Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Norfolk, Virginia - Light Rail News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Norfolk, Virginia – Light Rail News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Ride The Tide of Light Rail, Virginia Beach

Bradley Heard | Greater Greater Washington

Feb 21st, 2012

Just six months after opening, Virginia’s first light rail transit system, located in Norfolk, is already exceeding ridership expectations. Now it’s time for the Commonwealth’s largest city, Virginia Beach, to hop aboard and extend the light rail all the way to the Atlantic oceanfront.

Dubbed “The Tide,” South Hampton Roads’ light rail system made its debut in Norfolk on August 19, 2011. The initial $338 million segment, operated by the regional transit agency, Hampton Roads Transit (HRT), is 7.4 miles, has 11 stops and is currently located only within Norfolk’s city limits.

The system connects Norfolk State University, the downtown central business district, Harbor Park (a minor league baseball stadium) and the region’s premier medical center complex, including Eastern Virginia Medical School, Sentara Norfolk General Hospital and the Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters.

Initial weekday ridership during the first year was projected to be only 2,900. However, the six-month data shows that those early projections have been blown away. About 4,642 people ride The Tide during an average weekday. An even higher number—4,850—use the system on Saturdays, with 2,099 usually riding on Sundays.

READ MORE: http://americancity.org/buzz/entry/3372/

EnglishAlex

We need this in Columbus!

wpcc88
    Participant

fwiw people in Austin(drivers especially) dislike their light rail system..

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Norfolk, Virginia:
    Population: 242,803
    Density: 4,363/sq mi
    Metro Area: 1,672,319

Columbus, Ohio:
    Population: 787,033
    Density: 3,556/sq mi
    Metro Area:1,836,536

We’re a much larger city, slightly less dense, and a slightly larger metro area.

Just sayin’.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

wpcc88 said:
    fwiw people in Austin(drivers especially) dislike their light rail system..

Do you speak for all people in Austin? Or did you take a survey?

PS: This discussion is about Norfolk. Austin can be found over here:

Austin Streetcar, Rail and BRT – News & Updates

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

yea, I want to know why people don’t like their light rail in Austin.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

so, the Norfolk light rail is averaging 30,159 riders a week. Whats the static’s on COTA riders a week?

bman
    Participant

Walker said:
    Do you speak for all people in Austin? Or did you take a survey?

PS: This discussion is about Norfolk. Austin can be found over here:

Austin Streetcar, Rail and BRT – News & Updates

You realize often you and a few others act like you speak for all central Ohio.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bman said:
    You realize often you and a few others act like you speak for all central Ohio.

Any opinions I express are my own. I don’t believe I’ve ever made any blanket statements about what all people in Columbus universally like, dislike, support, don’t support, etc. We’re a diverse city with diverse opinions. There’s nothing I can think of that’s unanimous here. Not even the love for OSU football. ;)

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    so, the Norfolk light rail is averaging 30,159 riders a week. Whats the static’s on COTA riders a week?

There were 1.6 million rides in on COTA September 2011. That averages out to about 53,350 rides per day or around 400,000 per week. Granted the ridership is much likely much higher M-F because of higher levels of service.

Edit: I believe that the article said there were around 4,500 riders per day on the Tide.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pickerington_Kyle said:

While Josh provided the stats, I don’t think the two are comparable at all. A single light rail line and a regional bus system with dozens and dozens of lines/routes is pretty much apples and oranges.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

53,350 is a lot of riders. I agree with you Walker, there’s hundreds of buses daily, unlike 1 major rail line, but if we could have 6-8 rail lines going in every major direction, I could see about 20,000 riders a day? maybe? I have no statics to prove, im just out on a limb.

News
    Participant

A Bipartisan Push for Rail in Virginia Produces Ridership Successes
    Yonah Freemark
    June 18th, 2012

Despite the significant opposition to investment in intercity rail from Republican governors in states from Ohio to Florida, Virginia’s GOP leadership has taken a considerably different course. In office since January 2010, Bob McDonnell has presided over a significant expansion in Amtrak routes — and more is expected by the end of this year. In the meantime, the state’s population has gobbled up the service offered, seeing very significant increases in ridership, offering considerable evidence that Americans are perfectly willing to take the train — if the right routes are provided.

READ MORE: http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2012/06/18/a-bipartisan-push-for-rail-in-virginia-produces-ridership-successes/

News
    Participant

HRT: Light rail through Hilltop would cost $1.3B
    By John Holland
    The Virginian-Pilot
    January 15, 2014

Bringing a light-rail route to the Hilltop area would draw more commuters and tourists than earlier options but would cost nearly $300 million more and disrupt twice as many homeowners and businesses, project leaders said Tuesday.

READ MORE: http://hamptonroads.com/2014/01/hrt-light-rail-through-hilltop-would-cost-13b

News
    Participant

Norfolk credits light rail with downtown development
    By Dave Forster
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © May 5, 2015

In the public debate over bringing light rail to Virginia Beach, a primary point of contention is how extending The Tide to Town Center or farther will or won’t shape and spur economic development.

READ MORE: http://hamptonroads.com/2015/05/norfolk-credits-light-rail-downtown-development

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: