Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Rumor: North Market to be demolished? FALSE

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Rumor: North Market to be demolished? FALSE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

foodiemonster
    Participant

Heard a disturbing rumor from a reliable source that the 20 year lease on the North Market building is about to expire and the city is reluctant to renew it. Apparently the city is considering demolishing the North Market building to make way for a high rise hotel. There is no plan for an alternative location for the current North Market.
    Clearly, this would be a major loss to the residents of Columbus. I urge everyone reading this to email/ call Mayor Ginther’s office to voice your concerns…

RBloodworth
    Participant

Well, I guess it’s April 1st somewhere at this moment. Please let this be a hoax…

ohbr
    Participant

I urge everyone reading this to email/ call Mayor Ginther’s office to voice your concerns…

Or we could wait to see if the rumor is true

tolemac5050
    Participant

A day early with April fools. But it is CBUS…we need more apts.

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>foodiemonster wrote:</div>
    I urge everyone reading this to email/ call Mayor Ginther’s office to voice your concerns…

Well not just any rumor. It’s a first post by a new user with info from an unnamed source. Face it, the North Market is done.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Mixed use luxury condos.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

(sigh)

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ohbr wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>foodiemonster wrote:</div><br>

Well not just any rumor. It’s a first post by a new user with info from an unnamed source. Face it, the North Market is done.

nailed it

ricospaz
    Participant

tear it down! tear it down. more parking lots, more parking lots!

Eugene_C
    Participant

I saw the renderings, only 6 stories? They should be going for at least 12. And why can’t they use better quality materials on the exterior?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I saw the renderings, only 6 stories? They should be going for at least 12. And why can’t they use better quality materials on the exterior?

They should at least keep elements of the facade.

Seriously though, I just spoke with North Market Executive Director Rick Wolfe on the phone, who wanted me to relay that this rumor is 100% untrue.

As if anyone could seriously think that it was a possibility.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eugene_C wrote:</div>

They should at least keep elements of the facade.

Seriously though, I just spoke with North Market Executive Director Rick Wolfe on the phone, who wanted me to relay that this rumor is 100% untrue.

As if anyone could seriously think that it was a possibility.

with the amount of April fools you’re putting out did you really fall for one? :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

with the amount of April fools you’re putting out did you really fall for one? :)

Heh… no, Rick called me. He saw the thread and asked that I clarify. He didn’t want the rumor to go without being addressed. Regardless of what day it is. ;)

Jeffersin
    Jeffersin
    Participant

Did he clarify that the the market is staying and the hotel is actually being built in the North Market parking lot?

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>

Heh… no, Rick called me. He saw the thread and asked that I clarify. He didn’t want the rumor to go without being addressed. Regardless of what day it is. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Did he clarify that the the market is staying and the hotel is actually being built in the North Market parking lot?

No, but he did say that some of the individual vendors within the North Market will be renting out their areas as sleeping quarters via AirBNB. So it’s not quite a hotel… more like a food-prep-based-hostel.

(That was a joke… just to be clear.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE