Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Three-Story Mixed-Use Development at First and Summit in Italian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Three-Story Mixed-Use Development at First and Summit in Italian Village

This topic contains 59 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Brent Warren
    Brent Warren
    Participant

Apparently the commission last night expressed some issues with this and requested that it be scaled back. Brad Howe tells me that they will come back next month with something smaller – 3,000 sqft of retail and 6 units, like The Burwell. He said the residential units would be LEED for Homes and have a price point of under $500,000.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Thanks for the update, Brad. So would it be two stories then? Ground floor retail with just one additional story of residences?

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Asking a developer to scale back a 3 story propsed development on a main street in the inner city of Columbus..what a joke!

News
    Participant

Condos Proposed for First and Summit in Italian Village
    May 27, 2014 7:45 am — Brent Warren

A plan to demolish the former gas station at the corner of East First Avenue and Summit Street and replace it with six condominiums has been conditionally approved by the Italian Village Commission. Although final architectural details have yet to be presented, the basic massing, height and density were approved during a special meeting of the commission on May 13th.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/condos-proposed-for-first-and-summit-in-italian-village-bw1

heresthecasey
    Participant

It’s nice that this is finally being approved, but a shame that it sounds like there is no longer a retail component to the plans.

jOHnH
    Participant

I agree, glad to see this eye sore finally moving forward, but disappointed that there will not be any retail/commercial space included in the final product.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’ll agree with that as well. Fourth seems to be developing more quickly as a place for commercial/retail businesses. I would think there would be demand for this corner for Summit as well, especially considering the southern location in the neighborhood and proximity to High Street.

Perhaps the parking situation is too restrictive?

jOHnH
    Participant

I just moved to Italian Village from Victorian Village and have noticed how much of a pain it is parking on this side of High st. It seems that every single street, minus 4th and Summit is permit parking. Now I say the word “pain” for visitors, not my self since I just needed to purchase a parking permit. One of the major issues I see with Summit is the speed at which people travel down this make-shift 3-5 lane highway. Will the new Market on summit have parking available?

cmhcow
    Participant

I read the NFA letter for this site and it stated that the remediation that had taken place made the site suitable for commercial uses, but not residential. Does anyone know if this has been addressed? I haven’t seen/heard.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

One of the major issues I see with Summit is the speed at which people travel down this make-shift 3-5 lane highway.

Hopefully the installation of bike lanes will have some traffic calming effects:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/bike-lanes-coming-to-fourth-and-summit-third-streets-bw1

dru
    Participant

Will the new Market on summit have parking available?

there is no dedicated parking for that building. it will be street parking on Summit and Third, and across Summit none of the streets are permit only (yet). i imagine the bulk of their business will be walk-in.

substance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jOHnH wrote:</div>
    One of the major issues I see with Summit is the speed at which people travel down this make-shift 3-5 lane highway.

Hopefully the installation of bike lanes will have some traffic calming effects:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/bike-lanes-coming-to-fourth-and-summit-third-streets-bw1

Bike lanes will have a calming effect, especially if they are protected as the graphic illustrates. Unfortunately, there is NO plan to have protected bike lanes, just designated

substance
    Participant

Those are big condos

mbeaumont
    Participant

I just moved to Italian Village from Victorian Village and have noticed how much of a pain it is parking on this side of High st. It seems that every single street, minus 4th and Summit is permit parking. Now I say the word “pain” for visitors, not my self since I just needed to purchase a parking permit. One of the major issues I see with Summit is the speed at which people travel down this make-shift 3-5 lane highway. Will the new Market on summit have parking available?

Welcome to the neighborhood!

There are a few others without permit. 3rd Ave, where The Market is located is one of them. I could be wrong but I think most of the streets east of Summit are unrestricted.

melnickj
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jOHnH wrote:</div><br>

Bike lanes will have a calming effect, especially if they are protected as the graphic illustrates. Unfortunately, there is NO plan to have protected bike lanes, just designated

Long time lurker, first time posting. After I read this I couldn’t believe that the City or ODOT or whoever is doing the work is redoing the road without doing protected lanes. I started a change.org petition to try to get them to change their mind: https://www.change.org/petitions/city-of-columbus-and-odot-build-protected-bike-lanes-on-4th-summit

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: