Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

No stop signs at T-intersections?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation No stop signs at T-intersections?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Last night I was in a neighborhood in the Northland area. On my way home, I came to a T-intersection with no stop or yield signs of any kind. Think this was surely a mistake, I called the city number for reporting such things. I was told that T-intersections no longer have traffic control signs posted. This seems ludicrous to me, and I wonder what justification there is for such a policy. Anyone have some insight?

mrmann

The through road has the right-of-way:

At a “T” intersection with no traffic control device, any person driving a vehicle on a highway that intersects but does not cross the other highway, shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle traveling on the other highway.

The justification is that the road that you are on has ended…

GCrites80s
    Participant

Not enough people know that. Time for some bloody PSAs from the Ohio Highway Patrol.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    Not enough people know that. Time for some bloody PSAs from the Ohio Highway Patrol.

Right, so why not spend $20 for a stop sign?

mrmann

GCrites80s said:

There is really only one way to deliver that message and it requires a larger vehicle that is paid off. ;)

bucki12

RhondaH

I have family out in the sticks and I don’t think they ever had signs out there.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I don’t know what this cost-saving kick the city is on, but they’ve removed all the signal lights on Bryden Rd. I drive that road all that time, and it’s really scary going through some of those intersections.

billbix

ChrisSunami said:
    I don’t know what this cost-saving kick the city is on, but they’ve removed all the signal lights on Bryden Rd. I drive that road all that time, and it’s really scary going through some of those intersections.

It isn’t cost saving. They were required to do it per state regulations as traffic studies showed that the amount of traffic had fallen below a level designated for a signal device. They say overuse of signal devices can cause more pressing problems.

GW_Justice
    Participant

Removing road signs in order to intentionally cause drivers to pay more intention to the road is a new philosophy in road design.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.12/traffic.html

Sort of makes sense, if you have too many signs, people block them out. Going without the signs conveys the idea that you have to pay attention. If the studies show it works here and lowers accidents, over the long term, then it should be done. I’m just worried that the removal of the sign causes a short term level of confusion that lowers the accident rate, but after we become habituated to intersections without signs, the accident rate goes back up.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: