Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Urban Infill Projects in Italian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Urban Infill Projects in Italian Village

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 103 total)
  • Author

tiffanyburns
    Participant

Hello,

I own a home built in 2005, great shape. 3 bed 4 bath. I’m not sure if I should be concerned about all the units going up around me? Seems like at some point, there will be too much and eventually bring prices down to sell? Do you recommend I sell now or in 10 years? I bought my house to be a rental property but have lived in it for 2 years now on Hamlet st. Houses are going up all around me, so I’m sure it’s raised my value. I am concerned though, that at some point, Columbus is building way too many rentals.

wpcc88
    Participant

Hello,

I own a home built in 2005, great shape. 3 bed 4 bath. I’m not sure if I should be concerned about all the units going up around me? Seems like at some point, there will be too much and eventually bring prices down to sell? Do you recommend I sell now or in 10 years? I bought my house to be a rental property but have lived in it for 2 years now on Hamlet st. Houses are going up all around me, so I’m sure it’s raised my value. I am concerned though, that at some point, Columbus is building way too many rentals.

Columbus is actually behind on rental properties so I wouldn’t worry about it. Honestly you might be better off keeping it as a rental and move on to a new place yourself.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m not sure if I should be concerned about all the units going up around me? Seems like at some point, there will be too much and eventually bring prices down to sell?

I think there’s a misconception that rentals = lower property values, but I don’t think that’s actually true. Cheap low-quality rentals may lower property values, but higher-quality rental units certainly won’t. Most of what’s being built in the Italian Village area seems to be of higher quality, so I don’t think there’s much to worry about from a homeowners perspective. Many developers have told us specifically that they plan to convert for-rent apartments into for-sale condos if/when the market for them returns in the future.

If anything, your property values are likely to only go up in Italian village in the next decade or two.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

I also live on Hamlet, I think I received an updated property appraisal back in June when those new houses went up on 3rd. You might want to keep an eye on the auditor’s site.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

The first “soldier home” on Second and Summit is almost completed, and I’ve got to say, I like the design less in person that I did in the renderings. The porch in the middle, and different sized windows on the front seems really incongruous to the rest of the neighborhood. Also, that back window near the garage pretty much looks directly into the neighbor’s window. I had to come back here to look at the original design to verify that they are single family and not condos.
    GOtta say, this is my least favorite new development.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Lots of interesting things up for review this month! Some highlights below,

#6 – Proposal for a restaurant/office building on what’s currently an alley in between Union and La Fogata,

786 North High Street (Hull Alley – between 790 & 782-84 N. High St.)
    Urban Order Architecture (Applicant), City of Columbus (Owner)
    New Construction
    – Construct a new, three-story, building within the current right-of-way of Hull Alley.
    – New building to measure 22’W x 120’L, with patio space fronting onto High Street.
    – Use to include restaurant space on the first floor and office space on the upper floors.

#19 – Proposal for 24 single-family homes in the Jeffrey Park site. (I believe this is for one of the properties not controlled by Wagenbrenner,)

21 Jeffrey Park/Phase I (bounded by Auden & Neruda Aves and Sixth St.)
    Juliet Bullock Architects (Applicant), 21 Jeffrey Park, LLC. (Owner)
    New Construction
    – Second conceptual review for construction of twenty-four (24) new single-family homes, per the submitted site plan and renderings.
    – Layout of new development is limited by the utilities that have already been installed on site in association with an earlier development that was not completed.

#20 – Proposal for a new restaurant in the vacant warehouse building across 4th Ave from Seventh Son,

200 East Fourth Avenue
    Andrew Losinske (Applicant), Trembly Realty (Owner)
    Renovate Warehouse Building for Restaurant Use
    – First conceptual review for exterior alterations of the existing warehouse building for use as a restaurant/bar.
    – Install new exterior doors and windows.
    – Paint exterior and add mural.
    – Install new patio/garden at rear of building.

#21 – New proposal for a mixed-use project on the block bounded by 4th St, 3rd Ave, Hamlet, and Punta,

995 North Fourth Street
    Brad Parish/Architectural Alliance (Applicant), Capitol Equities (Owner)
    Demolition
    – Demolish the existing ca. 1900 brick warehouse building.
    – Demolish the existing ca. 1954 concrete block building.
    New Construction
    – Construct a new, three-story, mixed-use building, per the submitted site plan.
    – New building to include first floor, commercial tenant space facing onto Fourth Street and 51 residential units.
    – New development to include 66 parking spaces.

TL;DR – More exciting stuff happening in IV!

The full agenda is here,
    http://columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Columbus/Departments/Development/Planning_Division/Boards_and_Commissions/Historic_Preservation/Italian_Village_Commission/Meetings/2015/2015%20IVC%20FEB%20agd.pdf

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

#20 – Proposal for a new restaurant in the vacant warehouse building across 4th Ave from Seventh Son,

200 East Fourth Avenue
    Andrew Losinske (Applicant), Trembly Realty (Owner)
    Renovate Warehouse Building for Restaurant Use
    – First conceptual review for exterior alterations of the existing warehouse building for use as a restaurant/bar.
    – Install new exterior doors and windows.
    – Paint exterior and add mural.
    – Install new patio/garden at rear of building.

SQWEEEEE!

Walker?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walker?

Brent started looking into all of these yesterday. ;)

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

Lots of interesting things up for review this month! Some highlights below,

#6 – Proposal for a restaurant/office building on what’s currently an alley in between Union and La Fogata,

786 North High Street (Hull Alley – between 790 & 782-84 N. High St.)<br>
    Urban Order Architecture (Applicant), City of Columbus (Owner)<br>
    New Construction<br>
    – Construct a new, three-story, building within the current right-of-way of Hull Alley.<br>
    – New building to measure 22’W x 120′L, with patio space fronting onto High Street.<br>
    – Use to include restaurant space on the first floor and office space on the upper floors.

I like all the development going on, but I’m not sure removing alleys is a good idea.

heresthecasey
    Participant

I like all the development going on, but I’m not sure removing alleys is a good idea.

Agreed, although I’m still curious to see what they’re proposing.

Mike88
    Participant

I’m excited to see if there are any concepts for the 24 new single family homes being proposed. One thing that seems to be missing from all the recent housing is good outdoor space. It would be nice if those units had a small yard out back.

Nice to see more commercial being proposed on 4th street, in a few years I can see that being the ‘other’ commercial center in the short north.

goldenidea
    Participant

It IS strange to think they will be removing roadway and High St. access to construct a smallish building. OTOH, whenever one pulls their car out of Hull Alley onto High St, one has to be very careful to approach the outlet slowly and carefully because there can easily be pedestrians about to step into ally on the sidewalk who can’t see you approaching. That’s a bit dangerous. Maybe that’s partly why the city is choosing to eliminate it, to make it safer for pedestrians. Of course they’re also raising cash and creating tax opportunities too!

ohbr
    Participant

My question is why they need the space there so desperately to add a restaurant. Pint house, union, la fagota, haiku, Hubbard accross the street, melt a half block away, I think that stretch of 200′ has enough unless the “restaurant space” is an expansion for Union, I just don’t see the need or demand for something new or similar when there is so much right there already. The other thing I could see is a fast food concept a la chipotle to mix it up, but still. I really don’t care about the alley part. It could stay or go for all it matters. I’m really curious to see where this goes.

mbeaumont
    Participant

New developable space in the short north is at hyper-premium now. Pretty much everything is spoken for. So I think we’ll be seeing a lot more proposals like the Hull Alley one in the future as landowners try and figure out ways to maximize every sq. ft. out of what is becoming very very valuable property.

As for demand, c’mon. It’s the most in-demand neighborhood in the city. Those restaurants that don’t compete will get swept away for new concepts, but everyone is going to want a taste of that Short North foot-traffic and disposable income.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If that alley isn’t really used for anything, then I don’t see the harm in removing it. Especially considering how narrow and tough it is to navigate.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 103 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE