Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

North Bank Condos — News & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion North Bank Condos — News & Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author

swan
    Participant

Walker wrote Has anyone seen the progress on The Ascent in Newport (Cincinnati) lately? I’m not too big of an architectural guru, but I think it looks pretty cool.

8)

yep, thats the new libeskind building. when on the highway (whatever one runs through cinci) it looks like an extenstion of the bridge across the river at some points… its really sweet.

oh but no worries, we have the time warner (E3) building. :oops:

gramarye
    Participant

mellotron wrote

Walker wrote Has anyone seen the progress on The Ascent in Newport (Cincinnati) lately? I’m not too big of an architectural guru, but I think it looks pretty cool.

8)

I’ve never looked at North Bank with any feelings of “what could have been”. That is, of course, until now. Dammit!

Same here. But I think the North Bank tower as it is still has a modern elegance to it even if it’s not quite that avant-garde. I’m in the same minority as Brewmaster; I would like to see a little more glass and steel and a little less stone and brick, at least going skyward.

I worry about what happens when stone and brick get old, particularly. Look at Franklinton, or the rows of ancient townhomes and multifamily places on the East Side, where the brick is definitely showing its years. However impressive it may look at the outset (and Burnham Square does look impressive), the “what might come” questions will always nag at the back of my mind.

Jonzun

CbusIslander wrote I propose something like this for the city center site.

http://www.signaturetowernashville.com/index.php

What, roses, champagne, cuff links and a woman dancing in a room with a view?

:D

Just Kidding!

CbusIslander
    Participant

Jonzun wrote

Just Kidding!

Isn’t that still better than what the city center is now? Take what you can get. :lol:

Jonzun

CbusIslander wrote

Jonzun wrote

Just Kidding!

Isn’t that still better than what the city center is now? Take what you can get. :lol:

LOL! You’re right!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think all the old brick rowhouses look great. In fact if I were to buy here I would definitely buy a multi unit rowhouse property. The problem I have with the brick is that we have too much of it. Brick all over the arena district, brick all over the brewery district, most buildings downtown are stone or brick, brick all over german village. Brick is just everywhere, it seems too safe, too conservative, bring on more steel and glass.

Jonzun

BUTerrier wrote I think all the old brick rowhouses look great. In fact if I were to buy here I would definitely buy a multi unit rowhouse property. The problem I have with the brick is that we have too much of it. Brick all over the arena district, brick all over the brewery district, most buildings downtown are stone or brick, brick all over german village. Brick is just everywhere, it seems too safe, too conservative, bring on more steel and glass.

Brick is, also, timeless. I’m all for a mix, but too much glass and steel can be very risky as well. Case in point, The Condos at North Bank Park is already dated, and it’s not even finished. If you are going to go the way of glass and steel; be imaginative and daring not safe.

Motorist
    Participant

I would like to see a revival of 50s style Formstone. A vinyl sided high rise could be pretty sweet too.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I want to see White Castle move their HQ downtown into a new highrise built with a castle theme and covered in white tile with some neon lighting. Very tacky and very unique.

:lol:

swan
    Participant

haha i would love that.

Mercurius
    Participant

Motorist wrote I would like to see a revival of 50s style Formstone. A vinyl sided high rise could be pretty sweet too.

Ah, formstone the polyester of brick, but I don’t think so, then we would just be stealing from Baltimore (even though all of their formstorn was manufactured in C-bus.) We need something more creative. I vote for a huge lustron condo complex (maybe with a roller coaster in the middle)- make the whole thing out of porcelain enamel steel coated panels

Brewmaster

I’d personally like to see someone buy up 2/3 of Franklinton and build an Ikea Village…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/12/02/nikea02.xml

Motorist
    Participant

Mercurius wrote I vote for a huge lustron condo complex (maybe with a roller coaster in the middle)- make the whole thing out of porcelain enamel steel coated panels

We should definitely be able to get White Castle to subsidize that. This is what they should have done with the Jeffrey Place acreage. But the giant WC headquarters that Walker proposed in the middle (tear down that loft building if need be) and surround it with lustron houses that get smaller and smaller as you move out to the edges. Put a big wall around the whole thing. Have Cyclist patrol the wall with his bicycle and chain mail. With the speed that White Castles go up, they could build the whole development in 6 months. That sure beats the 30 year plan that JP is currently on.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is that building on Goodale WC headquarters or just some warehouse? If that is headquarters that is by far the worst I have ever seen for a company that size.

Brewmaster wrote I’d personally like to see someone buy up 2/3 of Franklinton and build an Ikea Village…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/12/02/nikea02.xml

Great idea, that style would work in a lot of places. Are they able to stylize those more to fit in with older architecture? Like in OTE or Schumacher Place…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: