Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Easton Gateway

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Easton Gateway

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 260 total)
  • Author

Pablo
    Participant

Easton expansion planned for 2014

By Steve Wartenberg
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Saturday February 2, 2013 5:36 AM

The Easton complex will expand once again, as its developers have plans for a 54-acre addition along Morse Road and I-270 that will hold more shops and restaurants. 

Called Easton Gateway, the development is expected to include a Costco and a Whole Foods. It would increase the amount of retail space at Easton by about 10 percent.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2013/02/02/easton-expansion-planned-for-2014.html

surber17
    Participant

I really just don’t understand these developers. Why build something like this when you have a blank slate? Dumb.

columbusmike
    Participant

Yummy…..sprawl.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

surber17 said:
    I really just don’t understand these developers. Why build something like this…

$$$$$$$$$

Pablo
    Participant

Walker said:
    $$$$$$$$$

Yup

Analogue Kid
    Participant

surber17 said:
    I really just don’t understand these developers. Why build something like this when you have a blank slate? Dumb.

Because parking structures are not cheap. This design (although admittedly not great overall) is actually good as suburban developments go.

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

I was thinking about this, and usually I would agree–it is stupid sprawl…

But it’s also infill… I think I would prefer a box store with a parking lot (so long as it’s not WalMart) than an empty field, right? It may not be dense, it may not be urban, and it may not be green, but at least we’re putting it to use…

Right? Don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely against this in more urban areas and neighborhoods, but it’s not like it’s downtown…

But I would definitely have preferred an urban grocery store in a multi-use building, but I don’t think that area is ready for it…

And it is bringing in tax money to the city of Columbus.

I’m thinking and typing at the same time. Sorry…

leftovers

stephentszuter said:
    I think I would prefer a box store with a parking lot (so long as it’s not WalMart) than an empty field, right? It may not be dense, it may not be urban, and it may not be green, but at least we’re putting it to use…

I think there is a fine line and also the question of what becomes of that likely brownfield 20 years from now?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

stephentszuter said:
    …and it may not be green, but at least we’re putting it to use…

Well, that site is *currently* green, whether or not it gets used by people. ;)

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

leftovers said:
    I think there is a fine line and also the question of what becomes of that likely brownfield 20 years from now?

Well it’s either a brown field for 20 years then a good, urban development, or it’s a crappy tax-generator for 30 then a good, urban development, right?

To be honest, I don’t think it’s that horrible, and I am usually a pretty annoyed by sprawling developments.

I hear your argument though, and I’m not saying I disagree entirely. :)

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Walker said:
    Well, that site is *currently* green, whether or not it gets used by people. ;)

True.

And I always support parks, so we could have gone that route, too :)

wpcc88
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    Yummy…..sprawl.

I would actually classify this as infill as well; if they would have built this in an empty field outside of New Albany, that would be sprawl. However this is another phase of their overall vision for the area.

Pro Se
    Participant

I agree with Stephentszuter. This doesn’t bother me and looks incomplete as it stands. Besides, its only ten minutes away from Olde Towne East and I am quite pleased to have a Costco closer than Polaris!

InnerCore
    Participant

This absolutely is not infill. Infill is using an underutilized site or building. Were talking about vacant land on the outskirts of the city.

In planning we also often talk about suburban infill where you go into existing suburban areas and find ways to density. For example if they were to take one of the large parking lots around Nordstrom and replace part of it with structured parking and residential above. You wouldn’t need any new roads and you would tie into the existing utilities.

This is sprawl, period.

jbcmh81
    Participant

surber17 said:

As Walker mentioned, it’s basically about money. However, I always enjoy the irony of having the heart of Easton being the exact opposite type of development, it being wildly successful, and yet no one thinks it’s a good idea to bother repeating it.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 260 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: