Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Easton Gateway

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Easton Gateway

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 260 total)
  • Author
    Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

It looks like some new renderings are up for the under construction Easton gateway. There is also a map showing future development with what looks to be hundreds of new apartments planned.

http://www.steiner.com/portals/0/pdf/leasing/Easton-Gateway.pdf

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I like going to the current Easton to shop, because you can make it around to window shop a bunch of places very easily.

From what the rendering looks like to me, the Gateway is more of a strip mall type set up correct? Not the same sort of small town feel as the current easton? And it looks to have no real designed walk-ability between the two districts? Or is it to far to walk? It seems very forced to make these two shopping areas connected to me.

am I looking at this wrong?

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

It looks like they are planning a mini “Main Street” stuck in the middle of a mega strip center. Very odd. Walkability will be limited. I do like the plan for the apts though and yes, there are a ton of them planned. What’s best is that they are positioned in between the town center and the gateway so some may be able to walk if it’s pleasant enough.

HogRoaster
    Participant

Next time I decide to go camping, I’ll head that way. And if Walmart doesn’t have the $35 tent that I usually buy and then throw away, I can always go to REI, Dicks, or Field & Stream and get one for about 5x more that will last an extra year or two.

Cbusbill
    Participant

3 thoughts after seeing the updated diagrams:
    1) Easton Gateway looks nearly identical in layout to the retail center directly west of the Town Center complex (where Dick’s is currently), minus a central ‘mini-hub’. Wonder if they’ll consider adding such a feature to that center in the future?
    2) Glad to see the open spaces surrounding the core retail districts finally getting defined uses…the addition of large-scale housing to fill in the gaps will help give the whole Easton area a more walkable, urban feel.
    3) Looking at how little undeveloped land will be left after this phase gets built out, its no wonder why Easton was so intent on taking ownership of the Shriner’s temple land. They obviously know what they’re doing.

jbcmh81
    Participant

All the surface parking sucks, but I imagine it can be replaced at some point with garages as long the complex continues to grow and add more. A few lots at the main complex went away in similar fashion.

McFly
    Participant

I think the “walkability” will turn out a little better than it currently looks. Once they fill in the space between Worth and Alston, it will give more continuity to the whole area. (Even more so once the apartments are done.) Plus, I would assume that they are going to add a few more of the trolley busses?

What is really needed, though, is a pedestrian bridge that goes over Stelzer and links the two areas. That would be a huge improvement in convinience and safety.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

If they were aiming for walkability, then there would be no purpose for a pedestrian bridge. The need for such a thing would be an epic failure in my book.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

If you look at the rendering it shows the route of the free trolley. It’s going to circle the mains 2 sections of Easton and then take riders to the central shopping row at the new Easton gateway which could create more pedestrian traffic from people visiting and not even knowing the new development is there.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

From recent rumors about Ikea eyeing Easton something tells me it would probably go in the area where the Shrine Center is. Hopefully is will be a more urban design with a parking garage and not a huge parking lot.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

From recent rumors about Ikea eyeing Easton something tells me it would probably go in the area where the Shrine Center is. Hopefully is will be a more urban design with a parking garage and not a huge parking lot.

Yes, I think this is the hope of the developers. IKEA is very slow as far as expanding, so expect to see stores in places like Nashville and Las Vegas before a Columbus store opens up.

Regarding the garage, there is enough space on the Shriners property that they will almost certainly use the more spread out concept here. Garage IKEAs are rare and obviously much more costly to build.

McFly
    Participant

If they were aiming for walkability, then there would be no purpose for a pedestrian bridge. The need for such a thing would be an epic failure in my book.

How so?

If we’re talking about “walkability”, then I would guess that a pedestrian bridge (aesthetically pleasing, of course) would actually help folks when trying to cross Stelzer. People could actually ‘walk’, non-stop, over the street instead of stopping and waiting to cross.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JPowell wrote:</div>

How so?

If we’re talking about “walkability”, then I would guess that a pedestrian bridge (aesthetically pleasing, of course) would actually help folks when trying to cross Stelzer. People could actually ‘walk’, non-stop, over the street instead of stopping and waiting to cross.

I think building a pedestrian bridge doesn’t address the traffic issue, which is one of the goals of walkability. If the traffic through the area is *that* bad that pedestrians need a bridge, the area is really not all that walkable to begin with. Traffic calming measures would be more in line with that goal.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Las Vegas would be nice! I moved to LV a month ago…only here for a year but I already hate it!

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

@McFly: What jbcmh81 said.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 260 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: