Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Next "up and coming area" in C-Bus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Next “up and coming area” in C-Bus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 168 total)
  • Author

I’m bored and thought I would pose this question. Which area do you think will be the next “up and coming” area in Columbus?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

*G* you didn’t just come out and say Hilltop?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I think it depends. First you have to define what up and coming is. Is it next year? 5 years? 10, 15, 20?

I think my money would be on OTE/KLD area, followed closely by Franklinton and then downtown. Franklinton might even jump that in the next few years. Some great potential in a new creative space that could really help bring some new life to the area and open up some possibilities for business.

Well, both Franklinton and Highland West[/url] have a good amount of intact (the latter more than the former) commercial buildings in their business districts that are vastly underutilized. If you’re an entrepreneur but the Short North and Downtown are too pricey just choose to take over one block with some other interested parties and voila: this city will have stuff on High and Broad worth seeking out.

Tigertree

I am hearing some really positive things about Highland West. I would obviously prefer Westgate but Columbusite is right. It’s going to take a Sandy Wood to buy a couple blocks in Highland West to do some smart renovations, give away space to artist for free for a couple of years to ensure there are both less vacancies and more people to care and you’ll see some pretty dramatic change. From what we saw the houses on top of the hill are nicer than the houses on the bottom of it so that’s a huge pro for Highland West vs. Franklinton, but we have amazing people like Sherman working really hard in Franklinton and I don’t know that we have anything on top of the hill to match that.
    I still think the size of the houses in OTE will prevent anything major from happening there for a long time. You end up paying $5,000 a year in property taxes and have to add another $100,000 to renovate. King Lincoln is really promising though.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Similar conversation here:

Best Neighborhood for Real Estate Appreciation

I still stand by the four main areas I mentioned 5 months ago in that thread:

My short list of places to invest for the 10-20 year range includes:

1) KLD (of course… I live here)
    2) East Franklinton (east of 315)
    3) Weinland Park
    4) The Parsons Corridor

Tigertree

What is your reasoning for not having a hilltop neighborhood on that list?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I’m teasing the OP about Hilltop as we have done some work there together, like the rain garden in her avatar.

Things are happening around there, though. I don’t know if it really beats other areas, but various groups of people are working to improve it. You can roll through on the main drags and think it’s depressed, but you should poke along some of the neighborhood streets and see how well-tended many homes and yards are.

somertimeoh
    Participant

East Fton FTW!

Unless I buy my plantation house west of 315 at which point I will drop the “east” :)

Schoolboy
    Participant

I don’t see a lot of growth… rebirth… “upcoming”ness happening for any area in the next 5 yrs.

One word for you… economy.

somertimeoh
    Participant

I disagree. Smarter growth happens now. A different target market emerges. Young people who have been fortunate enough to keep their jobs are coming out way ahead from this crisis. Management positions have opened up and we’re the ones getting promoted where as before there was a line of people in their 40’s and 50’s ahead of us (sad, but true), our investment portfolios are now turning the corner and growing much more than they would have had we not had the “crash”. So, really, I think there’s a better chance that an emerging neighborhood could make a quicker turn now than it would have before this time last year. Developers are having to think creatively (literally!!) and attract a different kind of interested buyer who is less interested in granite counter tops and more in to space, community, access to other creatives, etc. It’s super exciting!!

Schoolboy wrote >>
    I don’t see a lot of growth… rebirth… “upcoming”ness happening for any area in the next 5 yrs.

Yeah, I’m not sure you get the meaning of “upcoming” combined with a down economy.

That’s EXACTLY when those things are decided.

Tigertree

Absolutely. More homes were sold in September than any month since 1999 and that includes the housing bubble. It’s a combination of the tax credit expiring and home prices finally leveling out. Money goes a lot further right now than it will in the next 5 years.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Tigertree wrote >>

Well, the original topic was more about areas for real estate investment, and it’s my personal opinion that those four areas I listed are the areas where you can buy right now for the cheapest prices and also the areas that I think are going to see the most improvement and appreciation in the next 5-10-15 years.

The main reason that the Hilltop wasn’t on my short list is because I’d probably break it down into the sub-neighborhoods before I would list it as a whole. Certain areas within the Hilltop (like Westgate) are already pretty well maintained and priced accordingly. I don’t know if there will be quite as much appreciation there, because you’re not starting from closer to rock bottom like you can still find in other neighborhoods. There are other areas within the Hilltop that more closely fit that description, and I probably would include those on my slightly longer list of places to invest.

I think there are a lot of people interested in seeing those areas grow, but it seems like the wheels are just now starting to get set into motion, whereas planning and development was really initiated in my other “Top 4” areas several years ago.

But again… this is all just my personal opinion. I’d like to think that I’m pretty well studied on the progress in all of the central city areas, but it’s hard to truly and accurately envision where everything will be even just a short 5-10 years down the road. For anyone who lived in Columbus in 1999, a LOT has managed to change in a lot of areas just since then.

Schoolboy wrote >>

I agree with Somer on this. When prices are low, that’s always the best time to invest. Not everyone has money to throw around these days, but the folks who do are making their investments right now while things are cheap.

Tigertree wrote >>

I am also curious as to why you didn’t mention any Hilltop neighborhoods.

I just saw your answer.

One thing of interest in your post. You mentioned that the other areas had already seen investments. That is true and sad. Those in charge don’t really seem too interested in investing much in the west side of the City. North and East seem to get the most attention. Only very short west and south get much attention at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 168 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: