Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

ntsb recommends lowering BAC to .05 for OVI's (dui's) nationally

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat ntsb recommends lowering BAC to .05 for OVI's (dui's) nationally

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

mrpoppinzs

FireEngine said:
    You know the standards apply when you are riding your bike (aka operating a vehicle).

Good point! I wonder if that is widely known.

This is not just a suburban issue. The sheer density of bars in the SN and AD would make them a target for strong OVI enforcement. They already are! I am not sure of the long term ramifications but if current observations of revelers in the SN stay to form this would be like shooting fish in a barrel. It is a very rare night that I limit myself to one or two drinks when out over the weekend.

Personally, I would rather have stronger enforcement and penalties for the laws currently on the books.

susank

I know this might be unpopular. I wouldn’t have a problem with it. It would only bring the U.S. in line with most of the rest of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_driving_law_by_country

pez
    Participant

susank said:
    I know this might be unpopular. I wouldn’t have a problem with it. It would only bring the U.S. in line with most of the rest of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_driving_law_by_country

That’s a pretty poor justifiction to do anything. For example, most of the rest of the world doesn’t allow same sex marriage.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

The biggest problem I have with this is checkpoints. I don’t believe most under 200 pound people are impaired after 2 beers, so there normally wouldn’t be any reason for them to come into contact with law enforcement an be subject to a BAC test. The ability of cops to just randomly check everyone who drives by without probable cause is an issue to me.

bucki12

I agree about the checkpoints. That is without cause.

On any given weekend though you can see the cops fishing for DUI’s on High St. With that many people there are plenty of failures to signal, burned out bulbs, and tailgaters. I even remember seeing a guy being told he was driving too slow. If this passes it may change how a lot of people go out on the town.

RhondaH

FireEngine said:
    You know the standards apply when you are riding your bike (aka operating a vehicle).

You can get arrested for dui on a bike? We have never been sloshed when we ride them but it is our go to method for getting to the St. James. It feels safer than walking there late at night.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

RhondaH said:
    You can get arrested for dui on a bike?

Yep. Moving vehicle.

DavidSLewis
    Participant

pez said:
    That’s a pretty poor justifiction to do anything. For example, most of the rest of the world doesn’t allow same sex marriage.

The United States is a very different country from nearly every other in the world; I hate seeing big sprawling laws applied to a socially and geographically diverse nation of rural, urban, and sub-urban citizens, all with different customs and local laws. Drunk driving related accidents are down. People in this country like to drink, and bars like to make money. This seems silly. I don’t drive when I have more than two beers in me, and even two makes me nervous…I usually just drink another two or three real quick, to simplify my decision. Those who drink four and drive are not less likely to if the BAC is lowered. I don’t really see what this will do, other than hurt bars. (Disclaimer: I’m commenting on these comments, and haven’t read the NTSB report; perhaps they justify it well.)

FireEngine
    Participant

RhondaH said:
    You can get arrested for dui on a bike? We have never been sloshed when we ride them but it is our go to method for getting to the St. James. It feels safer than walking there late at night.

You can get arrested for dui on a riding lawnmower. A bike is a vehicle just like a car, bus or motorized beer cooler.

pez
    Participant

DavidSLewis said:
    The United States is a very different country from nearly every other in the world; I hate seeing big sprawling laws applied to a socially and geographically diverse nation of rural, urban, and sub-urban citizens, all with different customs and local laws. Drunk driving related accidents are down. People in this country like to drink, and bars like to make money. This seems silly. I don’t drive when I have more than two beers in me, and even two makes me nervous…I usually just drink another two or three real quick, to simplify my decision. Those who drink four and drive are not less likely to if the BAC is lowered. I don’t really see what this will do, other than hurt bars. (Disclaimer: I’m commenting on these comments, and haven’t read the NTSB report; perhaps they justify it well.)

Agreed, and are people in the .05-.08 BAC really a problem? On the flip side, it would help reduce the negative stigma around DWI as many more people would relate to having a couple drinks with dinner and driving home.

bocce19

You know it’s overboard when the number one interest group that fights against drunk driving doesn’t even support it. Good for MADD.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloomberg/article/Cutting-U-S-Drunken-Driving-Limit-to-05-Not-4515931.php

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: