Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Obama's Second Term

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Obama's Second Term

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 111 total)
  • Author

thirstychef
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    LOL @ the civilians being to blame for getting killed by drones.

Come on.

So your neighbor is a terrorist who you know is plotting to kill people with acts of terror in another country.

That neighbor has threatened to kill you if you tell.

So you don’t tell, a drone kills them, and you as a byproduct.

So its the terrorists fault, the government’s fault, but you are free of responsibility? Even though you could have spoke up? Possibly prevented the situation?

Interesting……

I wish I lived in your world. :)

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

So you didn’t actually read the Columbia study or the links on previous pages, huh?

One of the main reasons terrorists aren’t being killed is terrorists aren’t being targeted. They’re targeting political opposition to the guys we like in power within our intelligence community.

thirstychef
    Participant

So its like the political smear campaign that both Democrats and Republicans use here in the US.

Except in this case, the people the US doesn’t like get “smeared” all over the pavement.

Schoolboy
    Participant

thirstychef said:
    So its like the political smear campaign that both Democrats and Republicans use here in the US.

Except in this case, the people the US doesn’t like get “smeared” all over the pavement.

Kind of makes you think huh?

Why is it a CIA program exactly? Oh yeah, so they can use the same tactics in this country. Only question is, how far will they eventually take it.

myliftkk
    Participant

rus said:
    Guess you can enjoy laughing about that, then.

Don’t know that I care enough to laugh.

The over-arching issue is both groups fear the opposite of the political spectrum so much that they embrace obviously negligent parties as a desperate plea to be relevant.

Now, what is interesting is that in some cases (the GOP primary process), the libs are winning out. Not so for the pacifist left. My guess is you won’t see the pacifist left strike out on its own until the GOP splinters itself. At that point, the fear of the GOP will subside and it’s more likely that pieces of the left that have been neglected by the Dems will strike out on their own.

So, if you want things to change, one of the parties needs to break up unwillingly, which will likely cause the other party to follow suit. Obama seems to be doing his best, along w/ the ultra-right, to make that happen to the GOP.

myliftkk
    Participant

Schoolboy said:
    Kind of makes you think huh?

Why is it a CIA program exactly? Oh yeah, so they can use the same tactics in this country. Only question is, how far will they eventually take it.

That’s a bit of a reach.

I’d say they’re going to leave it CIA as long as they can, simply because it’s more likely to ensure that the true capabilities stay out of the hands of our nominal competitors. Drone warfare is a big change in power projection capabilities with minimal projector personal risk, at least upfront. Not much an AA system can do when you can overwhelm them incoming cruise missiles and unmanned aircraft.

Schoolboy
    Participant

myliftkk said:
    That’s a bit of a reach.

I’d say they’re going to leave it CIA as long as they can, simply because it’s more likely to ensure that the true capabilities stay out of the hands of our nominal competitors. Drone warfare is a big change in power projection capabilities with minimal projector personal risk, at least upfront. Not much an AA system can do when you can overwhelm them incoming cruise missiles and unmanned aircraft.

How much of a reach is it? Out of lunch time, or I would find multiple links to all of the govt litigation happening as we speak over the use of drone strikes within our borders.

Point being is that the desire is there now.

myliftkk
    Participant

Who is litigating who?

Schoolboy
    Participant

Not sure what you are asking exactly.

The use of drones in the US has been a hot topic for some time now. Even more recently it has become fairly bi-partisan.

http://www.aclu.org/national-security/aclu-supports-bipartisan-domestic-drone-bill

When that whole lapd cop manhunt deal was going on, had read a couple of reports that the government was ready/willing to use deadly drone force to end the situation. Now, I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not sure if that is factual. It seems that the media’s #1 source has been twitter these days.

News
    Participant

Whatever Happened to the White House Office of Urban Affairs?
    POSTED BY RYAN HOLEYWELL | MARCH 29, 2013

Four years ago, city officials were thrilled when President Obama announced the creation of the White House Office of Urban Affairs. Led by former Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrión Jr., the office — in the words of the president — would focus on “wise investments and development in our urban areas that will … make our country more competitive, prosperous and strong.” Today, many of the stakeholders who interacted with the office at its outset say it never lived up to its promises.

READ MORE: http://www.governing.com/blogs/fedwatch/gov-federal-office-of-urban-affairs-still-exist.html

News
    Participant

ACLU: Obama Worse Than Bush On Civil Liberty Issues
    Friday June 14, 2013 12:19 PM
    By Jim Heath

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The associate director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio says the Obama administration is worse than its predecessor on issues of transparency.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/06/14/columbus-aclu-says-obama-worse-than-bush-on-sivil-liberty-issues.html

rus
    rus
    Participant

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/06/19/headwinds_for_obama_118867.html

Headwinds for Obama

There is almost no good news for President Barack Obama in the CNN/ORC poll that was released earlier this week.

As the President giggled and played rock, paper, scissors with Russian President Vladimir Putin at the G-8 Conference in Ireland, the bloom appears to have begun to come off the Obaman Rose as far as the American people are concerned.

This is one poll taken last week (Tuesday through Thursday) so it might not signal a trend, but it certainly won’t generate confidence in the West Wing.

Let’s go to the video tape.

In overall approval, the President was +8 in May’s poll, 53-45. But in the most recent poll the President’s approval rating has dropped to 45-54 or -9.

That’s a negative shift of 17 percentage points in one month.

Every Democrat who has been pointing to the President’s fairly steady approval numbers as evidence that his goodwill among his base has an insulating property to protect him against the NSA snooping, the IRS, the Benghazi problem, the DoJ collecting reporters’ phone records and targeting Fox’s James Rosen, Syria, Turkey, and maybe a Kryptonite asteroid that might have the Earth in its sights.

On what are known as the “issue handling” questions (Do you approve or disapprove of the way Barack Obama is handling:

The Economy – 42-57 (-15)
    Foreign Affairs – 44-54 (-10)
    Deficit/budget – 34-64 (-30)
    Immigration – 40-56 (-16)
    NSA/Surveillance – 35-61 (-26)

I didn’t leave out the good issues. That’s the whole list.

On the “Do you consider the President to be honest & trustworthy” question the result was 49-50.
    That is only minus one so it doesn’t look so bad. But a month ago that result was 58-41 (+17). So, it represents an 18 percentage point drop.

myliftkk
    Participant

A just released poll (Pew?) wasn’t as negative as the CNN one, but I do think Obama’s got some issues that probably call for a little less word salad from officials, especially of the security variety.

Benghazi and the IRS will be forgotten in a couple weeks (the IRS testimony transcripts aren’t nearly interesting), but the NSA thing is going to hang on thru the summer I wager. Unless the admin takes a pretty radical approach to transparency, they’re gonna be hard pressed to win back trust on the NSA issue anytime soon.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

In 4.5 years Obama has spent an estimated $289M for actions against medical marijuana.

Bush in his entire eight year term spent an estimated $189M for same.

“I will not expend DoJ resources to circumvent State laws on this [medical marijuana] issue.” – Barack Obama, 2007

Forward.

rus
    rus
    Participant

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2013/06/26/poll-ohioans-souring-on-president-barack-obama/

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A poll finds that President Barack Obama’s job approval ratings are skidding among voters in Ohio, the swing state he carried twice.

The poll released Wednesday by Quinnipiac University indicates that 57 percent of voters disapproved of the way Obama is doing things as president, his lowest grade ever in Ohio.

The poll finds 40 percent approve of Obama’s job performance, with independent voters moving away from the president.

The same poll earlier reported that Republican Ohio Gov. John Kasich’s approval ratings reached a new high.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 111 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE