Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Pope Chosen

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics New Pope Chosen

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 96 total)
  • Author

geoyui
    Participant

snarf sounds like a hipster …

tdziemia
    Participant

Why would anyone expect anything other than another conservative old guy?

This is an institution which, not so long ago, felt it was a radically progressive move to actually face the congreagation during worship, and speak in a language most of them could understand.

I do find it interesting that North America may have ben passed over forever in terms of popedom. It’s jumped from the Old World (where … explicably … it overstayed its welcome) completely over North America to a part of the developing world where Catholicism remains strong. If I recall correctly, the handicappers had also mentioned possible candidates from Africa and maybe the Philippines?

Long live the ongoing PC-ness of Catholic bashing (I think it’s also OK to bash evangelicals, correct? Though I think you tend to get a bit more lip from them than from Catholics).

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

While I certainly wouldn’t condemn or bash all the people of the Catholic Faith, I think its fair to say the clergy (particularly higher up the chain) has pretty much made their own bed at this point.

tdziemia
    Participant

The dalmatian points out that his breed has been wearing black and white for centuries to bolster their claim of eligibility for the priesthood, so he’s pretty dispirited by the choice of yet another conservative who’s unlikely to entertain a broader notion of who could make a good priest …

SusanB
    Participant

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2011/jan/04/argenitina-videla-bergoglio-repentance

What one did not hear from any senior member of the Argentine hierarchy was any expression of regret for the church’s collaboration and in these crimes. The extent of the church’s complicity in the dark deeds was excellently set out by Horacio Verbitsky, one of Argentina’s most notable journalists, in his book El Silencio (Silence). He recounts how the Argentine navy with the connivance of Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, now the Jesuit archbishop of Buenos Aires, hid from a visiting delegation of the Inter-American Human Rights Commission the dictatorship’s political prisoners. Bergoglio was hiding them in nothing less than his holiday home in an island called El Silencio in the River Plate.

rus
    rus
    Participant

vestanpance said:
    fun times are here again!

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

rus
    rus
    Participant

tdziemia said:

Long live the ongoing PC-ness of Catholic bashing (I think it’s also OK to bash evangelicals, correct? Though I think you tend to get a bit more lip from them than from Catholics).

Gee, it’s the response from the adherents that determines the PC-ness?

So if the Catholics where more like Muslims ( you know, beheading infidels, throwing acid on women who go outside uncovered, all the fun stuff ) then it wouldn’t be PC?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

FSonicSmith said:
    Walker; while I have utmost respect for you and how you handle being owner/administrator, it pays to have a sense of humor.

I didn’t say anything about humor. Just explaining to snarf why the media blitz is a media blitz around this news.

tdziemia
    Participant

rus said:
    Gee, so is the response from the adherents that determines the PC-ness? So if the Catholics where more like Muslims (you know, beheading infidels, throwing acid on women who go outside uncovered, all the fun stuff ) then it wouldn’t be PC?

Naw, I was just reacting to an earlier poster’s comment on Catholic bashing being PC… and then extending it a bit to other Christian sects. Garrison Keilor thinks it’s PC to bash Lutherans (though maybe bashing is a bit strong for his brand of humor).
    And of course Catholics have been a lot like Muslims for much of their history. Intolerance tends to look similar wherever it’s practiced.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I’m happy for all the nice, humble, faithful, regular people who take Catholicism seriously. It is a very old and, for many, a comforting tradition.

But for all the pedophiles, greedy people, politicians and intolerant folks who believe in a vengeful God who will ultimately judge them… if they are right they’re in for some very instructive pain.

ETA: we were at our church for a building construction meeting last night, when the rector’s phone rang in the middle of the presentation. As he moved to turn off the ringer, one guy said, “Is it Rome?” Hardy har.

tdziemia
    Participant

manatee said:
    But for all the pedophiles, greedy people, politicians and intolerant folks who believe in a vengeful God who will ultimately judge them… if they are right they’re in for some very instructive pain

Nope. What used to be called the sacrament of confession takes care of all that. Just go into the little booth and tell the priest, and the slate is wiped clean. No muss, no fuss, and you are once again in a state of grace. How con veeenient!

posterboy

tdziemia said:
    manatee said:
    But for all the pedophiles, greedy people, politicians and intolerant folks who believe in a vengeful God who will ultimately judge them… if they are right they’re in for some very instructive pain

Nope. What used to be called the sacrament of confession takes care of all that. Just go into the little booth and tell the priest, and the slate is wiped clean. No muss, no fuss, and you are once again in a state of grace. How con veeenient!

I mean which catholics are you refering too? Catholics tend to vote democrat, you realize this correct? I mean out of the 24 catholics in the senate, the vast majority are dems. Don’t let facts get in the way of your hate for catholics or anything. I mean hey, Joe Biden is not a catholic or anything. Neiether is John Kerry. I mean most catholics in the USA dont live in the northeast or anything, you know the most liberal part of america.

I love how hatred for wacko religious nuts is always directed towards catholics when it is in fact protestants from the south and the midwest that spew most of the vile talk. God, how far we have come since the days of JFK… NOT.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

tdziemia said:
    manatee said:

That’s a good point, and also why I’m not Catholic ;)

At any rate, still believe those people will be answering one way or another.

Even if Jesus is/was the true God, we weren’t left with Jesus. We were left with Peter, who is just a fallen dude like the rest of us. Once again– why I’m not Catholic. Oh but I had better quit while I’m ahead. Religious convos are a sticky situation for me ;)

posterboy

posterboy

Manatee said:
    That’s a good point, and also why I’m not Catholic ;)

At any rate, still believe those people will be answering one way or another.

Even if Jesus is/was the true God, we weren’t left with Jesus. We were left with Peter, who is just a fallen dude like the rest of us. Once again– why I’m not Catholic. Oh but I had better quit while I’m ahead. Religious convos are a sticky situation for me ;)

Funny, how you hate catholics, but live in Ohio. Meanwhile, the most liberal states, are where the vast majority of catholics reside. While states like missisissippi, and tennesse have barely any catholics. If you really want to be in a liberal utopia you should move to where teh catholics are: Mass, CA, NY, NJ, etc. you know those awful conservative places filled with those horrible catholics.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 96 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: