Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New to Thai food, any advice?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining New to Thai food, any advice?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • Author

patient_zero
    Participant

John Christensen has a mini review of the delicious, but elusive Thai Lagoon in today’s Weekender.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/weekender/stories/2010/02/11/9A_OFF11.ART_ART_02-11-10_T10_N0GHO3C.html?sid=101

I’ve been yearning to hit their cool looking bar for happy hour one day. It’s cool in a late 80’s,early 90’s kind of way.

*Edit* -Sorry Walker, just caught your post. I do like their bar, though. And the food is exceptional.

patient_zero
    Participant

avariell wrote >>
    Just popping in to say that I finally tried Thai Grille in Westerville today for lunch, and it was outstanding. The ingredients were so incredibly fresh. The service was outstanding. The server was very sweet and offered suggestions based on how she would eat the food in Thailand. She arrived in the US less than a year ago and seemed eager to chat about the differences between Ohio and Thailand (for example, she mentioned she was afraid she was going to die when it started snowing so much because she’d never seen it before).

Funny you mention the killer snow because the day I tried to visit them in Uptown Westerville, the snow was so deep there was no where for me to park – anywhere. I turned around, took some snow photos near Corporate Exchange and dined at Nazareth Deli.

G.A. Benton says of Thai Grill: Thai Grille is what happens when the buy-local and organic movements collide with focused Thai cooking. This collision results in one of the best Thai restaurants in Central Ohio, and likely the healthiest.

See more of her review here: http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/content/food/stories/2010/02/24/menu_gabenton.html?sid=104

patient_zero wrote >>

avariell wrote >>
    Just popping in to say that I finally tried Thai Grille in Westerville today for lunch, and it was outstanding. The ingredients were so incredibly fresh. The service was outstanding. The server was very sweet and offered suggestions based on how she would eat the food in Thailand. She arrived in the US less than a year ago and seemed eager to chat about the differences between Ohio and Thailand (for example, she mentioned she was afraid she was going to die when it started snowing so much because she’d never seen it before).

Funny you mention the killer snow because the day I tried to visit them in Uptown Westerville, the snow was so deep there was no where for me to park – anywhere. I turned around, took some snow photos near Corporate Exchange and dined at Nazareth Deli.
    G.A. Benton says of Thai Grill: Thai Grille is what happens when the buy-local and organic movements collide with focused Thai cooking. This collision results in one of the best Thai restaurants in Central Ohio, and likely the healthiest.
    See more of her review here: http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/content/food/stories/2010/02/24/menu_gabenton.html?sid=104

Now this looks like some Thai I can get down on. Can’t wait to try it out!

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I like making making thai curries at home sometimes. I made one Tuesday that was super easy and really good.

1 can coconut milk
    1-2 tablespoons thai curry paste (i used green and two tbl spn)
    1-2 tablespoons fish sauce
    1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1.5lb chicken breast, cut up fajita style
    veggies you like or have on hand, i used red bell pepper, onion, garlic and a can of sliced water chestnuts. if i’d had this planned in advance i like squash/zucchini.

bring curry paste and coconut milk to boil, back off heat to medium+, throw the fish sauce and brown sugar in there, then the chicken, throw in the veggies towards the end. serve over jasmin or basmati rice, mmm! maybe a simple salad with romaine, radish and mandarin oranges and toasted sesame seed with a rice wine vinaigrette.

avariell

Snarf- have you ever tried making your own curry paste? That is an adventure! My sister and her husband spent a few weeks in Thailand for their honeymoon and took cooking classes. She came home obsessed with homemade curry paste. It takes a lot of time, but it is totally worth it!

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I make my curry like Snarf does…green curry is my favie. I leave the brown sugar out though. I don’t like the sweet…

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

No, I’ve never thought to make my own paste, any methods you’d like to share?

DavidF
    Participant

If you are buying coconut milk, don’t buy it at the major grocery stores! I usually see for for anywhere from $1.99 to $2.99 a can. Most of the asian groceries I’ve been to (Bangkok, CAM, etc.) have it for $.99 a can.

avariell

My sister has written up fairly detailed instructions on her blog for curry paste. Here are 3 posts that are good references (and I wouldn’t blame you if you take one look and think this is too much work ;)):
    http://thespicedlife.blogspot.com/2008/08/tick-tock-tick-tock-lauras-thai-green.html
    http://thespicedlife.blogspot.com/2009/07/thai-red-curry-with-roasted-chicken.html
    http://thespicedlife.blogspot.com/2010/01/best-discovery-of-2009-implemented-in.html

DavidF
    Participant

Off to Bangkok (the restaurant, relax) for dinner! Yum.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

RESTAURANT REVIEW | THAI GRILLE
    Asian space rises above rest with fresh, creative touches
    Thursday, March 11, 2010

Open in uptown Westerville since December, Thai Grille emphasizes organic and local sourcing to distinguish itself from other Asian restaurants.

The comparatively large menu is more than a rehash of standard Thai fare.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/weekender/stories/2010/03/11/asian-space-rises-above-rest-with-fresh-creative-touches.html

dmerkow

Went to Thai Grille this weekend. The food was excellent and I’m guessing it will get even better when the local products get better. I’d say it was rather loud and the staff seemed a little overwhelmed. I think the best value comes at lunch. We’ll be going back.

It’s 4:30am and I want Thai food. Look what you’ve done to me in 6 months!

DavidF
    Participant

takeasiesta wrote >>
    It’s 4:30am and I want Thai food. Look what you’ve done to me in 6 months!

That’s why the first taste is free, just to get you hooked. :)

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Speaking of Thai, I made this for dinner last night. It was dum yum.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: