Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

North Market bell tower

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion North Market bell tower

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

goldenidea
    Participant

Construction workers are presently erecting the NM bell tower. It’s made of prefab steel and is located at the NE corner of the parking lot, near the attendant booth. It appears that the bell should very soon be operational (tomorrow?). I snapped a few pics but not sure how to post them. This will be a really nice addition to the whole market/convention center area!

KACramer
    KACramer
    Participant

You just click the button that says “Choose File” under the message… Select the file to attach and there ya go!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Note the max file size is 512Kb so you will need to reduce the image size.

goldenidea
    Participant

Select the file to attach and there ya go!

OK, hoping this works; here they are (thanks for the guidance!)…

BTW, it appears there’s more work on the foundation to be done. Recalling that the NM was selling personalized bricks to help fund it, those still need to be installed. They’ll also probably have a dedication ceremony, so I doubt it will be working tomorrow. Maybe more like next week. But it’s looking good!

KACramer
    KACramer
    Participant

You can also go to http://tinypic.com/ and upload the image. Then you click “share” and copy the text where it says for “forum”… And past it into your post. Or just copy the link and put it in here. At least with Tiny Pic you won’t have to deal with re-sizing the image.

goldenidea
    Participant

Oops, files are too large. My iPhone photo files are all well over 1MB.

KACramer
    KACramer
    Participant

Um… Just letting you know that it appears that you have discovered the Block Quote feature of this website… but that has nothing to do with uploading images. Also, you block quoted your response and not my original comment. I’d suggest using the tinypic.com method above, but I don’t know if that is too many steps for you. No big deal.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Sorry for the image uploader issues. We’re working on changes/updates to that system to make it easier.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Via FB,

jOHnH
    Participant

Walker, what is the story behind the bell? This is the first I’m hearing about it.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Walker, what is the story behind the bell? This is the first I’m hearing about it.

After several years of quiet anticipation, the North Market Bell Tower is finally being erected. The original Market quarters, located at 29 Spruce Street, housed the bell years ago when it was rung twice a day to signal the start and end of a commercial day.

That bell fell during the 1948 fire at the Market building. It was then stored in the basement after the North Market moved to the former Quonset Hut (where it sits today), and efforts have been made since then to reinstate the bell, including accepting donations from prominent Columbus businesses.

North Market Bell Tower Under Construction

Jeffersin
    Jeffersin
    Participant

The Colbert Report aired its first episode just weeks before The North Market started to raise money for this bell stand. Pope John II was still alive. 50 cent’s Candy Shop just dropped. Point being? This took a long ass time to come to fruition!

KACramer
    KACramer
    Participant

I thought the bell tower was going to be and actual “tower” installed on the roof… I’m not complaining really, but I could have sworn that was the original plan.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: