Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Walmart Planned on Sawmill Road

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Walmart Planned on Sawmill Road

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • Author

buckeye54
    Participant

Matt Boyd said:
    Walmart has got to be banking on the idea that the people who live in Dublin/Columbus/Powell in that area north of I-270 will choose to go to Walmart rather than travel further south into the weekend traffic nightmare that is Sawmill (south of I-270) in order to go to Target or Meijer.

I know I’m pretty late responding to this but I just wanted to point out that in Walmart’s case, proximity to competition is often as important if not more important then profitability. In this case, I see it as much as a statement to kroger to keep out of the general merchandise business that they are trying gain market share with their marketplace stores. Walmart building directly across from a marketplace is the same strategy as they have implemented with meijer and supertargets before. Walmart corporate has no issue losing money for an extended period of time with a store if it hurts its competition. I know for a fact a lot of the walmarts that are in small towns across ohio are not profitable at all for quite awhile(years) but are designed to run out any competition in the area and then gain a monopoly on all grocery and gm purchases in that area. To have complete marketshare in a town of 10,000 is really the only way those stores can turn a profit.

News
    Participant

Walmart buys Olde Sawmill Square Shopping Center
    Dan Eaton
    Staff reporter-Business First
    Jul 11, 2013, 2:49pm EDT

Delaware County residents who fought for years to keep Walmart out of their backyard instead may find the retailer in their front yard. According to Franklin County property records, a subsidiary of Bentonville-based Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT) purchased the Olde Sawmill Square Shopping Center last month for $4 million from Columbus-based developer Casto.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2013/07/walmart-buys-olde-sawmill-square.html

Lu
    Participant

News said:
    Walmart buys Olde Sawmill Square Shopping Center
    Dan Eaton
    Staff reporter-Business First
    Jul 11, 2013, 2:49pm EDT

Delaware County residents who fought for years to keep Walmart out of their backyard instead may find the retailer in their front yard. According to Franklin County property records, a subsidiary of Bentonville-based Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT) purchased the Olde Sawmill Square Shopping Center last month for $4 million from Columbus-based developer Casto.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2013/07/walmart-buys-olde-sawmill-square.html

This article says that Target will start construction later this year on a new store on Sawmill just north of the Delaware County line. That’s less than 2 miles from the planned Sawmill Walmart, 3 miles from the Sawmill Meijer, 4 miles from the existing Sawmill Target, 5 miles from the existing Sawmill Walmart, and 5 miles from the Powell Rd. Walmart and Meijer!

GCrites80s
    Participant

You see what happens, Larry?

You build Wal-Marty areas and get Wal-Marts!

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Wow! It’s already carmageddon up there. Those poor folks.(Shakes head)

News
    Participant

Restaurant Review: Amul India
    Published on August 8, 2013 10:00 am
    By: Miriam Bowers Abbott

Amul India was an extremely popular Indian (obviously) eatery up on the northern end of Sawmill Road, just outside the curve of 270. But no matter how popular a restaurant is, when it’s in strip mall, and that space is wanted for something huge (like a Walmart, for example), the restaurant closes.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/restaurant-review-amul-india-ma1

News
    Participant

Walmart confirms Sawmill store, sets opening for next summer
    Dan Eaton
    Staff reporter – Business First

That rumored Walmart site on Sawmill Road that a Walmart affiliate bought in June is going to be a Walmart, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has finally confirmed.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2013/08/walmart-confirms-sawmill-store-sets.html

jOHnH
    Participant

There is a Walmart on the corner of Sawmill and Bethel, less than 5miles down the road. Is the Walmart on Bethel closing? I don’t understand this…

News
    Participant

Press Release:
    CASTO’s Sawmill Square Reaches Completion for Redevelopment

Columbus, OH – CASTO, one of the Country’s leading developers and real estate services firm, announced today the completion of the redevelopment of Sawmill Square shopping center, located at the northeast corner of Sawmill Road and Summer Drive, in the Dublin/NW Columbus area of Central Ohio. The Sawmill Square redevelopment included Wal-Mart’s recent opening of a new Supercenter.

“The Sawmill retail corridor has always been one of the most active retail locations in the Columbus market. We worked for several years on the redevelopment of the center. Wal-Mart’s new store has spurred renewed interest in center. In addition to the new anchor, Sawmill Square has undergone enhancement of its façade, installation of new signage and total replacement of common areas, including parking areas, landscaping and site lighting,” stated Sarah Hatcher, spokesperson for CASTO. “Also, Huntington Bank plans on a complete rebuild of its branch location by this fall,” Hatcher added.

The center was originally developed in 1982 and has added a McAlister’s Deli, its first location to Central Ohio. McAlister’s, which also opened mid- June, will join other new tenants, Sally Beauty and GameStop, to the existing line-up of retailers in the center: Z Salon, The UPS Store, Thai Orchid, Huntington Bank, Skyline Chili, Burger King, Goodyear and PNC.

pez
    Participant

I would think as part of a ‘total’ replacement of landscaping, they would have cleared the site of dead trees and weeds and planted grass seed along the north side of Walmart. Really looks awful and I would hate to think that anyone considers it complete.

Achekov
    Participant

Walmart: Like a Dollar Store, only bigger.

pez
    Participant

Walmart: Like a Dollar Store, only bigger.

I’ll take a Walmart over a dollar store in my neighborhood any day.

RedStorm
    Participant

This isn’t even close to being done, right? Neither is the Target just a mile or two up the road.

And it is currently freaking impossible to get onto Sawmill heading north off of 270 W. It’s insane.

These two projects will only make that worse. I could see another “trench” project in the works in the next decade. That interchange is horrendous unless it’s past 11PM.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

And it is currently freaking impossible to get onto Sawmill heading north off of 270 W. It’s insane.

I’ve never had any problems and I drive that a few times a month because my parents live up that way.

what’s your issue, I’m curious?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This isn’t even close to being done, right? Neither is the Target just a mile or two up the road.

These two projects will only make that worse. I could see another “trench” project in the works in the next decade. That interchange is horrendous unless it’s past 11PM.

I remember when all of those roads were more narrow. Widening was supposed to fix the traffic issues.

So yeah… let’s just widen them again I guess. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: