Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

ntsb recommends lowering BAC to .05 for OVI's (dui's) nationally

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat ntsb recommends lowering BAC to .05 for OVI's (dui's) nationally

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

buckette13

U.S. safety board proposes tougher drunk-driving threshold

The National Transportation Safety Board recommended that all 50 states lower the threshold from 0.08 blood-alcohol content (BAC) to 0.05.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/14/us/ntsb-blood-alcohol/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

My brother is part owner of a small bar and thinks this could potentially impact his business as a 100 lb woman would hit this with one drink for 40 minutes. At two drinks the same woman would have to wait 3 hours 20 minutes to be legal to drive. I don’t want drunks on the street, but is this a little too low?

2080418_f520.jpg

* One drink is equal to 1 oz. of 80-proof liquor, 12 oz. of beer, or 4 oz. of table wine. Subtract .01% for each 40 minutes of drinking

mrmann

I would tell her to get some meat on her bones. At a lot of the bars I frequent this might not be an issue. ;)

GCrites80s
    Participant

This is going to hurt sprawl.

Mercurius
    Participant

They should just make it 0.0 and have a mouth wash clause.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

GCrites80s said:

Nobody drives cars anymore. Didn’t you hear?

rus
    rus
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    Nobody drives cars anymore. Didn’t you hear?

How do people get around? Would there be a train, perhaps?

mrpoppinzs

GCrites80s said:

It might help the Nite Owl Cota bus but I think it could hurt bars in general even in the SN and Grandview depending on enforcement. There is a lot of money being made in alcohol sales. As it is, the number of people taking dates on buses or cabs is fairly limited.

gramarye
    Participant

Maybe the cab driver lobby at work?

billbix

GCrites80s said:

There was a large discussion in City-Data.com about this last year. Someone needed to bring up Hitler as it got pretty circular.

DWI/DUI’s: Is car dependency to blame?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/urban-planning/1563943-dwi-duis-car-dependency-blame.html

I don’t go out as much as I used to, but when I do I probably average 3 to 4 beers over the course of a full evening. I am afraid to look what that is on the chart.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

They really need to update the chart to include body weight tiers above 240 pounds. What kind of American adult weighs less than 200 pounds these days?

ricospaz
    Participant

We are all doomed

GCrites80s
    Participant

billbix said:
    There was a large discussion in City-Data.com about this last year. Someone needed to bring up Hitler as it got pretty circular.

DWI/DUI’s: Is car dependency to blame?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/urban-planning/1563943-dwi-duis-car-dependency-blame.html

I don’t go out as much as I used to, but when I do I probably average 3 to 4 beers over the course of a full evening. I am afraid to look what that is on the chart.

I made it 1 1/2 pages in before it got too city-data for me.

RhondaH

Living in Italian Village we now walk or ride bikes to the bars and restaurants in the SN. A big perk over our last place in OTE.

leftovers

ricospaz said:
    We are all doomed

FireEngine
    Participant

RhondaH said:
    Living in Italian Village we now walk or ride bikes to the bars and restaurants in the SN. A big perk over our last place in OTE.

You know the standards apply when you are riding your bike (aka operating a vehicle).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: