Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Outlet Mall(s) Planned for Central Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping New Outlet Mall(s) Planned for Central Ohio

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 185 total)
  • Author

Graybeak
    Participant

They always forget the Ruckmoor!

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    They always forget the Ruckmoor!

I drive by that place every day and wonder about it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Mister Shifter said:
    It might lack retail, but Crosswoods is beyond loaded with restaurants that do well. The Ruth’s Chris there is phenomenal. J. Gilbert’s might be my favorite place for steak in the city. Hyde Park, Columbus Fish Market, J Alexanders, Bravo, Wurst Und Bier, Winking Lizard…

And I’m sure they’re thrilled about this new retail development shifting customers even further away.

geoyui
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    Same reason you find empty strip malls & shopping centers throughout the city.

yeah, but in the middle of nowhere they decide to build one outlet mall next to another that was at the time either failing or near empty?

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I’m not trying to be contrarian, but I’m not sure that an outlet mall 11 miles north of 270 off I-71 is going to have any effect on dining in Crosswoods.

News
    Participant

Delaware outlet mall developers Simon, Tanger have history of cooperation
    Business First by Brian R. Ball, Staff reporter
    Date: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 1:08pm EST

Simon Property Group’s plans to cooperate with Tanger Factory Outlet Centers Inc. on an outlet mall in Delaware County isn’t the first time the developers have cooperated on a project.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2012/11/delaware-outlet-mall-developers.html

geoyui
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    It might lack retail, but Crosswoods is beyond loaded with restaurants that do well. The Ruth’s Chris there is phenomenal. J. Gilbert’s might be my favorite place for steak in the city. Hyde Park, Columbus Fish Market, J Alexanders, Bravo, Wurst Und Bier, Winking Lizard…

Love me some Ruth’s Chris steak. Hyde Park steak, bleh.

GCrites80s
    Participant

The deals at these places are highly overrated.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Mister Shifter said:
    I’m not trying to be contrarian, but I’m not sure that an outlet mall 11 miles north of 270 off I-71 is going to have any effect on dining in Crosswoods.

I’m not a retail industry expert, but I feel as though I’ve talked to enough of them to safely say that all large scale development like this outlet mall has some sort of measurable impact that ripples throughout the region.

Whether or not that will be a .01% decrease in sales or a 5% decrease in sales is left to be seen. I can’t imagine it having any positive increase on Polaris, Crosswoods or even Easton or Tuttle for that matter.

I also imagine it will have an impact felt at the outlet malls way south of Columbus as they are currently destination shopping for many in the Columbus metro area. If there’s a new closer option with some of the same stores, then people are going to gravitate toward the newer and closer store.

Columbus is overbuilt for suburban retail as is.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

geoyui said:
    Love me some Ruth’s Chris steak. Hyde Park steak, bleh.

Agreed Ruth’s Chris blows away Hyde Park. The Hyde Park off Old Henderson isn’t bad though. That’s the only one I’d eat at if I were to.

geoyui
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    The deals at these places are highly overrated.

Agree and the items you buy at an outlet mall are generally not the same items you’d find at an Easton/Polaris/Tuttle

Truth about outlet malls

geoyui
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    Agreed Ruth’s Chris blows away Hyde Park. The Hyde Park off Old Henderson isn’t bad though. That’s the only one I’d eat at if I were to.

I’ve been to the hyde park in the SN. Great atmosphere and location, horrible steak.

News
    Participant

Mega outlet center planned for I-71 interchange in Delaware County
    Business First by Brian R. Ball, Staff reporter
    Date: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 10:33am EST

A joint venture that includes Tuttle Mall owner Simon Property Group wants to build a 350,000-square-foot outlet center at the Interstate 71 exit at routes 36 and 37 with the owner of the former Prime Outlets retail property in Jeffersonville. Indianapolis-based Simon (NYSE:SPG) and North Carolina-based Tanger Factory Outlet Centers (NYSE:SKT) announced a deal to build the upscale center. They also plan to develop one of equal size in Charlotte, N.C.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2012/11/29/mega-outlet-center-planned-for-i-71.html

ricospaz
    Participant

I doubt they’ll put fine dining near the outlet mall. Now is not the time to panic.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I’ve been to the Jeffersonville outlet mall several times and have yet to find good deals, at least deals that you would think to find on overstocked, last season merchandise. Not to mention the fact that I have to spend $20 in gas just to get there. I can find enough things on sale around here to satisfy my needs. If anyone knows of any stores down there that really do offer knock-your-socks-off deals compared with regular store prices in Columbus, then please enlighten me.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 185 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE