Our City Online

Messageboard - Columbus Festivals

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

North Market Food & Ohio Wine Festival 2011 - July 8, 9 and 10

Home Forums Events Columbus Festivals North Market Food & Ohio Wine Festival 2011 – July 8, 9 and 10

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

For the tenth year, the North Market has gathered eighteen of Ohio’s finest wineries to celebrate fine local cuisine and vino at the North Market Food & Ohio Wine Festival Presented by PNC. The festival will take place the weekend of July 8-10. Sponsoring organizations include PNC, Ohio Grape Industries, Master Clean, Ohio Magazine, Yelp, Columbus Crave and Columbus Alive.

The Food & Ohio Wine Festival will kick-off on Friday night with a special preview party from 7-10 p.m. Tickets to the event are $20 and include a commemorative wine glass, 10 tasting tickets and a $5 North Market gift certificate. Proceeds benefit the historic North Market. Columbus celebrities will serve as guest pourers for the wineries.

The following wineries from around Ohio will offer select wines by the 2 oz. taste ($1.00 cents to $4.00 each), glass, bottle and case: Chalet Debonne Vineyard, Madison; Ferrante Winery, Geneva; Firelands Winery, Sandusky; Henke Winery, Cincinnati; Laurello Vineyards, Geneva; Maize Valley Winery, Hartville; Markko Vineyard, Conneaut; Meranda-Nixon Winery, Ripley; Mon Ami Winery, Port Clinton; Raven’s Glenn Winery, West Lafayette; Soine Vineyards, Powell; St. Joseph Vineyards, Thompson; Stoney Ridge Winery, Bryan; Troutman Vineyards, Wooster; The Winery at Wolf Creek, Norton; Valley Vineyards, Morrow; Viking Vineyard, Kent and Wyandotte Winery, Columbus.

Festival hours are Friday, July 8, 7-10 p.m., Saturday, July 9, 11 a.m. – 8 p.m. and Sunday, July 10, 12 – 6 p.m. Preview Party admission is $20. Saturday and Sunday admission is free. A $5 tasting fee includes a souvenir glass with tasting tickets available for purchase in any quantity for $.50 apiece. For additional information on the North Market Food and Ohio Wine Festival, please call 614-463-9664 or visit http://www.northmarket.com

Twixlen
    Participant

Weird that tickets are 50 cents each, if the cheapest wine is $1.00.

Anyway – the Friday night event seems like a good value. I’m wondering if there will be snacks?!

cc

Twixlen said:
    Weird that tickets are 50 cents each, if the cheapest wine is $1.00.

2oz pours are anywhere from $1 to $4 (so 2 to 8 tickets).

Twixlen
    Participant

cc said:
    2oz pours are anywhere from $1 to $4 (so 2 to 8 tickets).

I totally get that. Why not save some tickets, and make those suckers a buck apiece? Instead of looking like I’ve been playing skeeball at the fair, they’ll subtly fit in my hand. ;)

cc

Cause $1.50 for wine is better than $2 for wine? :)

Twixlen
    Participant

cc said:
    Cause $1.50 for wine is better than $2 for wine? :)

BAH! See, you have me there! Hilarious. Obviously never occurred to me.

I was like those people who think we should get rid of pennies, there for a second.

DCist

Ive been to this event the past 3 years and last year was probably my final time. Somehow its ALWAYS on the hottest day of the year and there hasnt been anything new, we tasted the exact same wines every year :(

Cookie

DCist said:
    Ive been to this event the past 3 years and last year was probably my final time. Somehow its ALWAYS on the hottest day of the year and there hasnt been anything new, we tasted the exact same wines every year :(

I dragged a friend along a couple of years ago and he still refers to it as “that wine thing that was held on the surface of the sun.”

Rockmastermike
    Participant

yes, July in Columbus is generally not the best time to plan to be standing around on a blacktop parking lot.

That being said, Saturday is projected (by NWS, as of now) to be under 90! (barely but still under!) Steamy and sunny.

I want to recommend this event to some folks, but their health (they are older) will not allow spending much time in that environment, nor would they enjoy it much. :(

I’m gonna try to make it though. I don’t mind the heat. :)

cc

I have been going for several years and I have to agree with the sentiment. It would be nice if they moved this event to the early Fall.

DCist said:

The emphasized is not true. While the wineries and the name of the wines they pour are often the same, each year brings a new vintage with different characteristics. That is the beauty of a natural product like wine.

A.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’ve volunteered every year for the past three years and it’s always my worst sunburn of the year. ;) It’s a fun time for sure, but definitely worth ducking in and out of the market itself every 30 minutes or so to cool off if it’s 85+ out.

Cardiff

I’ve gone for three years and every year I swear it’s my last because it’s so crowded. I did the Friday “preview night” last year thinking it would be less crowded – no such luck, although it’s more of a dressier date night atmosphere. I didn’t really think it was worth the extra money. I recommend buying a cheese/cracker snack tray from Curds & Whey in the market to munch on while you taste. Also, don’t wait to buy bottles you like, I did that (not wanting to carry them around) and several of the ones I wanted sold out.

RissaRoo
    Participant

At the risk of sounding greedy, is there any potential for the volunteers earning tips?

KSquared

RissaRoo said:
    At the risk of sounding greedy, is there any potential for the volunteers earning tips?

Generally, tips go to the North Market bell tower fund and volunteers are treated very well, which to me is payment enough. Are you thinking of donating those tips to charity? I would contact Mary Martineau if you have questions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘Columbus Festivals’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: