Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Northside Columbus Metropolitan Library Branch

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Northside Columbus Metropolitan Library Branch

This topic contains 32 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Pablo 3 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

leftovers

From my experience the frustrating factor is the density of the lot combined with:

1) multiple people pulling in an out at the same time with not the greatest viewing angles and guessing who is letting whom go first.

2) the mix of pedestrians, bicycles, carts and cars with many pedestrians and bikes flowing through the parking lot in haphazard manners. The abandoned carts just add bonus points.

3) the flow of the major drive lanes

Regardless, I love the new Kroger. I can understand why there would be some frustration with the parking lot and until Rory’s post the ennui of adding a new dynamic. The parking lot isn’t bad, just frustrating at times. They did a great job of not making it the focal point.

It could just be me, but I think Lennox also has a bit of a frustrating lot.

jbcmh81
    Participant

joshlapp said:
    Even on Super Bowl Sunday, one of the busiest days of the year I still parked in the front half of the lot.

If you are complaining about
    a) having to wait for someone to pull out of their spot to get one or
    b) complaining about having to walk from the back of a small parking lot you get no sympathy

In the densest part of a large city people need to get rid of an expectation of an easy parking spot. Move to Hillard Rome Road if you want a giant parking lot.

Hopefully the Library developers come up with a creative solution to their parking needs.

Agreed. While the Kroger building itself is much more urban, the parking lot is still a suburban-style lot that only got a bit smaller. Some kind of garage with ground-floor retail-mixed use would be much better, imo. Still, even then, we’re talking about an urban neighborhood that is densifying. If nothing else, parking for cars is only going to get more difficult.

labi
    Participant

joshlapp said:
    If you are complaining about
    a) having to wait for someone to pull out of their spot to get one or
    b) complaining about having to walk from the back of a small parking lot you get no sympathy

I can be sympathetic, I guess, but I agree that I suspect people’s complaints are a matter of frustrated expectations, rather than inability to find a single free parking space. I’m at that Kroger with my car often, and although sometimes I do have to search for a minute, I’ve always found a space. To me, that’s a sign that the lot is the right size – parking lots SHOULD be really full at peak times.

News
    Participant

FROM HERE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/design-digest-nbbj-bw1

The great thing about the Northside site is that it brings together two parts of Columbus; the OSU Campus Gateway area and the Short North. This project has the opportunity to bridge the gap and spur development, but in a way that helps serve the community as whole. It’s a little early to say too much about the project, because they’re just in the early stages of programming. But it’s being thought of as a mixed-use development in which the library will be the primary anchor. It’s kind of a pioneer building: it’s going into a zone that’s not as well-defined as the blocks to the north and the south.

honestlyinsincere
    Participant

northside-library-renderingHere’s the latest rendering for the Northside Library branch. There will be a public meeting at the current Northside Library on Tuesday, April 14 at 5:30pm for feedback.

howatzer
    Participant

Couldn’t they move that tree a little to the right to hide the village idiot?

laikaorbit
    Participant

Looks awesome, this sort of design could really stand out in that area of south campus. Is that parking lot in between the library and Village Idiot still remaining?

laikaorbit
    Participant

Couldn’t they move that tree a little to the right to hide the village idiot?

I think the tree would have to be in the street in order to hide the sign from this angle.

ehill27
    Participant

Looks pretty swanky. I’m just a little perturbed they’re talking about taking it offline at the same time as the downtown library.

TomB
    Participant

I like the idea of a state-of-the-art library, and all that a library represents, helping to unite South Campus and the Short North.

The design looks pretty corporate.
    I wonder if the increased space will translate to a larger browsing collection? Does anyone know?
    It would be great to have more/better books to browse.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I really like it, especially the large windows. Really opens it up, makes it feel like part of the streetscape.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

This is my favorite design overall, and I really dig the new Driving Park branch. The idea of a usable second story here is really exciting.
    While I do hope to see some expansion of the browsing collection, I would suspect they are increasing the footprint for their heavily used teen and children’s area. Not to sound like a curmudgeon, but wading through kids due to the proximity the children’s area and the front door is not one of my favorite things. I also suspect they plan to expand their public computer area as well as that is always heavily used when I stop in.

chupicabraz
    Participant

This will be a nice and unique addition to the area.

News
    Participant

New Renderings of Northside Library Branch Unveiled, Construction Delayed
    August 24, 2015 12:23 pm – Walker Evans

We got our first look at the new Northside branch of the Columbus Metropolitan Library system back in April when architectural firm NBBJ first revealed the design of the new two-story building at 1423 North High Street. Today, we’re getting a better look from a couple of different angles with updated renderings that show the new building both inside and out.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/northside-columbus-metropolitan-library

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.