Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

North Campus Dorm Redevelopment Project - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development North Campus Dorm Redevelopment Project – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Previously mentioned here: OSU May Develop “North Campus Gateway”

OSU plan would expand dorms

By Bill Bush The Columbus dispatch

Encarnacion Pyle The Columbus Dispatch

Sunday August 28, 2011

Ohio State University is planning a $317.5 million construction boom that would line north campus along Lane Avenue and N. High Street with low-rise dorms totaling more than a million square feet.

The buildings would add 3,200 beds to accommodate an estimated 6,000 sophomores at Ohio State, increasing the university’s housing stock by 31 percent.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/08/28/osuplan-would-expand-dorms.html

surber17
    Participant

Wow, it looks like Columbus is about to see some really exciting times over the next couple years!!!

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

I am a big fan of this plan. I like what OSU is doing. I started going there in 2000, and half the campus has been made over since then. I agree that even without sophomores to fill the off campus apartments, there will be plenty of demand. Hopefully some of the more fringe areas (NECO, Olde North, Dennison Place, WP) will see a further return to “non-student” housing. I think these type of improvements further set OSU up to continue to increase their enrollment.

rory
    Participant

Likes Old Houses said:
    I am a big fan of this plan. I like what OSU is doing. I started going there in 2000, and half the campus has been made over since then. I agree that even without sophomores to fill the off campus apartments, there will be plenty of demand. Hopefully some of the more fringe areas (NECO, Olde North, Dennison Place, WP) will see a further return to “non-student” housing. I think these type of improvements further set OSU up to continue to increase their enrollment.

I’m hoping the student footprint will shrink too but what do you do with an area of overpriced substandard housing next to a university?

Ameya

Hey, how about sending a little money over here to the family/international/graduate student housing area first? It is SHIT. My husband’s bike broke the other day just from riding on this decrepit road and all our trashcans are dragged BY the officials into our parking lots, blocking 4 spaces per caul-de-sac thing and making all our homes smell like rotting trash for at least 3 days a week. And that’s just the beginning. Take care of what you have before you go buying new things, OSU.

I’m glad they’re doing something about lane, but I’m a bit confused as to the graphic.. I don’t like what I’m seeing at all. Aren’t there already buildings in these areas? I’m confused, it actually looks less dense than it is now. I love nature.. but that green space looks excessive. It would make the walks from the dorms to class seem a lot longer from eye-boredom. We already have plenty of lawns where all the girls sit out almost naked, and the shirtless bros fight for their attention. We really don’t need more. Other than the oval I never see more than a couple people on them (if any) at a time. It’s a terrible waste of space. I had to redesign lane for an assignment.. and it was awesome, so I think they should use my idea instead. Ha.

I am also super against forcing students to live on campus EVER. Students are already forced to be wage slaves most of the time to pay off bachelor’s degrees that barely do anything any more (including my family with a worker with a degree still making below poverty line wages), they do NOT need to double their loans just to… what, exactly? It’s not like OSU is having a hard time drawing students up here. In fact, many ohio high schools have to tell most of their students not to even bother applying here because they’d never get in.

There is a lot more they could do if they really wanted to help their student’s grades, but we all know that this is a business move, not a pro-student move. Ugh.

rant rant. In short, FIX BUCKEYE VILLAGE, and do my plan for lane instead. :D

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

Ameya said:

rant rant. In short, FIX BUCKEYE VILLAGE, and do my plan for lane instead. :D

Everything I have seen shows BV going away at some point do to their outdatedness.

Can you share you plan for Lane Ave? Also, adding another 6000 students to North Campus will create demand for more greenspace and improved pedestrian movement.

myliftkk
    Participant

I guess I don’t understand this article quote:

But many business and apartment owners, and even some University District residents, say draining students out of their neighborhoods would bring blight, lower property values and more crime.

Why is there the assumption that blight follows student flight?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Ameya said:
    I’m glad they’re doing something about lane, but I’m a bit confused as to the graphic.. I don’t like what I’m seeing at all. Aren’t there already buildings in these areas? I’m confused, it actually looks less dense than it is now.

Six buildings being removed. Nine buildings being added. Some of the new ones have much larger footprints as well.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rory said:
    I’m hoping the student footprint will shrink too but what do you do with an area of overpriced substandard housing next to a university?

Option 1. Lower the rent.

Option 2. Fix it up.

;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

myliftkk said:
    I guess I don’t understand this article quote:

But many business and apartment owners, and even some University District residents, say draining students out of their neighborhoods would bring blight, lower property values and more crime.

Why is there the assumption that blight follows student flight?

If anything, I imagine property values would go up at least a little bit with fewer red plastic cups on the ground. ;)

rory
    Participant

Walker said:
    Option 1. Lower the rent.

Option 2. Fix it up.

;)

Or sell it?

I have troubling imagining some of the players who own a couple hundred properties pumping a bunch of money into them. But maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

News
    Participant

Ohio State may need multiple designers for dorm expansion
    Date: Friday, September 9, 2011
    Carrie Ghose
    Staff Reporter – Business First

One or more architecture firms could soon land a $4 million job to design a new student housing and recreation district on the northeast corner of the Ohio State University campus.

Trustees voted Friday to seek bids on the design work for an estimated $335 million project to add 3,200 beds over the next five years.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2011/09/ohio-state-may-need-multiple-designers.html

News
    Participant

Ohio State goes long to finance big projects
    By Bill Bush
    The Columbus Dispatch Saturday September 10, 2011

Taking another step into the world of long-term financing, Ohio State University will prepare to issue up to $500 million in 100-year, interest-only bonds to finance building projects under a plan approved by the Board of Trustees yesterday.

If the full $500 million is issued, it would raise the university’s authorized debt to $2.1 billion, Chatas said. That doesn’t include debt expected to be issued for a $317.5 million North Campus dorm project that would add 3,200 beds to the university housing stock.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/09/10/ohio-state-goes-long-to-finance-big-projects.html

dirtgirl
    Participant

Looks like the bill for dorm expansion is up to $350 million. Local landlords and the University Area Commission President are voicing opposition.

Plain Dealer, May 12, 2012: OSU considering move to shift all second-year students into campus housing, but critics abound

leftovers

From what I hear, the UAC is pretty much run by landlords. I am against the plan*, but I doubt there is anything that will stop it. Gee has insulated it with increased graduation rate figures. South Campus and Weinland Park landlords will still make money, just not as much.

*paid my way through college living in cheap apartments and eating crap. I think people should be given choices with the understanding that dorm living may increase odds of graduation.

dirtgirl said:
    Looks like the bill for dorm expansion is up to $350 million. Local landlords and the University Area Commission President are voicing opposition.

Plain Dealer, May 12, 2012: OSU considering move to shift all second-year students into campus housing, but critics abound

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE