Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Three-Story Mixed-Use Development at First and Summit in Italian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Three-Story Mixed-Use Development at First and Summit in Italian Village

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #548553
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    Generally speaking, if you’re going to build a three-story building in a neighborhood full of two-story buildings, putting it on a prominent corner lot is exactly where it makes sense. It won’t look out of place at all.

    #548554

    heresthecasey
    Participant

    Hopefully, supporters of this project and of Parkside can get a chance to speak at the upcoming meeting to advocate for smart, dense infill throughout the neighborhood. The developers of both have a strong track record of excellent work already completed or underway.

    #548555

    Mercurius
    Participant

    Brad Howe is the same developer that did The Jackson–which seems to be built to a decent quality. This development is almost right next to my home, so I want to reserve judgement until I see the architecture–but three stories seems fine and I’m excited to see more commercial space outside the High Street corridor. It makes it feel more like a neighborhood (and quickly becoming the best example of new-urbanism in Ohio!) Looking forward to hearing more about this proposal.

    #548556

    InnerCore
    Participant

    Walker said:
    Generally speaking, if you’re going to build a three-story building in a neighborhood full of two-story buildings, putting it on a prominent corner lot is exactly where it makes sense. It won’t look out of place at all.

    I agree but the problem is that there just isn’t any logic to this.

    For example, let’s say there is an area with all 2 story buildings. City planners review the area and feel that it makes sense to be 5 stories. Changes are submited through the proper channels, the required parties vote and the 5 story height limit is approved.

    Now as soon as the first person goes to build a 5 story building, people (including those on the commission who should know the zoning code) are going to say a 5 story building isn’t in scale with the existing 2 story buildings. And if you NEVER build anything taller than a 2 story buildings then that will always be the case.

    The entire area is zoned for 35 feet or higher. In fact the lot across the street is zoned for 120 feet. Jeffrey Place will be a block further away from high street and has plenty of 3 and 4 story buildings.

    #548557

    [email protected]
    Participant

    I think the density would be fine for the neighborhood and location. If I remember correctly there is a 3 story brick building about a block away at the corner of second and summit. It fits in fine with the area.

    #548558
    Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

    3 stories not allowed? (scratching my head)

    #548559

    lattethunder
    Participant

    jpizzow said:
    3 stories not allowed? (scratching my head)

    To be fair, it’s not that it isn’t allowed and has already been rejected, those were just concerns listed in the agenda from the last meeting.

    #548561

    lattethunder
    Participant

    After a reread of that entire section of the agenda (I just read David’s part the first time) I think there may have been some concern due to the fact that the building is historic (not merely historical). It is a contributing part of the historic district, and apparently has had some signifigant uses in the past.

    Looks like they aren’t sold on tearing down what could potentially be renovated into an interesting retail/commercial space. Obviously, a Burwell type building isn’t an exact replacement for what the neighborhood would be losing.

    I don’t live in IV, so I can’t say for certain whether this new project would be more or less useful than renovating/repurposing the existing space. It’s nice to see a commission looking at that type of issue though.

    Again, I’m just putting words into everyones mouth, but thats how it reads to me.

    #548562

    mbeaumont
    Participant

    Thanks for the conversation everyone. I am going to start attending IV Society meetings and advocating for more density where I feel it’s warranted.

    I attended an IV Commission meeting and while I found it interesting I didn’t feel it was really welcoming to the general public. I couldn’t really hear what was being said and there was no A/V use at all (projectors and whatnot). So when people showed renderings and plans there was no way for the people other than the commission to view it.

    The commission meeting that I attended was also REALLY long. Like 4+ hours.

    #548563

    zp945
    Participant

    lattethunder said:
    After a reread of that entire section of the agenda (I just read David’s part the first time) I think there may have been some concern due to the fact that the building is historic (not merely historical). It is a contributing part of the historic district, and apparently has had some signifigant uses in the past.

    Looks like they aren’t sold on tearing down what could potentially be renovated into an interesting retail/commercial space. Obviously, a Burwell type building isn’t an exact replacement for what the neighborhood would be losing.

    I wonder what those historically significant uses were? I kind of agree that it could be renovated in a unique way and still be an asset to the neighborhood (see Seventh Son as an example). There is a building right across the street from my store that is a single story cinder block building. It has been a couple of plant stores and is now a clothing store. It might not be the most beautiful building in the world but at least it breaks up the 2-5 story brick buildings that dominate the street. It will eventually be torn down and replaced with said brick building but I guess I’m just not sure that’s such a great thing. I’m all for density and replacing underutilized lots with something better but maybe we can do that and also keep some of the little unloved buildings from the past. You want to tear down the check cashing place and build a dense multi-use building? I’ll be there with a sledge hammer. I can see pros and cons to both sides.

    #548565

    labi
    Participant

    mbeaumont said:
    I am going to start attending IV Society meetings and advocating for more density where I feel it’s warranted.

    The IV Society meetings I’ve attended have been well-run and not excessively long, and they included detailed updates from the IV Commission.

    #548566

    labi
    Participant

    mbeaumont said:
    I attended an IV Commission meeting and while I found it interesting I didn’t feel it was really welcoming to the general public. I couldn’t really hear what was being said and there was no A/V use at all (projectors and whatnot). So when people showed renderings and plans there was no way for the people other than the commission to view it.

    You could try asking the city staff person to add you to his/her email list to get materials to review before the meeting – or ask one of the commissioners to forward you that information. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn’t. It really can be frustrating because you don’t want to show up and bitch, you want to be well-informed, but it’s not always the easiest thing in the world – and it doesn’t always seem like the powers-that-be have put much thought into making “public” meetings useful for the public.

    #548567

    uncleboo
    Participant

    M@C said:If I remember correctly there is a 3 story brick building about a block away at the corner of second and summit. It fits in fine with the area.

    Yep there is – two photos here from the garden on the NE corner of Summit and 2nd. I don’t honestly know if it looks out of place or not height-wise, but the architecture is generally uninspired. Given Brad Howe’s work in the neighborhood I’d guess his building on 1st and Summit would look better.

    photo1.JPG

    photo2.JPG

    #548568

    uncleboo
    Participant

    uncleboo said:
    Yep there is – two photos here from the garden on the NE corner of Summit and 2nd. I don’t honestly know if it looks out of place or not height-wise, but the architecture is generally uninspired. Given Brad Howe’s work in the neighborhood I’d guess his building on 1st and Summit would look better.

    photo1.JPG

    photo2.JPG

    ETA: well, I have two photos but not clear how to add them. And to think I do technology for a living. Ugh.

    #548569
    Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

    mbeaumont said:
    Thanks for the conversation everyone. I am going to start attending IV Society meetings and advocating for more density where I feel it’s warranted.

    I attended an IV Commission meeting and while I found it interesting I didn’t feel it was really welcoming to the general public. I couldn’t really hear what was being said and there was no A/V use at all (projectors and whatnot). So when people showed renderings and plans there was no way for the people other than the commission to view it.

    The commission meeting that I attended was also REALLY long. Like 4+ hours.

    I’ve attended a couple of meetings this year and had the same issues. The room is straight out of 1970. I could barely hear a thing. The loud air conditioner took care of the rest. The projector was in an odd location. What was even more odd was how a developer with a proposal would sit in front of the commission with no mike’s, while everyone behind was left to their imagination as to what was actually going on. I’m hoping the commissions get a much better setup in the new building with updated tech. The setup as it is now is pretty embarrassing.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: