Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bernard’s Tavern - New Short North Bar

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife Bernard’s Tavern – New Short North Bar

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • Author

patient_zero
    Participant

Stopped in after work tonight. Service was top notch. Ben took great care of me at the bar, and the rest of the servers I watched were really on their game as well.

I ordered a Goose Island Matilda with my fried banana peppers. Matilda was delicious on tap, with mild banana notes. The peppers were sweet and had some kick as well, the heat was easily tempered by a side of 1000 island dressing. This was a half price appetizer (1/2 price from 4-8).

Then I ordered an Allagash White with a vegetable burger and Cajun fries. White Ale had mild lemon and coriander notes, easy to drink. I love unfiltered beer. Veggie burger was composed of different grains and had chili seasoning in it. It was topped with roasted red pepper and portabella strips, onion rings and a dollop of goats cheese. Bun was grilled on both sides. Due to the crumbly nature of the grains, the burger was a little hard to eat, but it was a good alternative to a fattening hamburger. Cajun fries were crispy and lightly dusted with a Cajun powder. Good fries.

Ben gave me a sample of the Bourbon Barrel Ale and it was delicious, another beer for another day. I briefly chatted with the owner and welcomed him to the community. Nice guy, I’m sure he’ll do well.

The 60″ TV’s will be a welcomed addition during March Madness, though a bit high to look at if you are at the bar.

First visit = A

deraj1013
    Participant

You ordered exactly what I ordered (minus the beer, although I had a few of those on a different trip).

My review

patient_zero
    Participant

deraj1013 wrote >>
    You ordered exactly what I ordered (minus the beer, although I had a few of those on a different trip).

It’s funny you say that, because I was thinking of you when I was posting this morning. And while I was eating last night I realized vegans could order the burger without a bun and goats cheese, but the batter on the peppers has egg in it, which may or may not be an issue with some diners. I thought the peppers were excellent.

Nice usage of a local product, too. I didn’t know they were Luna burgers.
    As always. nice review deraj.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I must haul my ass to this place ASAP. I’ve been drooling over those peppers since I first saw the menu…and I dig Luna burgers fo sho.

patient_zero
    Participant

osulew wrote >>
    I must haul my ass to this place ASAP. I’ve been drooling over those peppers since I first saw the menu…and I dig Luna burgers fo sho.

Hey lew, I’m thinking of those damn peppers and 1000 island sauce now. I really enjoyed my first visit, as I’m sure you will, too.

Bear
    Participant

Luna burgers? Cool.

i could swear somebody mentioned whiskey

Tenzo
    Participant

Do they have scotch ale on draft?

I wonder if this place is hiring some extra help. Looks like a great atmosphere!

patient_zero
    Participant

columbusyuppie wrote >>
    I wonder if this place is hiring some extra help. Looks like a great atmosphere!

Not sure, but it really looked like a great place to work; guests and staff were equally as happy, service was efficient and caring and flowed effortlessly, the owner was making his rounds. The guy sitting next to me at the bar with his girlfriend just so happened to work there. If an employee chooses to hang out at a tavern that he works at,it’s a good indicator to me at least that it’s a great place to work. Mac’s Cafe and Liz Lessner’s bars come immediately to mind as being great places to work as well.

I am giving serious consideration to making Bernard’s The Official Bar of T-Bone. That being said, my first visit was not without certain issues.

I was with a fairly large group of 10-12 peeps, and the waitress seemed to handle it well. Service: A-

We sat in the back at a large table right in the middle of the bar, and I was very happy about the view. We could see most of the bar and those of us with our backs against the wall could see all the bar-mounted TV’s. Perfect for watching big sporting events! Atmosphere: A

I was only there from 6-8PM, but the happy hour drinks were cheap, and the selection was huge. $2 bottles of Stella are faaaaaantastic!
    HH and drinks: A

Now for the bad news. The chicken strips we ordered were raw in the middle! Sadly, I had to learn this by biting into it. Gross! I am just happy that today I am not sharting my brains out. Of course the waitress comped them and we ordered something else. The hot wings were bland, cold, and had absolutely no notable characteristic to make them special. The giant pretzels were likewise on the lukewarm side so one bite was enough for me. Finally I tried some sweet potato fries and they were OK. To be fair all these things are on the appetizer menu and I didn’t try any entrees, but from what I’ve tried so far I’m not really tempted to go any further down the menu.
    Food: D-

I hope they are working out the kinks in the kitchen so I can make this place a ‘one-stop’ in the SN. I wanted to stay longer but I had to go somewhere else to eat!

Bernard’s: A great place to visit for drinks, just eat before you go!

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

That bartender dude has one of the greatest mullets i’ve ever seen.

AS for the food, the hummus is some of the best i’ve ever had. The burger was average but good, pretzels were good.

patient_zero
    Participant

jpizzow wrote >>
    That bartender dude has one of the greatest mullets i’ve ever seen.

Oh yeah. I was polishing off the rest of my Cajun fries and I did a double take when I saw his mullet. He just came in as Ben’s replacement. I didn’t mean to stare, it just took me by surprise. I’m not saying this to make fun, I just hadn’t seen a mullet that intense for a number of years. Although I’ve made a few mullet sightings on High Street during the Arnold Classic, and one spiked mohawk.

@TheyCallMeTBone – Nice first post, and welcome to CU. I like your report card review. It’s the first time I’ve seen it utilized here.

The handmade mini burgers may be worth trying, and they are 1/2 off between 4-8.

bman
    Participant

Quite a few of you would make great restuarant reviewers for news organizations, and one of you could do that and photograph the meal for your column. lol Good work all of you and thx Patient for the pics. The deep fried banana peppers sound great.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Eight of us stopped in last night for some happy hour shenanigans, and I have to say that overall I really liked the place and will be heading back. The half off beers until 8 are rad, and half off apps are cool too. I had the best intentions of eating dinner, but it turns out that multiple pints of Bourbon Barrel Rye are a sufficient substitute. (and a handful of Amstel Lights just for good measure)

I thought our server was great. She was friendly and super attentive. I never had to sit with an empty beer (I really hate that). She even offered sample tastings of some of the beers on the menu we hadn’t tried before we ordered full beers. I ordered some fried banana peppers to share, and I’d definitely get those again. Kbear got some buffalo chicken tenders that were burn your face off spicy. They were good but made all of us sweat and are totally not suitable for anyone that doesn’t like stuff REALLY spicy.

Then there was “entertainment”
    Or I guess that’s what we’ll call it. I know this place is perfectly set up for performers, but I’d have paid extra for them to just keep a jukebox going. First some cheeseball with an acoustic guitar got up and muddled HORRIBLY through some bad covers to which he didn’t know all the words. We thought it was maybe a bad joke…some kind of bad live karaoke. Thank god we were in the front by the windows so we could drown him out with our talking. Then a girl got up and announced she also played “acoustic covers.” Greaaaaaaaaaaat. She wasn’t nearly as abyssmal as the first guy (seriously, if that guy “plays” again on a night I’m there, it would cause me to cash out and leave), but we were still glad that we weren’t near the stage to really have to listen to her. Again, I think that having performers there is a good idea, but management needs to CONSIDERABLY kick up the quality of the people they let on that stage.

Overall though, I think it’s a comfortable place with good happy hour deals, so I’ll definitely be back. I’m glad to have it in the neighborhood!

But seriously Bernard’s managment…invite that guitar playing doofus back and I’ll have to smack him in the face with his instrument. Kthx.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

my brother in law is always looking for places to play…and he’s good. you know, good like writes his own shit.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE