Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Urban Infill Projects in Italian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Urban Infill Projects in Italian Village

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 103 total)
  • Author

Pablo
    Participant

I say keep the alley and make it pedestrian only. The more public pedestrian access the better.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I say keep the alley and make it pedestrian only. The more public pedestrian access the better.

My first thought… where would it go? Would it be used?

But then I remembered that Italian Village park is right on the other side.

Might actually make a nice greenscape connector from High to the park.

mbeaumont
    Participant

If it was properly designed for a pedestrian access point to the park it could be really cool. You could do some neat stuff down there with buskers, art displays, cool lighting with lanterns or something, etc. I like the potential of that idea a lot.

News
    Participant

UPDATES: https://www.columbusunderground.com/development-roundup-eight-updates-from-italian-village-downtown-and-beyond-bw1

Developer Kevin Lykens has bought two parcels at the southwest corner of East Fourth and Mt Pleasant avenues – also known as the Short North Post Office.

A potentially significant mixed-use project is on this month’s commission agenda – a proposal to demolish two warehouses at 995 North Fourth Street and replace them with a three-story building featuring 51 apartment units and ground-floor retail.

The Garden at 1172 North High Street (that’s “Columbus’ Finest Adult Emporium,” not to be confused with the theater across the street), will be getting a small second floor addition.

Rounding out the Italian Village news, Urban Order Architecture is the applicant for a proposal to build a three-story restaurant and office building where there is currently a city street.

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

Big dumpster set up at the school on 3rd and Say Ave, possible demo work being started!

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Wow! That reno was YEARS in coming too. Glad to see some progress starting, the developer was risking being edged out of the market as quickly as some of these other places are going up.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Dru and I attended the end of last night’s Commission meeting. We heard the discussion on the bar/restaurant concept on 4th ave across from Seventh Son (4th AVE not 4th ST.). Other than saying he wanted everything to be local, the applicant didn’t have any details on the concept. The discussion with the commission mostly regarded parking variances as there isn’t any attached parking to the current property. That was about it for that one for now.

When the applicants for the demolition and redevelopment of the warehouse on 3rd Ave and 4th Street were heard, the commission unanimously told them that demolition of the historic trolly barn on the property was a total non-starter and they wouldn’t approve it. Some also expressed some concern about three stories along 3rd ave, but they would wait to see elevations/renderings before weighing in further. The commission seemed very enthusiastic about the potential development of the site, just not the demolition of the trolley barn. I think the neighborhood as a whole would agree with that assessment.

bayrea
    Participant

Just out of curiosity, what is the legal ramification if I owned that trolley barn and one day showed up with a bulldozer and knocked down the property that I owned? I mean, I own the place I should be able to knock it down, right?

mbeaumont
    Participant

Maybe Josh or Ben or someone on the commission could weigh in on that. I’m not sure.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

Well for one thing you need a permit for demolition. If you just start knocking over a building without a permit there would be some kind of consequences. I don’t know if it would just be a fine or what.

dru
    Participant

Just out of curiosity, what is the legal ramification if I owned that trolley barn and one day showed up with a bulldozer and knocked down the property that I owned? I mean, I own the place I should be able to knock it down, right?

Ownership of the property is still tied to city zoning ordinances and regulation. Ownership does provide you with the decision making process to call the shots within the established parameters, but it is not carte blanche.

Moreover, if your goal of tearing something down is building something new, you would also need approval, permits and potential variances for the new construction. You would probably find those processes constricted.

goldenidea
    Participant

The city will not issue a demolition permit w/o a certificate of appropriateness. The CoAs come from the historic commission. If you were to act without a CoA and demo permit, you’d probably face some hefty fines and you’d have a hard time getting building permits to build on the site you just cleared.

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

Edited – I confused Capitol Equities with Capitol Square Limited, which is the Dispatch.
    Capitol Equities has deep pockets also and knows what they are doing. I still don’t like its chances of survival.

edg126
    edg126
    Participant

What is Capitol Equities connection to The Dispatch?

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

Edited – I confused Capitol Equities with Capitol Square Limited, which is the Dispatch.
    Capitol Equities has deep pockets also and knows what they are doing. I still don’t like its chances of survival.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 103 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: