Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Stuff on High St

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Stuff on High St

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 157 total)
  • Author

heresthecasey
    Participant

Was out today and noticed a few new places/changes along high st that havent been mentioned on here yet,

D.P. Dough a calzone restaurant has put up new awnings and looks ready to open at Smith & High in the old Papa John’s space. A look at their website shows they’re a mid-sized chain mostly focused on college towns in the northeast with two other OH locations at OU and Miami.

Red Mango a frozen yogurt joint is taking over the old STA Travel storefront on High between 15th and 16th on campus. They’re another mid-sized chain and this will be their first store in both Columbus and Ohio.

Down by Lane & High the closed Zaxby’s restaurant has apparently been leased and work is underway for the next tenant, but nothing up yet about what it will be.

This one’s just pure speculation on my part, but Smoothie King is listing on their website a “pending” location coming soon to Columbus, possibly to the osu/downtown area as all of their locations to date have been out in the burbs. Also, the color scheme of the chain does match the paint going up in the old Cord Camera space at State & High, (yellow and light blue). But who knows.

Lastly just some random updates or things I noticed, the front of the garden theater has been covered with a half dozen or so “for lease” signs and a # for capitol equities. Maybe the development here is canceled or on hold?

At Long & High what was several ground-floor office suites has been combined into one huge retail space. No tenant yet, but hopefully something great will come in to add to the downtown retail scene.

joev
    Participant

heresthecasey wrote >>
    Was out today and noticed a few new places/changes along high st that havent been mentioned on here yet,
    D.P. Dough[/url] a calzone restaurant has put up new awnings and looks ready to open at Smith & High in the old Papa John’s space. A look at their website shows they’re a mid-sized chain mostly focused on college towns in the northeast with two other OH locations at OU and Miami.

Yusss! Now if we can get a Burrito Buggy annex here, my life would be complete.

surber17
    Participant

D.P. Dough made me gain 25 pounds in college and now I live 3 blocks from it …. not good.

shmack

red mango? no effing way! any word on when it will be opened? i wonder who their franchisee is… you can count on me to skip a meal or two just for some of this awesome amazing tart froyo. SOOO EXCITED!!

Columbusite

There’s a new clothing store called “Outcast” next to Fat Lip Tattoos and on the first floor where Cleopatra Cafe is located is a new Middle Eastern restaurant which also has “Cleopatra” in the name.

Also, the three retail spaces for the Smith & High apartment building are still empty. These are prime, visible spots, fill them up so I have more stuff to walk to!

the_gila
    Participant

heresthecasey wrote >>
    D.P. Dough[/url] a calzone restaurant has put up new awnings and looks ready to open at Smith & High in the old Papa John’s space. A look at their website shows they’re a mid-sized chain mostly focused on college towns in the northeast with two other OH locations at OU and Miami.

Oh…my… I’ve not experienced DP Dough, but I do love a calzone. The website mentions a menu, but I couldn’t find it.

turbo ninja
    Participant

DP Dough is the kind of thing you crave at 2am, so you call to place your order for a Maui Wowi and a Drop Zone with extra sauce and the guy is like “40 minutes to an hour for delivery” and you’re like “that’s fine” and then 45 minutes later the delivery guy is like “I can’t pound any harder on this door without the chance of busting it down” and you’re all passed out sitting mostly upright in a chair, fully dressed including shoes on and contacts in.

It’s tasty but not the kind of thing I’d eat for lunch or a normal dinner.

Here’s the menu for the Athens location. I’d expect Columbus to be very similar if not identical.

the_gila
    Participant

Thanks for the link – guess I didn’t clue in that I had to choose a location for a menu. Yes, looks like excellent pre-hangover food!

Unless it’s been mentioned elsewhere, a place called Ali Baba’s is opening up on campus where Jimmy Guaco’s used to be located. I’m all about more Mediterranean food on campus. Though I would kill for more Indian food options.

WDT

Columbusite wrote >>
    There’s a new clothing store called “Outcast” next to Fat Lip Tattoos and on the first floor where Cleopatra Cafe is located is a new Middle Eastern restaurant which also has “Cleopatra” in the name.
    Also, the three retail spaces for the Smith & High apartment building are still empty. These are prime, visible spots, fill them up so I have more stuff to walk to!

I could not agree more. Those apartments have been filled for a while and no inkling of retail so far.

I’m hoping that places like outcast, and dp dough and Smith and High as well as the new building going on that block with Cleopatras will continue to grow and suceed and eventually lead to a future where the short north and south campus areas link up and create a kind of mega high st corridor. Short north needs to sretch at least to Smith and not end at 5th as it seems to.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Columbusite wrote >>

Those are owned by Robert Weiler, who if judging by his properties downtown, is content with letting them sit vacant for years and years and years. Im actually very surprised he would even have built that new development at all. After all, this is the COTA trustee who called the freeways our mass transit system.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Oh, also at the new building at Euclid & High where Hungry Howies is going in, there is a sign indicating that the UPS store is coming soon/looking for a franchisee at that location.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

There was supposed to be a new Kroger store up towards campus from what I’ve heard. It was about 3 years ago so maybe it’s cancelled. Also, it was either a condo or apartment midrise next to Haiku, I’m not really sure. Have not heard about it for a while. Maybe it was just a rumor. Ok, I remember now. It’s supposed to be a parking lot with extensive landscaping to make it look nice.

heresthecasey
    Participant

patient_zero
    Participant

heresthecasey wrote >>
    Oh, also at the new building at Euclid & High where Hungry Howies is going in, there is a sign indicating that the UPS store is coming soon/looking for a franchisee at that location.

I lived in two different apartments at the East end of Euclid and Indianola (1391, 1400 Indianola) in the late 80’s/early 90’s. The landlord’s office was in the converted fire station on Euclid, close to High. Is anything being done with that space? I think his assets were seized years ago, and that property, along with the converted “patio” apartments on Indianola fell into disrepair.

That converted fire station was really amazing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 157 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION