Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

122 Olde Towne - New Apartment Development Proposed on Parsons Avenue

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion 122 Olde Towne – New Apartment Development Proposed on Parsons Avenue

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    Not that Tom
    Not that Tom
    Participant

yeah I agree, Walker.

Parsons is the place where any additional businesses would want to set up shop in Olde Towne. Unless houses on Oak Street can be re-purposed / demolished (I don’t know zoning)

jbcmh81
    Participant

Walker said:
    The design and density looks great, and this will be a great infill project for Parsons.

That being said, it would make a lot of sense to build ground-floor retail for this placement. OTE is largely a residential neighborhood, so it wouldn’t make sense on a lot of streets, but Parsons is already a pretty major commercial strip for the neighborhood. If you’re going to do ground-floor retail/office, this is a prime spot for it.

Agreed, especially with the loss of retail/restaurant space across the street.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    The design and density looks great, and this will be a great infill project for Parsons.

That being said, it would make a lot of sense to build ground-floor retail for this placement. OTE is largely a residential neighborhood, so it wouldn’t make sense on a lot of streets, but Parsons is already a pretty major commercial strip for the neighborhood. If you’re going to do ground-floor retail/office, this is a prime spot for it.

Sooo… missed opportunity, then?

cmhcow
    Participant

Street level retail in urban neighborhoods often relies on two things to be successful – viability and on-street parking. After the ODOT construction, this site will have neither. If ODOT doesn’t build, then this is a great site for ground level retail.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    Sooo… missed opportunity, then?

For the developer… Probably not. Renting apartments is easier (in the short term) than finding solid retail tenants.

For the neighborhood, yeah… Missed opportunity.

cmhcow said:
    Street level retail in urban neighborhoods often relies on two things to be successful – viability and on-street parking. After the ODOT construction, this site will have neither. If ODOT doesn’t build, then this is a great site for ground level retail.

Understandable. Sucks that ODOT has to screw things up.

urbanenthusiast
    urbanenthusiast
    Participant

Great idea.

VERY unappealing architecture. :(

Analogue Kid
    Participant

There are plenty of opportunities for neighborhood retail a few blocks east at Franklin & 17th. I’m happy to see the development.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

My digital rendering is too hot.

My digital rendering is too cold.

My digital rendering is too lumpy.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Here is an image for another proposed ODOT project under consideration (this view is while it is under construction):

substance
    Participant

ODOT is a hungry monster Columbus does not need faster highways. Less highways the roads safer will be. ODOT needs to use the their T for non aTuo transportation.

romanh
    romanh
    Participant

Walker said:

This seemed to be the sentiment of many of those who came out to the site on Saturday morning.

citywalker
    Participant

romanh said:
    This seemed to be the sentiment of many of those who came out to the site on Saturday morning.

I would like to see retail on the ground floor also, but how many businesses that are ready to locate to this part of Parsons can afford new-retail rents? There is potential retail in the building next to Carabar (I believe this remains after ODOT is done) and it is not currently being used as retail.

A good compromise would be to design part of the bottom units as “loft”/”open” residential space that could later be converted to retail.

The developers don’t need a zoning variance to make it all residential but since they are asking for 8 other variances, it could be part of a negotiation.

Coy
    Participant

So, addition of a uber bland apt complex in an area with a lot of character, and removal of the two closest businesses that have helped sustain this area of Parsons for years, and no freaking parking anymore for anyone that wants to shop the area.

Awesome.

And Carabar just got wings.

FML.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

It’s not the bland apartments fault that Carabar is getting the axe.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Coy said:
    …and no freaking parking anymore for anyone that wants to shop the area.

Do people currently park in that gravel lot? I’ve never used it. Never had any problem finding on-street parking on Oak or Parsons.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 140 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE