Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Pope Chosen

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics New Pope Chosen

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 96 total)
  • Author

gramarye
    Participant

Don’t underestimate the power of words that 1.2 billion people listen to (even if they occasionally privately disagree). More, actually, counting non-Catholics who nevertheless take an interest in Catholic doctrine.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

It’s true.

So far, yes it’s still Catholicism, but I like the cut of his jib.

tdziemia
    Participant

There was a lot I liked about John Paul II. But he was still fundamentally against expanding the role of women in the church, anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-birth control.

It is very easy for the church to say they are FOR fghting poverty, FOR social justice, etc. because these things are the “mom and apple pie” of Christianity. They are issues in which the Chrch already demonstrates their commitment at some level, but also areas in which it takes national governments changing their behavior in order to really have a significant impact. On the other hand, they could have an immediate impact on the behavior of 1.2 billion people by changing their position in any of the other aforementioned areas. If that were to happen, I would be deliriously happy (not to mention a tad surprised). But I am NOT holding my breath.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I recently listened to a long series of lectures about the history of the church and the papacy is one crazy tradition.

I didn’t know this before but apparently there was a time when there were three individuals all claiming to be the pope. Then on another occasion, a dead pope was dug out of his grave and had all of his papal vestments removed because the new folks in charge didn’t like him. At some point the whole kit and caboodle was moved to Avignon, France, and then moved back to Rome, which was all kinds of a hot mess.

It’s why apostolic succession doesn’t make any sense to me. There are so many breaks and unaccounted-for historical hiccups along the way. Well, at least that’s ONE of the reasons it doesn’t make sense to me.

I feel the same way about all religious teacher succession. It seems like it’s great to pass along charisms, and this can be a lineage. Lineages are nice because we hardly have those kinds of connections within our contemporary families anymore.

But on the other hand when people get all hardcore about it like it’s some kind of scientific fact– that seems off to me.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Find the time to check out Jeremy Irons in Showtime’s The Borgias. Crazy…and crazy good.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Whoa! Hot drama!

buckette13

I have a lot of Polish relatives and many who have immigrated recently. John Paul II is wildly considered a hero and in many circles regarded as a leading factor in the beginning of the end of Soviet Communism. That is kinda cool in a very secular way.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Absolutely do not like his stance on homosexuality but the actions and statements, the little things certainly count for something and hopefully mark a new tone for the catholic church.

Did anyone catch where his Holiness is breaking tradition (not his) and celebrating Holy Thursday mass in an Italian youth prison anointing and washing the feet of prisoners?

tdziemia
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    Absolutely do not like his stance on homosexuality but the actions and statements, the little things certainly count for something and hopefully mark a new tone for the catholic church.
    Did anyone catch where his Holiness is breaking tradition (not his) and celebrating Holy Thursday mass in an Italian youth prison anointing and washing the feet of prisoners?

Humility is good, but relatively cheap, unless you are egotistical.
    When he allows women to enter the priesthood and agrees that birth control is consistent with stewardship of the earth (not to mention that condoms prevent the transmission of lethal diseases), I will be the first to say he is a transformative pope.
    Till then, he’s just another out of touch old white guy in red slippers… no matter how humble he is.

News
    Participant

Pope Francis: A New Era of “Mass” Transit?
    By Drew Reed
    25 March 2013

It’s a season of firsts for the Catholic Church. Recently, the church saw the first resignation of a living pope in over 600 years, which they followed up by replacing him with the first-ever pope to come from the American continent: Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina, who recently assumed as Pope Francis I. After millennia of almost exclusively European popes, the church appears to finally be getting with the times, recognizing that the majority of their faithful live in South America. At this rate, it will only be 300 more years until they accept the use of condoms.

READ MORE: http://thisbigcity.net/pope-francis-i-a-new-era-of-mass-transit/

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Here’s a hopeful sign:

Pope Francis riles conservatives by washing feet of Serbian Muslim woman

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/28/ancient-christian-foot-washing-ritual-remembered-on-good-thursday/

an interesting note. UA Episcopal Church not washing any feet, sorry heretics/sinners better try the Catholic church after all.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

He’s chosen to live in a two room, low rent apartment vs. the ultra luxury palace digs too. He certainly seems real on the humility part.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I like this new pope. Please don’t think I’m too sentimental, but I think he has love in his heart. He has kind eyes and kind ways.

But I still prefer Episcopal attitudes toward homosexuality, women’s ordination and abortion.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Manatee said:
    I like this new pope. Please don’t think I’m too sentimental, but I think he has love in his heart. He has kind eyes and kind ways.

But I still prefer Episcopal attitudes toward homosexuality, women’s ordination and abortion.

Yeah I don’t think you’re going to see liberalization of Church dogma in this papacy or the next one. But you can’t discount the things he is doing.

And who knows, leading by example and being a Pope focused on ministering to the poor and outcast, being a bridge to all faiths, returning to the best part of the Church’s teaching may have some measured impact on moving from the strong focus on social issues.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 96 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: