Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Urban Infill Projects in Italian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Urban Infill Projects in Italian Village

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)
  • Author

heresthecasey
    Participant

Alongside the many current and recent large-scale developments underway in Italian Village, there has also been a lot of smaller urban infill work happening simultaneously. Although individual projects often fly under the radar from a news perspective, over time they do add up and contribute quite significantly to the positive momentum, vitality, and character of the neighborhood.

Right now there is an absolute slew of projects moving through the approval/construction process, filling in gaps in the urban fabric on vacant lots from Russell up to 5th. Although individually any one might not merit a thread, I thought seeing them listed together would really give a fuller sense to the widespread growth happening in the area.

The seven projects below are from this month’s IVC agenda alone, (pretty impressive IMO),

– No Address (formerly 81 E. Fourth Ave./Southeast Corner of Fourth & Say Avenues)
    Juliet Bullock Architects (Applicant) New Victorians (Owner)
    New Construction
     Construct a new 4-unit residential building.

– 307 East Fifth Avenue
    New Construction
     Construct a new 2 ½ story mixed use building at the Fifth Avenue frontage.
     Construct a new 2 ½ story carriage house at the Greenwood Avenue frontage.

– 150 Detroit Avenue
    New Construction
     First conceptual review of proposed new construction to include a two-story, two-unit residential building and a warehouse style carriage house with two residential units above, per the submitted site plan.

– 51 East Fourth Avenue
    Michael Mahaney/MM Developing, LLC (Applicant/Owner)
    New Construction
     Construct new single-family home with detached garage, per the submitted drawings and specifications.

– 270 East Third Avenue
    Jody Dierksheide (Applicant/Owner)
    New Construction
     Construct new single-family home on the existing vacant lot, per the submitted example photographs.

– Sixth Street and Auden Avenue (no address/former Jeffrey Mining site)
    Meyers & Associates Architects (Applicant) Chad Seiber (Owner)
    New Construction
     Conceptual review of new construction on a .964 acre site.
     New construction to consist of twenty-six townhomes.

– East Fifth Avenue (no address- between Say Ave. & Summit St.)
    Karrick Sherrill/Shremshock Architects (Applicant) Brad Howe/Burwell Investments, LLC (Owner)
    New Construction
     Conceptual review of new construction to include a two-story, frame apartment building with three two-story townhomes facing Fifth Avenue and a eight flats in two-stories, extending the depth of the property.

More info, http://columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Columbus/Departments/Development/Planning_Division/Boards_and_Commissions/Historic_Preservation/Italian_Village_Commission/Meetings/2014/2014%20IVC%20APRIL%20agd.pdf

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

No doubt that Columbus’ economy is surely picking up more momentum than we previously had. Great news (my opinion) for Italian Village.

uncleboo
    Participant

I can’t find the older IV Commission minutes on the new Columbus.gov website, but added to the list should be the 6 single family homes designed for the NE corner of 2nd and Summit. I talked to the developer and she is hoping to start construction this summer.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I thought seeing them listed together would really give a fuller sense to the widespread growth happening in the area.

Good idea! Thanks for starting the thread! ;)

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Really intrigued by the two projects on E 5th Ave. Nice to see development creeping that way. The corners of Summit and Fourth are in dire need of change though and could be great focal points and gateways to the neighborhoods.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Yep, so much happening in Italian Village right now. Additional infill would include some projects happening on my street, E. 3rd Ave between Summit and Fourth. There’s two houses currently under construction that are getting close to being finished and then they’ll be moving on to the giant empty lot that sits just to the north of that with 5 new houses. This would be 155-171 E. Third Ave.

Additionally, there’s been a lot of activity around the appliance parts warehouse that sits at 995 N. 4th st at the corner of 4th and 3rd Ave. Surveyors measuring, people in suits walking around the property, etc. Rumor is the property has been sold, but I haven’t heard confirmation on that. This warehouse has a very large lot behind the existing building that is sitting empty at the moment.

dru
    Participant

the last one appears to be this:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@39.987003,-83.002817,3a,75y,199.19h,91.86t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s-BCmQpUO0L842jd1_-3TXw!2e0

i can only hope the Acme taxi depot is next.

MBT
    Participant

Yep, so much happening in Italian Village right now. Additional infill would include some projects happening on my street, E. 3rd Ave between Summit and Fourth. There’s two houses currently under construction that are getting close to being finished and then they’ll be moving on to the giant empty lot that sits just to the north of that with 5 new houses. This would be 155-171 E. Third Ave.

Any documentation on this? I’ve been wondering what the plan was for that lot, considering they recently fixed up the little one-story building on the corner of 3rd and Beacon.

Exciting stuff!

MBT
    Participant

#quotefail

mbeaumont
    Participant

MBT, PM me and I’ll send you a PDF of the plans. If anyone else is interested, PM me with your email and I’ll send along.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Here are the single family homes being proposed at 155-171 E. Third Ave:

heresthecasey
    Participant

Two more houses currently under construction, at 812 and 1111 Hamlet St,

812 plan
    812 site

1111 plan
    1111 site

These are both by Urban Restorations, https://www.facebook.com/urbanrestorations

AMEEKER
    Participant

New Houses on Grant

The new houses on Grant Ave. have been started. They’re moving fast on building, too. We REALLY want good neighbors with kids if anyone is thinking about buying this summer.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The new houses on Grant Ave. have been started. They’re moving fast on building, too. We REALLY want good neighbors with kids if anyone is thinking about buying this summer.

Oh, nice!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER