Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Easton Gateway

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Easton Gateway

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 260 total)
  • Author

RoundTowner

I saw the plans for Easton Gateway the other evening, IKEA is not on the list..yet. There are still 3 more large parcels that would accommodate the store, hopefully, in a future phase. Surprisingly, JCPenny and Costco have both committed to the next phase to be located at Morse/Stelzer.

http://www.steiner.com/projectsunderdevelopment/eastongateway.aspx

Twixlen
    Participant

Oooo – Costco!! That might actually get me to have a membership.

I am surprised about JCPenney though – I didn’t think they were doing well.

Jman4ever
    Participant

RoundTowner said:
    I saw the plans for Easton Gateway the other evening, IKEA is not on the list..yet. There are still 3 more large parcels that would accommodate the store, hopefully, in a future phase. Surprisingly, JCPenny and Costco have both committed to the next phase to be located at Morse/Stelzer.

Surprised Costco would build so close to another store.

groundrules
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    Oooo – Costco!! That might actually get me to have a membership.

That, and CEO speech at the convention last night…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Jman4ever said:
    Surprised Costco would build so close to another store.

I’d be surprised if IKEA built so close to another store.

surber17
    Participant

anyone have any renderings for this? is it just going to be big box strip mall style?

buckeyecpa
    Participant

Ikea generally builds on or close to industrial parkways with highway access. They obtain favorable tax breaks by doing this.

Before the West Chester location was built I had always thought a great area would have been in the area that’s now the grandview yard. I still think that area of the city would benefit the most and offer the most if Ikea were to build here.

Patch
    Participant

surber17 said:
    anyone have any renderings for this? is it just going to be big box strip mall style?

Here is the link to the developer’s website, you can click on their brochure to see the renderings.

I believe it has shown the Costco and JC Penny since May.

http://www.steiner.com/projectsunderdevelopment/eastongateway.aspx

mrpoppinzs

buckeyecpa said:

Before the West Chester location was built I had always thought a great area would have been in the area that’s now the grandview yard. I still think that area of the city would benefit the most and offer the most if Ikea were to build here.

+1

surber17
    Participant

Twixlen
    Participant

Ikea chose not to build here, determining it was too close to both their Canton & Pittsburg stores. I think they were looking at the land that Costco was eventually built on up at Polaris. I have a hard time believing they’d build here now… tho that Westland Mall parcel has plenty of space & highway access…

al2o3cr

From the rendering, it looks like describing it as a 50-acre parking lot with a half-million square feet of concession stands sprinkled on top would be more accurate…

surber17
    Participant

its essentially a strip mall. Here is why this disappoints me, IN the presentation itself, it talks about how great the design of Easton is and how other malls across the world want to mirror it …. and then they might as well say “So we’re going to scrap this excellent model and go back to building stuff that fails after a few years.”

rus
    rus
    Participant

groundrules said:
    That, and CEO speech at the convention last night…

/derail

Heard some of that on npr while I was doing other things. Sounded like the crowd was bored, with only occasional applause. Were you watching, rather than listening like I was? How’d it go over?

ricospaz
    Participant

Can’t wait for mediocre furniture to come to C-bus!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 260 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE