Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Thai Restaurant "Basil" Coming Soon to Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining New Thai Restaurant “Basil” Coming Soon to Short North

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

DCist

I’d love to see more Ethiopian food ANYWHERE! I was just at Barrel 44 a few Sundays ago and didn’t notice much in the spaces around it, but I may have been a little distracted by the large amount of fresh vomit right outside the door of Barrel 44…

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

If vomit isn’t atmosphere, I don’t know what is.

Hael

DCist wrote >>
    I’d love to see more Ethiopian food ANYWHERE! I was just at Barrel 44 a few Sundays ago and didn’t notice much in the spaces around it, but I may have been a little distracted by the large amount of fresh vomit right outside the door of Barrel 44…

oh god…the smell of vomit activates my gag reflex. horrible. apparently, someone couldn’t stomach all that Barrel 44 booze.

shanna

I saw the sign for Basil yesterday!

Is anything replacing Cuppy’s? Looks like Cup-O-Joe is the only coffee shop left (or one of the few).

Thory
    Participant

The Kickstart is about a block north of where Cuppy’s was, Travonna only a few more past them.

Do they have a menu posted? I’ll give them a try, hoping they do their food well, but I would be a lot more excited about an Indian place, or most of all, an Afghan place (if anyone knows of one in Cols. let me know – I’m searching)

Thinking about Thai makes me want to go to Nidas.

drew
    Participant

It does strike me as odd for a Thai place to start up so close to another one in the SN… hope they both do well.

shanna wrote >>
    I saw the sign for Basil yesterday!
    Is anything replacing Cuppy’s? Looks like Cup-O-Joe is the only coffee shop left (or one of the few).

Wish the Coffee Table were back instead of the Mussels with Provolone establishment.

AmandaKing

Aww, Barrel 44 is wonderful and good and cheap and great. RIP Cuppy’s, you confused (but adorable) attempt at a coffee shop…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’ve only been to Barrel 44 twice, but I thought it was fine. They’ve got some good happy hour deals on food.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Barrel 44 is ok.. I do think the interior is kinda generic.

It’s pretty hard to screw up whisky, and they don’t.

Dave is pretty cool.

Bear
    Participant

Kbear919 wrote >>
    Wish the Coffee Table were back instead of the Mussels with Provolone establishment.

+1.

They are never going to live that app down.

cowtownposse
    Participant

Max Power will be happy. All he eats is Thai.

Tenzo
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>
    But there’s already plenty of options for Thai….in the hood. Why not something that the neighborhood is actually lacking? :(

How about authentic Thai?

I have not found a good Thai place in Columbus.
    People I know from Thailand say the same thing.
    A good spicy Thai place is just the ticket for getting my sinuses cleaned out during flu season.

j mcclane
    Participant

chiming in, in defense of barrel 44. the place delivers a dark atmosphere to suck down whiskey, and actually decent food to boot. winter is back and so is my single malt fetish.

does seem odd that basil would open up a block from nida’s. maybe it will be more fast casual (or even delivery! unheard of in columbus, i know).

Daz
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>
    But there’s already plenty of options for Thai….in the hood. Why not something that the neighborhood is actually lacking? :(

How about authentic Thai?
    I have not found a good Thai place in Columbus.
    People I know from Thailand say the same thing.
    A good spicy Thai place is just the ticket for getting my sinuses cleaned out during flu season.

I think that Bangkok (restaurant) holds its own pretty well. I’ve had better food there than I had in most places in Bangkok (Thailand).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION