Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Obama's Second Term

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Obama's Second Term

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #531063

    Pablo
    Participant

    Snarf said:

    Don’t forget the republican controlled house was on recess last week and John Boehner was playing golf in Florida the same time as Obama. You could run two cartoons side by side and the only thing you would have to change is the skin color of the golfer to orange.

    #531064
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

    Delay, delay, delay. Blame, blame, blame.

    Fire them all, I say. It’s embarrassing.

    #531065

    Schoolboy
    Participant

    Pablo said:
    Don’t forget the republican controlled house was on recess last week and John Boehner was playing golf in Florida the same time as Obama. You could run two cartoons side by side and the only thing you would have to change is the skin color of the golfer to orange.

    Strange isn’t it. All that press behind the last “cliff”, now barely any leading up to this one. Neither side seems to give a damn (maybe related). Both sides of the political sports fans pointing fingers instead of pressing their own leaders (typical).

    That’s ok though, because at least we’ll magically fix the issue of mass shootings with gun control methods that mean absolutely nothing. Not to mention blindly slash money towards programs in hopes they collapse completely (social security, medicare, etc…).

    Obama and team D might have a slightly better public opinion poll on who’s fault this all is, but they fail to realize that team R is way more fanatical and half of current team D support comes from finicky independant voters. Voters that will completely abandon them the first time a real presidential nominee gets thrown in front of them to vote for.

    #531066
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

    Schoolboy said:
    Strange isn’t it. All that press behind the last “cliff”, now barely any leading up to this one. Neither side seems to give a damn (maybe related). Both sides of the political sports fans pointing fingers instead of pressing their own leaders (typical).

    That’s ok though, because at least we’ll magically fix the issue of mass shootings with gun control methods that mean absolutely nothing. Not to mention blindly slash money towards programs in hopes they collapse completely (social security, medicare, etc…).

    Obama and team D might have a slightly better public opinion poll on who’s fault this all is, but they fail to realize that team R is way more fanatical and half of current team D support comes from finicky independant voters. Voters that will completely abandon them the first time a real presidential nominee gets thrown in front of them to vote for.

    Yeah, Obama will likely go the way of Bush when his terms up, quiet never to be heard from again shitty president.

    #531067

    myliftkk
    Participant

    Schoolboy said:
    Strange isn’t it. All that press behind the last “cliff”, now barely any leading up to this one. Neither side seems to give a damn (maybe related). Both sides of the political sports fans pointing fingers instead of pressing their own leaders (typical).

    That’s ok though, because at least we’ll magically fix the issue of mass shootings with gun control methods that mean absolutely nothing. Not to mention blindly slash money towards programs in hopes they collapse completely (social security, medicare, etc…).

    Obama and team D might have a slightly better public opinion poll on who’s fault this all is, but they fail to realize that team R is way more fanatical and half of current team D support comes from finicky independant voters. Voters that will completely abandon them the first time a real presidential nominee gets thrown in front of them to vote for.

    I’m not sure what tea leaves you’re reading, the GOP is freaking out over this. All Obama has to do is sit on his position and the GOP will snap between the piece of the party that always wanted across-the-board cuts, and the piece that loves the military and elderly transfers. Since Obama’s position really is a position of both tax increases/spending cuts, there’s little political sense for him to adopt the GOP position of all spending cuts for stuff the GOP hates.

    They realize a good portion of the current GOP is fanatics, that’s why there’s zero incentive to cave.

    #531068
    rus
    rus
    Participant

    Snarf said:
    Yeah, Obama will likely go the way of Bush when his terms up, quiet never to be heard from again shitty president.

    his teleprompter will sign one hell of a book deal, though.

    #531069

    Schoolboy
    Participant

    rus said:
    his teleprompter will sign one hell of a book deal, though.

    Nothing compared to the book deal Obama will make. He’ll make an easy 8 figures.

    #531070
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

    Schoolboy said:
    Nothing compared to the book deal Obama will make. He’ll make an easy 8 figures.

    Yes, the publishers may very well pay President Obama an advance in excess of $100 million for his memiores. They game him a $200 thousand advance when he was just a law school grad. It will be interesting to see whether the book sells well enough to make a profit for the publisher.

    But making a profit does not always seem to be a factor private and public entities deal with powerful people. Just look at the crazy compensation paid to Jake Lew by NYU and CitiiCorp. And…a friend told me that the President of U of Cincinnati got a severence payment of $1.3 million after serving for less than 2 years.

    #531071

    thirstychef
    Participant

    Snarf said:
    Yeah, Obama will likely go the way of Bush when his terms up, quiet never to be heard from again shitty president.

    I would say un-remarkable rather than shitty.

    He went from “Yes We Can!”

    to

    “Hey, at least as I am not as bad as the other guy………”

    #531072
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    thirstychef said:
    I would say un-remarkable rather than shitty.

    He went from “Yes We Can!”

    to

    “Hey, at least as I am not as bad as the other guy………”

    Disagree. Despite a congress that is actually operating with the single goal of preventing him from governing, he’s made huge strides in gay rights, health care, ended the Iraq War, killed Bin Ladin, soon to be ending the Afghan War, helped turn around the auto industry, reversed at least some of the Bush Tax Cuts, presided during a time of record market gains, arguably passed a stimulus that kept the US out of a true depression, reformed college funding, signed the Fair Sentencing Act, led real developments in renewable energy and cut reliance on foreign oil, put two pro-choice women on the court, created the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and a LOT of other things I would consider major accomplishments.

    And again, he did all this in the face of a horrible economy that wasn’t his creation and a congress that brought a new definition to the word oppositional.

    #531073
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

    I do like the strides in gay rights, I’m glad he changed his mind again to support gay marriage. You know before he was against/before/against it in the past depending on elections.

    #531074
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    Snarf said:
    I do like the strides in gay rights, I’m glad he changed his mind again to support gay marriage. You know before he was against/before/against it in the past depending on elections.

    He was never “against” it. He ran on support of legalizing same sex marriage in 96, undecided on marriage/for civil unions after that, and pro-marriage again now. Even in ’08 when he was supposedly against same sex marriage, he had voted against the Federal Marriage Amendment in ’06 and opposed prop 8 in the same year.

    I think you could safely say he didn’t champion gay marriage consistently, but he never opposed it.

    #531075

    thirstychef
    Participant

    Coremodels said:
    Disagree. Despite a congress that is actually operating with the single goal of preventing him from governing, he’s made huge strides in gay rights, health care, ended the Iraq War, killed Bin Ladin, soon to be ending the Afghan War, helped turn around the auto industry, reversed at least some of the Bush Tax Cuts, presided during a time of record market gains, arguably passed a stimulus that kept the US out of a true depression, reformed college funding, signed the Fair Sentencing Act, led real developments in renewable energy and cut reliance on foreign oil, put two pro-choice women on the court, created the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and a LOT of other things I would consider major accomplishments.

    And again, he did all this in the face of a horrible economy that wasn’t his creation and a congress that brought a new definition to the word oppositional.

    Almost half those accomplishments a Republican President or another Democratic President would have had to do anyhow. Iraq, Afghanistan, and Stimulus were all things that were going to happen.

    Health Care reform (which I am for), still has to play out and only history will determine if it works the way they intended.

    The congress that worked against him (both Democrat and Republican) was part of his problems from the get go. He couldn’t find a way to get things done across the aisles.

    What he has done is solidify the Democratic voting base so the party will remain strong.

    His typical Democratic over spending is not good for the future.

    Barack Obama>Jimmy Carter, but not by much.

    #531076
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    thirstychef said:
    Over half those accomplishments a Republican President or another Democratic President would have had to do anyhow. Iraq, Afghanistan, and Stimulus were all things that were going to happen.

    …you really think we’d be out of Iraq or this close to out of Afghanistan under McCain? Disagree.

    Claiming a Republican would have passed The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 is just crazy talk.

    #531077
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

    He sure has killed a lot of innocent children via bullshit drones. A lot more than Sandy Hook.

    That I’m not so much a fan of either.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!