Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bernard’s Tavern - New Short North Bar

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife Bernard’s Tavern – New Short North Bar

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)
  • Author

Sethers33

aaminian wrote >>
    Went last night with my buddy. Between the two of us we had 2 Dead Guys, 2 312s, 2 Bourbon Barrel Ales and a hummus plate. Our total was $16 and change. Awesome.

Awesome indeed – thanks for posting the details; makes me want to go there soon!

312 and Dead Guy on tap + big televisions + nice service = Multiple visits from me

jeffz

This talk about televisions leads me to believe this is a great place to catch a game, right? That’s one element that the Short North has been missing (and no, I don’t buy the argument that I should have to go to the Arena District to watch a game at a bar). If so, I can’t wait to check this place out!

ehill27
    Participant

Just got back from Bernard’s. Good stuff… 3 out of 4 of us enjoyed our entrees (and the 4th did like the soup).

The inside hasn’t changed from it’s East Village days.

patient_zero
    Participant

aaminian wrote >>
    Went last night with my buddy. Between the two of us we had 2 Dead Guys, 2 312s, 2 Bourbon Barrel Ales and a hummus plate. Our total was $16 and change. Awesome.

I’m happy that 312 Urban Wheat Ale is on tap, and I’m curious about the KY Bluegrass Bourbon Barrel Ale, but I’m really excited to see Goose Island Matilda on tap as well. Matilda is sold in stores by the designer 4 pack, so this option has my stamp of approval.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

jeffz wrote >>
    This talk about televisions leads me to believe this is a great place to catch a game, right? That’s one element that the Short North has been missing

Um what?

Plenty of places in the SN have TVs, including the Short North Tavern, Betty’s, and Press all within a stones throw of this place. Hell, even the bar at Rigsby’s has a TV. I’ve seen people in all of those places glued to the toob like zombies during various sporting events, myself included.

So whatevez dude.

dru
    Participant

went on Sunday to catch the OSU game. While many bars in the SN have TVs, they aren’t positioned in a way that makes watching sports very easy, especially if you’re in a decent sized group. They just sit there in a corner distracting you from conversation. Bernard’s TVs are straight on above the bar, which is great for sports viewing.

As for the restaurant/bar, we were fairly pleased. Only problem was they were out of a few things we tried to order, which I assume is actually a good sign for a place that has only been open a week (outpacing projections, can be accounted for in the next order).

I’ll be coming with a group of 10 Friday. Can’t wait.

And I concur with what Dru said about the TVs. The televisions aren’t an afterthought in this bar, so it’s got that going for it. Which is nice.

But most importantly, 312 is on tap.

went tonight,

after all this beer sweat

312=Urban Wheat??!? = lemonade

i’ll stick to the Two Hearted

enjoyed Bernard’s

mbeaumont
    Participant

Went to Bernard’s on Tuesday night and it was packed! Expected sub-par service since it’s a new restaurant and they were busy, but happy to report the service was excellent!. Great beer list, nice menu too. My sweet potato fries were barely warm when served, but other than that, we had a great time. Portobello sandwich was great, and my friend’s mac and cheese looked awesome. Overall, great experience. Nice to see a well-run, casual tavern in the Short North (we have a few but this is a nice addition to the neighborhood).

KBear, sorry I led you astray with the 312.

Had some Allagash which went down nicely with the warm pretzels, which were delicious.

Great crowd last night. Hope to see many more.

howatzer
    Participant

Went for lunch at the grand opening today. Met Bernard, who seems nice.
    1. A- for ambiance/layout. This type of upscale sports bar is exactly what the doctor ordered for this over-metrosexualed part of High. Ill bump this up to an A if the front windows open in the summer.
    2. A+ for beer selection. It was like they were channeling me when they made the draft list.
    3. B+ for food. Had “the boss” (skirt steak sandwich) with the sweet potato fries. I could have used higher meat to bread ratio and the fries needed were a little bland and needed more seasoning or less frying. My wife got the portabello sandwich, which she liked. All perfectly fine for bar food.

Definitely will be back.

lundresm

The menu says the pitas for the hummus are grilled, however, they are fried and dripping with oil. The sweet potato fries taste like they have been frozen for years. The burger was burned, the bun was greasy and too big. When I asked how much the Bloody Marry was, I was told it was $3/4, it ended up being $5.50. Finally, it took nearly a half hour to get my check. I’ll give it another chance in the future for the happy hour, just a heads up on what made our meal a disappointment.

VicVillage Guy
    Participant

I’ve already been there twice since it opened. First time I had the mac n cheese which was excellent. The second time I just had a classic cheeseburger and thought it was great as well. The burger was huge. My friend had the same and he liked his as well. Great beer, great staff, great food and great atmosphere. This has become my new SN watering hole. I will be back time and time again.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

checked it out this weekend. my new hangout.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: