Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Cafe Kabul

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Cafe Kabul

This topic contains 18 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  steakknife 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

steakknife

Has anyone tried the new Afghan restaurant, Cafe Kabul (scroll down), at Olentangy & Ackerman? It will have to be quite good to compete with Lavash & Alladin’s. Is it open?

drew
    Participant

Interesting. From what I’ve seen, Afghani food doesn’t really have that strong of a relationship to what Lavash and Aladdin’s do (the owner’s insistence to the contrary nonwithstanding…)

I’m also eager to hear about their opening… anyone else heard anything?

steakknife

coolbuckeye
    Participant

I never thought afgani food was all that impressive but willing to give this new place a try. I drove by yesterday and I don’t think its open yet.

berdawn

is it in the Kroger shopping plaza?

coolbuckeye
    Participant

Yah. Its at the southern end at the old dairy queen.

berdawn

oooo…nice to see something cool going in there. that’s not too far from my office. lunch meetup sometime when I’m on bike not foot?

joev
    Participant

This does sound pretty great. From what I’ve had, Afghan cuisine is more like Persian (lots of rice, nuts, dried fruit, pomegranate molasses, legumes.) I hope they do stay in that general tradition rather than broadening it into a “Middle Eastern” place with hummus, etc. There’s a lot of competition for that market.

drew
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    This does sound pretty great. From what I’ve had, Afghan cuisine is more like Persian (lots of rice, nuts, dried fruit, pomegranate molasses, legumes.) I hope they do stay in that general tradition rather than broadening it into a “Middle Eastern” place with hummus, etc. There’s a lot of competition for that market.

That’s what I’m thinking.

Columbusite

Oh my, I never thought I’d see the day. Now to see if it’s good.

steakknife

<table style=”width:auto;”><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style=”font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right”>From hosted</td></tr></table>

This is the Seekh kabab (beef). It was OK–I could not determine if the problem was execution, or that I may not care for Afghan food. This was not a spicy dish and I found it to be a bit bland. Wikipedia suggested that seekh kabab is often served with chutney or mint sauce–either would have been welcomed. I should have ordered bread as well.

alison

Years ago there was a great Afghan restaurant in DC I always tried to get to while in town. They had wonderful kebabs and a dish called manti (mantu?) that was like a cross between a ravioli and a pierogi, in a fruity tomato sauce.

Mmmmmm…..

JonMyers
    Participant

Khyber Pass on Saint Marks in New York has been my only real Afghani food experience. The food has always been good, thought a bit bland. I usually get the orange rice.

I have to admit I’d mostly go there though, because they had some low pimp tables with lots of cushions where you got to sit with your shoes off and eat.

wassan

I haven’t had a chance to see if this place opened yet, but will definitely go.
    I don’t really think there’s too much of a connection with the Lebanese style of food served at Lavash & the Afghani food at Cafe Kabul. If you want to compare it with something local, then probably Jeddo Kabob or maybe Cafe Istanbul (which is pushing it). But honestly, if you’re ordering food that’s overlapping on the menus of Cafe Kabul & Lavash, you won’t be getting the best each has to offer.

Jon its interesting you find the food bland, I’m curious if it was the restaurant you ate at or if you just find the food itself boring?

rjbb10

Just had it Saturday. 1st time for this type of food. Don’t remember what we got, 2 dishes, asked what they recommended. Not flashy or spicy, but pretty darn good. Friendly, professional staff. I believe it was the owner who came up to ask us how we heard of the place, if we’ve had Afghan food before, to explain that they just opened Monday, and to explain that they are still a work in progress (getting the feel for what improvements are needed).

However, long, long, long wait. This may be because they just opened. On the flip side, we knew our food was being cooked, and not re-heated after sitting.

Will definitely get again when in the area, but will call ahead first.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: