Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Pope Chosen

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics New Pope Chosen

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 96 total)
  • Author

lazyfish
    Participant

arguing about religion and faith is very 15th century and sooo boring. To each, her own, do unto others…..

Manatee
    Participant

posterboy said:
    Funny, how you hate catholics, but live in Ohio. Meanwhile, the most liberal states, are where the vast majority of catholics reside. While states like missisissippi, and tennesse have barely any catholics. If you really want to be in a liberal utopia you should move to where teh catholics are: Mass, CA, NY, NJ, etc. you know those awful conservative places filled with those horrible catholics.

I don’t hate Catholics. I don’t think Catholics are by definition, only conservatives, but even if they were, I don’t hate conservatives either.

I don’t like when people practice pedophilia, greed, etc. But people do that in all denominations. Atheists do that stuff too.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

I just think its kind of amusing they still went with the traditional smoke signal reporting. Felt so medieval. Can’t they just get like a Twitter of Facebook account like the rest of us and change their status?

buckette13

mrsgeedeck said:
    I just think its kind of amusing they still went with the traditional smoke signal reporting. Felt so medieval. Can’t they just get like a Twitter of Facebook account like the rest of us and change their status?

They said they brought in a chemist this time to insure the white smoke was white and the black smoke was black. I guess the last time both ended up gray.

lazyfish
    Participant

buckette13 said:
    They said they brought in a chemist this time to insure the white smoke was white and the black smoke was black. I guess the last time both ended up gray.

apt metaphor?

tdziemia
    Participant

Smoke signals announcing results (I think I did that in Boy Scout camp around 1970).
    Old men dressing up in traditional regalia and voting for each other.

Yes, this is the organization responsible for the spiritual wellbeing of 1.2 billion people (another poster’s figure) in the 21st century. Half of whom are women.

Un huh.

tdziemia
    Participant

manatee said:
    Even if Jesus is/was the true God, we weren’t left with Jesus. We were left with Peter, who is just a fallen dude like the rest of us. Once again– why I’m not Catholic. Oh but I had better quit while I’m ahead. Religious convos are a sticky situation for me ;)

No, no, no! You didn’t get the memo! These guys ARE NOT fallen dudes. They are infallible! They even wrote the rule that says it’s true!
    (I love it when you feed me stuff like that :-)) arf.)
    If Jesus were among us today (yeah, yeah, I know … many believe he is) he would recognize all these types in the Catholic clergy, an dbe extremely upset. They are exactly the types he excoriated in the organized religion of his day. An irony that is probably best appreciated at some slight distance from Catholicism.

tdziemia
    Participant

lazyfish said:
    arguing about religion and faith is very 15th century and sooo boring

Au contraire: arguing about religion is very 21st century (and very topical in American politics) … as your avatar proves!

Manatee
    Participant

tdziemia said:
    manatee said:
    Even if Jesus is/was the true God, we weren’t left with Jesus. We were left with Peter, who is just a fallen dude like the rest of us. Once again– why I’m not Catholic. Oh but I had better quit while I’m ahead. Religious convos are a sticky situation for me ;)

No, no, no! You didn’t get the memo! These guys ARE NOT fallen dudes. They are infallible! They even wrote the rule that says it’s true!
    (I love it when you feed me stuff like that :-)) arf.)
    If Jesus were among us today (yeah, yeah, I know … many believe he is) he would recognize all these types in the Catholic clergy, an dbe extremely upset. They are exactly the types he excoriated in the organized religion of his day. An irony that is probably best appreciated at some slight distance from Catholicism.

That’s what I was trying to say… that’s why I’m not Catholic.

tdziemia
    Participant

Moi non plus.

Manatee
    Participant

I almost look at Catholicism as dad worship. Like, very traditional, dad doesn’t always make a lot of sense but he’s dad and we love him. It’s the oldest Christian tradition so a lot of people respond to that.

I like the message of Jesus and like the community aspect of church, but if I said I was comfortable with all of the harm perpetrated in the name of organized religion, I’d be lying. That’s why I go to a very liberal church– and I mean socially liberal, not politically so. We have all kinds of political persuasions represented at my church. But the main theme is worship and helping the community, via feeding people and alleviating suffering.

I think of my church as, dad’s nice, but so is mom. And everybody else. Let’s try to be better people and walk our talk. I like that.

/Ugh here I go again talking about religion. MUST SHUT IT :)

RhondaH

^ My old pastor used to call that a ‘Buddy Boy Jeezus’ church. ;)

Manatee
    Participant

RhondaH said:
    ^ My old pastor used to call that a ‘Buddy Boy Jeezus’ church. ;)

Oh you have got to elaborate on that! Sounds like there is a story there!

tdziemia
    Participant

Patriarchal.

= The three Abrahamic religions.

Women get short shrift in all three. It’s why they are destined for the junk heap of culture sooner or later.

Except for the adaptive forms … liberal Christian denominations (Episcopalians look pretty good to me); liberal Islam (recall that Turkey has had a female head of state), etc. The fundamentalist forms will deservedly die of the sclerotic diseases they refuse to treat.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

As a lapsed Catholic, I am very intrigued to see what significance the first Jesuit pope will have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_Jesus

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 96 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.