Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

122 Olde Towne - New Apartment Development Proposed on Parsons Avenue

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion 122 Olde Towne – New Apartment Development Proposed on Parsons Avenue

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 140 total)
  • Author

InnerCore
    Participant

Answering your own question. You like the design, for whatever reason, so there’s your self interest.

Where did I say I like the design??? You pointed out already that it doesn’t have retail on the ground floor and therefore not the best choice for people like me.

I don’t necessarily like the building hence me calling it “not bad”. However I think the building will be good for the area especially in reference to what is there now.

InnerCore
    Participant

Absolutely. People act in self interest, even if the only benefit they get is something intangible such as a good feeling.

Not saying there’s anything wrong with that, mind you. People working together in common self interest is a good thing.

Which goes to show the absurdity of your argument. If people are arguing FOR this project not because its better for them but because they truly believe it will be better for the most amount of people, then by your standards they are simultaneously arguing FOR what people want (which you said they aren’t) and FOR their own self interest which is the satisfaction of a good feeling at seeing what they perceive to see as a thriving neighborhood.

rus
    rus
    Participant

If people are arguing FOR this project not because its better for them but because they truly believe it will be better for the most amount of people

Big ‘if’ there. I don’t believe that’s the case.

InnerCore
    Participant

Big ‘if’ there. I don’t believe that’s the case.

Of course you don’t. You positions seem to revolve around what you believe everyone else thinks.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

NOBOPatriot
    Participant

Thank God common sense has prevailed – this is good development and will be good for Olde Towne East and the City and density and is consistent with what historically was on Parsons – 4 story brick, residential, upscale apartment buildings. This is a good project and glad zoning approved the plan and hope it proceeds

It will also bring higher income residents to the area and improve the demographics and attract more retail and amenities. It offers another housing option in OTE and represents $7MM in an empty abandoned lot. YBP owners should focus on pizza not “grandstanding” and not making this an “issue” by importing outsiders to pack an OTENA meeting or stand on a corner for a photo-op.

Everyone should let it go and now support the new owners and reasidents. Bobby is great for the neighborhood and supportive. He is good people, but they should now support this development and let it go – they got a variance and have a great new patio to promote – these new residents might buy more pizza – jeeze! imho

OTENA should focus on more police and vacant lots and the garbage at the BP (make them uphold the good neighbor agreement) and a boulevard on East Broad and crappy landlords like (Oak Street owners)and getting more resources invested by the city in the OTE hborhood – they should also pursue code violations and bad “homeowners”

This “investment” represents risk for the developers and it is their money “on the line” More people on Parsons and a great new building with 35+ residents will also help create leverage with ODOT discussions – it will also help “brand” OTE as a place to live and a good investment on many dimensions. This development is strategic on many dimensions – all good. And higher rents are good for the diversity hope they get $2000 a month+ we don’t need more CPO or section 8 (they ain’t buying pizza, at the Tavern or having their beards cut at Olde Familiar) or poor people in OTE – plenty already

The Garfield complainers – should focus on the old Columbus School for girls and other vacant buidlings – if they spent as much time down at the Huntington Bank corp office on High street – maybe they could convince the bank to sell tyhe Gustavus/Garfield house and “renovate” it themselves -that way they would have control of the corner

AmyArt21
    Participant

OTENA should focus on more police and vacant lots and the garbage at the BP (make them uphold the good neighbor agreement) and a boulevard on East Broad and crappy landlords like (Oak Street owners)and getting more resources invested by the city in the OTE hborhood – they should also pursue code violations and bad “homeowners”

Good news:

OTENA General Membership Meeting – 734 Oak St
    Wednesday, April 9 at 7pm

Richard Pfeiffer and Shayla Favor from the City Prosecutor’s office will speak about nuisance abatements, land bank properties and a bill to expedite the foreclosure process in abandoned properties.

Sue Carpenter from city code enforcement will be there to answer questions clarifying what is a code violation and how to best handle blighted properties in the area.

Please join us! You do not have to be an OTENA member to attend the meeting.

citywalker
    Participant

Thank God common sense has prevailed – this is good development and will be good for Olde Towne East and the City and density and is consistent with what historically was on Parsons – 4 story brick, residential, upscale apartment buildings.

Could you say specifically where these 4 story buildings existed on Parsons?

Not that Tom
    Not that Tom
    Participant

NOBOPatriot,

So I guess the “garbage at BP” would not qualify as “good people” to you? Just checking.

Some kind of ranking would be nice. For reference

Coy
    Participant

Hey NOBOpatriot… since you know so much about OTE since moving here, I’m curious if/how are you associated with NEAC? Cause I have a sneaking suspicion you are…

But, way to throw the many dozens of your neighbors under the bus for standing up for what they thought was right, while they were totally professional to those with differing opinions.

But, for the record, since we’ll have City Attorney Pfeiffer available tonight, maybe we need to talk about Sunshine Laws, qualified immunity, and the questionable practice of a chair of a local area commission speaking out for developers at BZA meetings… cause, for the record, area commissioners are completely libel for their actions and receive no backing from the city legally if they behave inappropriately is how I understand it.

Hope to see you tonight.
    You can crap on us all to our faces at least, then we’ll go cry in our pizza and you can enjoy the moment.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

This.

“OTENA should focus on more police and vacant lots and the garbage at the BP (make them uphold the good neighbor agreement) and a boulevard on East Broad and crappy landlords like (Oak Street owners)and getting more resources invested by the city in the OTE hborhood – they should also pursue code violations and bad “homeowners.”

One apartment building in a HUGE neighborhood, the sky is falling, it’s going to be less edgy, Adobe Gilas is next!

NOBOPatriot
    Participant

“So I guess the “garbage at BP” would not qualify as “good people” to you? Just checking”

I was referrring to the litter at the Douglas/E Broad Corner and in the lot, around the pumps, etc. Garbage is litter, paper, cups, debris. If the BP and Dutchess shoppes want to have the benefit of the most profitable location in the USA – they should devote some payroll hours to keep the area swept, clean and tidy. When they came in they signed a GNA with OTENA – part of the deal “was that they would weekly” pick up the cans and trash and keep the place respectable not a “dump” and then say “we are too busy and don’t have enough staff” to pick up “their customers’ trash and near the bus stop. OTENA should focus on holding them accountable since the GNA was signed by OTENA and BP as a compromise where there “zoning variances” on that corner in the first place. There were 4 pumps in 1995 now there are 24 with 24 hour store. This is called “proactive neighborhood activism”. The GNA was a contract and they should be on “their case” to keep the area clean and presentable – imho

Not that Tom
    Not that Tom
    Participant

I was referrring to the litter at the Douglas/E Broad Corner and in the lot, around the pumps, etc. Garbage is litter, paper, cups, debris.

Oh, my mistake. I was being overly sensitive.

Now I know how the Cancel Colbert people feel.

citywalker
    Participant

NOBOPatriot wrote:
    Thank God common sense has prevailed – this is good development and will be good for Olde Towne East and the City and density and is consistent with what historically was on Parsons – 4 story brick, residential, upscale apartment buildings.

citywalker wrote:
    Could you say specifically where these 4 story buildings existed on Parsons?

NOBOPatriot,

Have you come up with anything yet?

You don’t need to provide actual addresses or anything. Just some general idea of where they were. I’ll be happy to do more investigation if you can give me a lead because I am interested in the history of the neighborhood.

Other possible answers are:

1. I read it in a book long ago and I forget.
    2. I saw it on a map in the library but the map was destroyed in a/the flood.
    3. I was drunk in a bar and the bartender told me.
    4. I make my living BS-ing all day and I figure some of the untruths I tell will become true if I repeat them enough.

heresthecasey
    Participant

On a street of 3-story buildings, 4 floors is by no means out of scale or at odds with the context.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 140 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE