Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Noisy neighbor chickens

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Noisy neighbor chickens

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Soccerkicks
    Participant

i reside in Columbus and our neighbors set up a chicken coop this spring. It’s been okay till the last couple months when the chickens have been continually so loud they wake members of our house and the house next door. Anyone know who to contact regarding this/ what the laws are about noise ordinances with owning chickens?
    Thanks,
    Sleep-deprived neighbor

dubdave00
    Participant

You have to wait until owning chickens becomes uncool… ;-)

Here are the laws:

Click to access columbus.pdf

My guess is that if it’s waking you up and your neighbors, it’s probably waking up the owners too.
    Probably wouldn’t hurt to probably talk with them about it first, before going to the city. Chickens make noise. The owners could probably reduce sound reflections from the coop with some acoustic foam and insulation but you can’t exactly soundproof a coop without hurting the birds.

Soccerkicks
    Participant

Thanks Dubdave00! Haha so true about the owning chicken trend, I love the idea, just not when the chicken coop is 10 feet from my bedroom window :/

Nancy H
    Participant

Sounds a bit like your neighbors added the chickens but maybe didn’t bother with the permits. Some chicken specific info here

http://www.cityfolksfarmshop.com/chickens/local-ordinances/

phaedrus
    Participant

If you don’t like the sound of chickens, then maybe you should move to the country!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: