Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

North Bank Condos — News & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion North Bank Condos — News & Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author

Motorist
    Participant

reSourceRyan wrote Great idea, that style would work in a lot of places. Are they able to stylize those more to fit in with older architecture? Like in OTE or Schumacher Place…

I think they are perfectly styled for an older neighborhood like OTE and Schumacher Place. In my opinion, it is a huge mistake to build faux historic new buildings in a historic neighborhood. Unless you are going to sink the massive amounts of dough required to build with true historic craftsmanship or detailing, you should build modern. The knock off historic crap that goes up all over town is in no way a tribute or homage to what was there originally, it ends up looking like a cheap knockoff. And Historic Review Commisions only reinforce this problem. Usually the people enforcing these guidelines have no architecture experience whatsoever.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

BUTerrier wrote Is that building on Goodale WC headquarters or just some warehouse? If that is headquarters that is by far the worst I have ever seen for a company that size.

It is their HQ. Anne used to do some contract work with their paperwork and she said the entire inside of the building smells like White Castle burgers since they serve them in their cafeteria there.

:o

Motorist wrote

reSourceRyan wrote Great idea, that style would work in a lot of places. Are they able to stylize those more to fit in with older architecture? Like in OTE or Schumacher Place…

I think they are perfectly styled for an older neighborhood like OTE and Schumacher Place. In my opinion, it is a huge mistake to build faux historic new buildings in a historic neighborhood. Unless you are going to sink the massive amounts of dough required to build with true historic craftsmanship or detailing, you should build modern. The knock off historic crap that goes up all over town is in no way a tribute or homage to what was there originally, it ends up looking like a cheap knockoff. And Historic Review Commisions only reinforce this problem. Usually the people enforcing these guidelines have no architecture experience whatsoever.

I totally agree they would need to have a modern look, but I don’t think the designs in that article would fit in well with the existing neighborhood. I’m sure they have other styles of homes or could at least alter the looks slightly dependent on the neighborhood they are being ‘installed.’ You can’t just plop a few of those design styles right next to a 150-year-old mansion without a little consideration for the specific neighborhood.

Motorist
    Participant

reSourceRyan wrote I totally agree they would need to have a modern look, but I don’t think the designs in that article would fit in well with the existing neighborhood. I’m sure they have other styles of homes or could at least alter the looks slightly dependent on the neighborhood they are being ‘installed.’ You can’t just plop a few of those design styles right next to a 150-year-old mansion without a little consideration for the specific neighborhood.

I definitely think you need to consider massing and density when you go into any neighborhood. And the suburban cul-de-sac arrangement would have to go.

Motorist wrote

reSourceRyan wrote I totally agree they would need to have a modern look, but I don’t think the designs in that article would fit in well with the existing neighborhood. I’m sure they have other styles of homes or could at least alter the looks slightly dependent on the neighborhood they are being ‘installed.’ You can’t just plop a few of those design styles right next to a 150-year-old mansion without a little consideration for the specific neighborhood.

I definitely think you need to consider massing and density when you go into any neighborhood. And the suburban cul-de-sac arrangement would have to go. Absolutely, and it looks like they do offer numerous high density options http://www.boklok.com. If you click UK for example, they have the terrace homes, but they also have buildings with what looks like about 4-6 flats in each structure. Not to say these would work especially well in OTE, but at least they have some options. Too many of those flat buildings and it would start to look like a modern version of the Grandview area.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

From their website it looks like all condos in the tower portion have been sold. http://www.northbankcondos.com/Portals/0/pdf/PricingSheet-newformat.pdf

heresthecasey
    Participant

It looks to me like there are 3 left to sell in the tower (nearly sold out), and 12 left to sell in the lofts portion, (which seems to either be priced too high or generally unattractive to buyers for some other reason).

If NRI does get their next residential project underway soon, I wouldn’t mind it being a standalone tower ;)

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

It looks to me like there are 3 left to sell in the tower (nearly sold out), and 12 left to sell in the lofts portion, (which seems to either be priced too high or generally unattractive to buyers for some other reason).

If NRI does get their next residential project underway soon, I wouldn’t mind it being a standalone tower ;)

YES! Prime real estate just to the east of North Bank condos overlooking the new Scioto River Greenway. If they start now it would be finished just in time to enjoy the new addition to the river park.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I recall seeing renderings somewhere (or maybe just my imagination) that a second tower was planned for the NE corner of Neil & Spring. I imagine they’re planned as for-sale condo units though and not rentals, and I think the condo market is still a little soft. Which is probably why they’ve been busy building nearly 400 rental units in the past three years between Flats II and Phases 1 & 2 of the Grandview Yard apartments.

Speaking of apartment units… has anyone been paying any attention to some of the development happening in NYC? They’re pencil thin and incredibly tall and certainly will look nice on post cards, but the number of actual units in them is incredibly small. An example is the tower at 107 West 57th Street, a monster at 77 stories and 1350-feet tall. That’s over twice as tall as Rhodes Tower. To build something like that in Columbus would look astronomically crazy.

But the number of apartment/condo units inside it? 61.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/02/17/construction_permits_in_place_for_shops_57th_street_tower.php

The Hub has 67 units:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/pricing-and-floorplans-released-for-the-hub-apartments-and-townhomes-bw1

Sure, this is quite the apples-to-oranges comparison, and the footprint of the NYC building is pretty tiny for the number of people who will live up inside it, but I think it speaks volumes about levels of density achievable in shorter buildings, even if they’re not as eye-catchingly tall.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Agreed that towers like this would look utterly ridiculous in Columbus, it’s kind of hard to imagine really, but the reason that these enormous towers have so few units is that they aren’t really meant to house your everyday New Yorkers. They’re mostly condos for the world’s ultra rich who just want to have a place to stay when they’re in NYC. For example, ONE57 (part of group of new towers going up near central park) is over a thousand feet tall with just 92 condo units and a penthouse that sold for $90 Million. 432 Park Avenue is another example of a tower that’s going to be nearly 1,400 feet, be the second tallest tower in the US and yet has only 125 condos and this one has a penthouse going for $95 Million.

I think these towers are really fascinating architecturally, and will certainly add to the skyline of NYC, but they have more to do with the fact that people with way too much money want a status symbol in an international city like New York and less to do with densely building affordable units.

On the other hand it makes the rents in places like the Hub and Aston Place seem very reasonable by comparison.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

The other thing I was thinking about is the North Bank Condo Tower is I believe 20 floors. Adding another sister condo tower would have a pretty measurable impact on the skyline of downtown. Adding another Rhodes Tower (hopefully architecturally more interesting) at 41 stories would be a significant event.

But a few weeks back I was having drinks at the top of the Hancock Tower and my friends were trying to point their office buildings, we’re talking 50+ story buildings and you could barely make them out, or they were mostly hidden by other, taller buildings.

It’s a little crazy how relative it all is, you could add or subtract a 50+ story building in Chicago and people would’t even notice, but here a 50+ building would be a huge deal.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…but the reason that these enormous towers have so few units is that they aren’t really meant to house your everyday New Yorkers. They’re mostly condos for the world’s ultra rich who just want to have a place to stay when they’re in NYC.

Exactly. They’re tall and symbolic and not much else. The people who live in them won’t live in them full time, and they’re likely not going to be the kind of residents who head out to buy a sandwich at the convenience store on the corner or hit up the neighborhood bar for a drink.

In terms of adding new residents who will contribute to the neighborhood and put people on the sidewalks, I’d take 10 more Hub-sized projects in the Short North (or Edwards sized projects at the NW corner of Gay & High) over a thin glass skyscraper any day of the week. ;)

Pablo
    Participant

There have been a lot of articles about billionaire condo towers and their affects on the city. The NYC towers will add a lot of shade to Central Park. I would rather have the 5 to 12 story development with street level retail that we’re experiencing here.

http://gizmodo.com/four-of-americas-tallest-buildings-are-being-built-on-1327172554

Other projects:
    Hudson Yards:
    http://www.theatlanticcities.com/neighborhoods/2014/03/how-new-york-building-entire-neighborhood-top-rail-yard/8670/

Miami tower to house 2% of the world’s billionaires:
    http://www.theatlanticcities.com/housing/2013/12/miamis-newest-condo-tower-will-be-home-nearly-2-percent-worlds-billionaires/7804/

The 2000′ tall Chicago Spire:
    http://www.theatlanticcities.com/neighborhoods/2014/02/chicago-spire-may-actually-get-built-after-all/8467/

heresthecasey
    Participant

Looks like they’re down to just one unit still left to sell in North Bank, http://www.northbankcondos.com/Portals/0/pdf/Pricing%20-Current_11.14.14.pdf

I wonder if we’ll see NRI announce a new for-sale project anytime soon…

JMan
    Participant

Though I’m certainly quite glad for all the recent apt. projects, a bit of forward looking architecture would do our city good. And a handful of 20-50 story buildings would round out the skyline. I know, I know … dream on…and keep dreaming

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO