Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Northside Columbus Metropolitan Library Branch

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Northside Columbus Metropolitan Library Branch

This topic contains 32 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Pablo 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

heresthecasey
    Participant

Very good news. The redevelopment of the library could help serve as a catalyst for development in that last stretch of High St acting as a barrier between campus and the SN. Glad to hear that it will be multi-storey and almost quadrupling in size (7,000 to 27,000 sq ft), that branch is always very crowded. Also good to see competent heads leading the project forward, (Pizzuti and NBBJ). Can’t wait for some updates.

Hopefully this spurs some action on the stalled projects at 7th/High (Dollar Tree and the corner building on the Krogers site).

News
    Participant

Library Considering Multi-Story, Mixed Use Building for New Northside Branch
    Published on March 26, 2013 11:00 pm
    By: Brent Warren

The Columbus Metropolitan Library (CML) is looking at putting a new, larger Northside branch into a mixed-use development on the same site. Hoping to take advantage of its location between the Short North and the OSU campus, the library has selected the Pizzuti Companies to develop concepts for the branch, which sits at 1423 North High Street.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/library-considering-multi-story-mixed-use-building-for-new-northside-branch-bw1

leftovers

Awesome and Pizzuti seems a good fit!

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

I am really happy to see CML thriving! With the expansion of the neighborhood with all of the new housing developments in Harrison West, Weinland Park and Italian Village, this branch definitely needs better capacity and expanded resources.

goldenidea
    Participant

Hopefully this spurs some action on the stalled projects at 7th/High (Dollar Tree and the corner building on the Krogers site).

Diverging briefly from the library thread (I’ll get back on-topic as I close) but commenting on this general locale of N. High and King… While I definitely see the value of adding a corner or street front building(s) on the Kroger lot and recognize that was/is planned, I wonder if it is feasible. It seems that at many times, Kroger’s entire new parking lot is JAMMED.

I’ve recently become acquainted with several people living right behind Kroger on Courtland and Indianola. They said that there’s even a significant amount of on-street parking generated by the Kroger.

During the new Kroger design period these neighbors cautioned the Kroger managers that the lot was too small for the building (I can’t give the basis of that viewpoint). They also asked if some kind of storefront amenity (e.g. a café) might be built into the side of the new building facing Courtland (that didn’t happen. Courtland residents now face the “Great Wall”). These neighbors said Kroger wasn’t overly receptive to their suggestions/requests.

I’ve heard all of this second-hand so take it FWIW. Personally, I think the Kroger is a very positive addition to the Short North/Weinland Park/south campus area at large.

Hopefully, when the new library is planned and designed, it’s impact on surrounding buildings will be considered. Of course if the building size is going to triple or more, the demand for parking will likely grow significantly also. I love this library and visit it often, frequently by walking there. I can see why they want to expand it. It’s often very crowded.

mrmann

Just want to throw in my 2 cents that Goldenidea is dead on about the issues with the Kroger lot. I can’t imagine chewing up more of it with out buildings.

I love the little library and use it fairly frequently. I really hope this project happens.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

I go to the SN Kroger 3-4 times a week, at all hours, and even on the busiest days I’ve never had trouble parking. I also never have trouble walking or busing to Kroger. Hurrah for a new library. Great for the neighborhood and the built environment.

leftovers

Still exited about the library. As far as Kroger, I assume the parking lot could still adapt to some external buildings but on weekends and early evenings the parking lot is pretty packed and a little frustrating to navigate. It is a victim of the store’s own success.

rory
    Participant

As I remember the Kroger parking situation was expected all along. The ideal tenant for the external buildings was thought to be a business that had needed very little parking such as a take-out pizza place or something along that line.

leftovers

That is good to know. Thanks for sharing that.

Graybeak
    Participant

good point. take out pizza places don’t need anyplace for customers to park.

I do enjoy reading the comments that essentially say “I don’t have any problems so no one else does either”

goldenidea
    Participant

It’s interesting that North High Brewing Co., located south across 6th Ave from the Kroger liquor store has a fenced-in dedicated parking area ON the Kroger lot, behind (east of) the Kroger loading docks at 6th & Courtland. I never noticed that parking was there until I met a bud at NHBC who drove down from Delaware Co. and mentioned how nice it was to park there. I wonder how NHBC got rights to that lot.

dru
    Participant

goldenidea said:
    It’s interesting that North High Brewing Co., located south across 6th Ave from the Kroger liquor store has a fenced-in dedicated parking area ON the Kroger lot, behind (east of) the Kroger loading docks at 6th & Courtland. I never noticed that parking was there until I met a bud at NHBC who drove down from Delaware Co. and mentioned how nice it was to park there. I wonder how NHBC got rights to that lot.

if you think back to the old Kroger, it never had that corner. A larger fenced in lot at the corner of Courtland and 6th was always there (the Swaco dumpsters used to line the fence). I suspect (read pure conjecture) it was owned either by the building and/or Janton Supply and that part was never sold to Kroger.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    good point. take out pizza places don’t need anyplace for customers to park.

I do enjoy reading the comments that essentially say “I don’t have any problems so no one else does either”

Even on Super Bowl Sunday, one of the busiest days of the year I still parked in the front half of the lot.

If you are complaining about
    a) having to wait for someone to pull out of their spot to get one or
    b) complaining about having to walk from the back of a small parking lot you get no sympathy

In the densest part of a large city people need to get rid of an expectation of an easy parking spot. Move to Hillard Rome Road if you want a giant parking lot.

Hopefully the Library developers come up with a creative solution to their parking needs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.