Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Pope Chosen

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics New Pope Chosen

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 91 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I think you’re absolutely right, LOTW.

tdziemia
    Participant

manate said:
    But I still prefer Episcopal attitudes toward homosexuality, women’s ordination and abortion.

Here, here!
    Having been a Catholic for many years, and now very close to an Epicopalian, I observe that Episcopalians seem more inclined to focus on what Jesus was really about, than Catholics who are largely preoccupied with defending 1800 years of silly man-made rules and institutions (aren’t there ANY Catholics out here on CU who see those as fightin’ words??)

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I know this is pretty out there, but if anyone wants to come to church with us some Sunday we’d love it.

Like I said, we live in Granville now but plan to move to Columbus soon, but boy oh boy am I going to miss our church here. I’ve been to a lot of kinds of churches in my day, and this is hands-down my favorite.

Not only do I go to Sunday services, but I volunteer in the office and do extracurricular stuff several times a month as well. Because it’s fun. Our activities director and assistant to the rector is an openly gay gentleman, and also just sweet and amazing. Half the time he does the sermon and administers the Eucharist. We have lots of gay folks and a surprising racial diversity for Granville. Our rector is one of the most upstanding spiritual teachers I’ve ever met.

It’s a pretty regular thing for us to talk about different religions and what they might have to say, and to talk about things like whether or not we believe certain parts of the Nicene Creed or virgin birth or any of that. But we also get some of the “smells and bells” of Catholicism.

I can be a student of Zen Buddhism and sit comfortably in the pew next to a good friend who believes that Mary was a literal virgin. They know my deal and I know theirs. I like things that include this kind of paradox.

I know Columbus has an awesome Episcopal community as well but we’ll definitely be coming back out here at least once a month.

Sorry to derail a bit. I hope you don’t think I’ve turned into…

tdziemia
    Participant

La plus ca change:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23489702

To paraphrase:
    Homosexual acts are still sinful (but, hey, who I am I to judge the person who commits them?)
    The door has been closed on ordaining women, but of course we should seek a broader role for them.

I believe the man may have a different kind of conscience than his recent predecessors, but clearly he also has a respect (=intransigence) of the recent party line.

The Roman Catholic church is one of the world’s most conservative institutions (in teh lexicographc sense of the word). The real miracle is when anything does change

mrmann

Reminds me of Mikhail Gorbachev toying with Glasnost and Perestroika. Sometimes change is coming whether you embrace it or not.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Manatee said:
    I know this is pretty out there, but if anyone wants to come to church with us some Sunday we’d love it.

Like I said, we live in Granville now but plan to move to Columbus soon, but boy oh boy am I going to miss our church here. I’ve been to a lot of kinds of churches in my day, and this is hands-down my favorite.

Not only do I go to Sunday services, but I volunteer in the office and do extracurricular stuff several times a month as well. Because it’s fun. Our activities director and assistant to the rector is an openly gay gentleman, and also just sweet and amazing. Half the time he does the sermon and administers the Eucharist. We have lots of gay folks and a surprising racial diversity for Granville. Our rector is one of the most upstanding spiritual teachers I’ve ever met.

It’s a pretty regular thing for us to talk about different religions and what they might have to say, and to talk about things like whether or not we believe certain parts of the Nicene Creed or virgin birth or any of that. But we also get some of the “smells and bells” of Catholicism.

I can be a student of Zen Buddhism and sit comfortably in the pew next to a good friend who believes that Mary was a literal virgin. They know my deal and I know theirs. I like things that include this kind of paradox.

I know Columbus has an awesome Episcopal community as well but we’ll definitely be coming back out here at least once a month.

Sorry to derail a bit. I hope you don’t think I’ve turned into…

If it makes you feel any better Manatee, for the last 3+ years, Mae and I have spent almost every Saturday morning at our synagogue for worship. The Shabbat service generally runs 3 hours. We also volunteer regularly for activities. I now president of the men’s club and I am on the board of trustees.

Viewing 6 posts - 91 through 96 (of 96 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: