Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Walmart Planned on Sawmill Road

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Walmart Planned on Sawmill Road

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • Author

Matt Boyd
    Participant

NOOOOOO, traffic in this area sucks already…especially on the weekends.

Although, I guess some business being conducted in that plaza is better that what is going on there now.

mrpoppinzs

geoyui said:
    I think if one were to ever open on the OSU campus area, the mini target or petite walmart stores would be ideal.

Mini Target, Petite Walmart

I think the one they are probably building at the former Timken land will be the “OSU/SN/Clintonville” one.

(Based on location next to 71/Cleveland Ave it is also probably the downtown, KLD and OTE one…)

My guess is it will be a normal big box. I hope I am wrong.

tolemac5050
    Participant

jeff_r said:
    Thai Orchid is currently maintaining two locations. The Powell location and the original Olde Sawmill Plaza location. I’ll be disappointed if the Olde Sawmill one goes away as it’s pretty close to where I work.

Come to think of it, this could have implications for Amul India[/url] too. They’re in the same strip mall. :(

Westshore Pizza, DQ, both franchised ownership, (I believe)…what would be the status of these business?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

geoyui said:
    I think if one were to ever open on the OSU campus area, the mini target or petite walmart stores would be ideal.

Mini Target, Petite Walmart

I keep reading about these smaller format stores over and over and over and over but we’ve yet to see anything like it proposed for Columbus, Test Market Capital USA.

bucki12

Walker said:
    I keep reading about these smaller format stores over and over and over and over but we’ve yet to see anything like it proposed for Columbus, Test Market Capital USA.

Too much available land in Columbus. The Timken site and former Kroger plaza are good examples.

dubdave00
    Participant

I think I heard that Chicago’s Walmart “urban express” closed recently… :-(
    Hopefully they’re not rethinking the concept.

pez
    Participant

tolemac5050 said:
    Westshore Pizza, DQ, both franchised ownership, (I believe)…what would be the status of these business?

Westshore (now West Side) is closing (9/16) as is King’s Garden (9/30). DQ is moving on the 15th, not sure whether they are going, but probably down by Skyline. No status on Amul India yet, Skyline Chili is staying, so I guess it matters how much of the south building is removed. Thia Orchid is south of Skyline, so they should be safe from being torn down.

Alcoheroe

What will happen to the Columbus table tennis club?
    While I’m disappointed in another Walmart with 3 already relatively close, at Lear something is taking place of a giant vacant concrete and asphalt space. Ive only lived here a few years, but it’s been empty longer than I’ve been here, and at least were not losing farmland.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Alcoheroe said:
    What will happen to the Columbus table tennis club?

relocation of the Columbus Table Tennis Club

johnwirtz
    Participant

dubdave00 said:
    I think I heard that Chicago’s Walmart “urban express” closed recently… :-(
    Hopefully they’re not rethinking the concept.

Did you read why? Apparently it was having trouble competing…with another Wal-Mart next door.

http://supermarketnews.com/retail-amp-financial/wal-mart-closing-chicago-express-store

There is a Wal-mart grocery two blocks from my office downtown. It’s surprisingly nice. I’ve started doing some shopping there and taking stuff home on the train commute.

cbus11

I have a friend who lives nearby. The Walmart Supercenter was added after the writing was on the wall. There is also a Target nearby. The problem is that this model needs to decide what it is competing for. It is roughly similar to a Walgreens but sells real groceries. Since this is just one instance, it really does not mean much on whether Walmart will continue the smaller store format. The ‘express’ is only one of 3 of their urban formats.

Lu
    Participant

There’s an article in today’s Dispatch about the Olde Sawmill redevelopment:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/09/25/so-long-sawmill.html

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

What will happen to Candyland is what I want to know!

joking aside, the place needs to be torn down and redone another way. It’s dead. I’d rather have a big box store than an empty strip mall.

News
    Participant

Businesses Being Forced To Move From Sawmill Road Shopping Plaza
    Tuesday September 25, 2012 5:11 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The development company that owns Olde Sawmill Square shopping center will not say what will replace the center, but business owners are being told they must leave. For more than 30 years, the Dairy Queen has been a staple in the plaza. “One time, a bunch of kids came in here and we ended up singing “Grease” songs, so we all were in here singing with ice cream,” said employee Jordan Corbin.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/09/25/columbus-olde-sawmill-strip-mall-businesses.html

jbcmh81
    Participant

It’s going to be a WalMart. Is there really any mystery involved?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: