Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Pope Chosen

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics New Pope Chosen

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)
  • Author

Graybeak
    Participant

So I am sitting in my office and notice the bell being rung at the cathedral next door, and I wonder why. I mean, it is 2:10, so that seemed kind of odd.

So I shoot over to yahoo and see a headline that says new pope is chosen.

Yay for the new pope.

On one side, I am surprised I didn’t see a thread talking about the selection already on the message board.

But on another side, upon further reflection, not so surprised.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Graybeak said:
    On one side, I am surprised I didn’t see a thread talking about the selection already on the message board.

I guess we don’t have too many catholics around here?

Pope Benedict XVI Resigns

News
    Participant

White Smoke Rises; New Pope Is Chosen
    By RACHEL DONADIO
    Published: March 13, 2013

VATICAN CITY — With a puff of white smoke from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel and to the cheers of thousands of rain-soaked faithful, a gathering of Catholic cardinals picked a new pope from among their midst on Wednesday. The name of the new pope, the 266th pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church, by tradition would not be revealed until he appeared on a balcony on the front of St. Peter’s Basilica.

READ MORE: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/14/world/europe/cardinals-elect-new-pope.html?_r=0

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

WGAF has been my reaction to pope mania. It surely doesn’t deserve 50% of the morning news.

New chief pedo, whoopee.

geoyui
    Participant

Snarf said:
    WGAF has been my reaction to pope mania. It surely doesn’t deserve 50% of the morning news.

You’d think Ryan Seacrest was announcing the winner.

Dotson

Snarf said:

New chief pedo, whoopee.

Catholics the only religious group you are still allowed to pick on.

ricospaz
    Participant

vestanpance said:

Hilarious movie.

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

I hear Sinead O’Conner has been waiting in nervous anticipation.

geoyui
    Participant

CarTalk on facebook:

White smoke from the Vatican!
    Our analysis: leaky head gasket.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Snarf said:

There’s around 1.2 billion catholics in the world. So having a new leader for such a large religious group is certainly important global news, regardless of your own personal beliefs.

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

Walker said:
    There’s around 1.2 billion catholics in the world. So having a new leader for such a large religious group is certainly important global news, regardless of your own personal beliefs.

Walker; while I have utmost respect for you and how you handle being owner/administrator, it pays to have a sense of humor. In 2013 a bunch of very old men in Rome play politics under the rubric of “divine intervention” and choose a Pope with all the attendant rite and ritual and pomp and circumstance. Forget about all the other issues the Church faces and it is still a bit farcical. No more farcical than the over-the-top attention the press and media gave to the Carnival Cruise ship being towed into port but that proves the point-yes the media cater to the masses rather than what is truly important. Nothing titillates the public like a bunch of people being stuck on a ship with shit rolling down the halls. The tail wags the dog. Whatever happened to the Fourth Estate. Well, it died, intestate. Without a will, Walker. Forgive the puns.

Graybeak
    Participant

So, Frankie goes to Vaticanwood.

Cardinal Mario Bergoglio from Argentina. A Jesuit. Taking the name Francis I

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

This will eventually be answered, but I wonder if he named himself Francis I or if the media is just calling him that. I remember reading that Pope John Paul I chose a name including the “I” and that this was a precedent.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

To Catholics everywhere, I wish you all the best. I hope your new Pope is a wise and effective leader.

And yes, I made a silly joke that was so immature that I felt obligated to remove it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: