Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Ohio License Plates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion New Ohio License Plates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

cheap

wow,what do you folks have against farmland and a skyline?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cheap said:
    wow,what do you folks have against farmland and a skyline?

It’s not the concept, it’s the execution.

JonMyers
    Participant

I like the new plate a lot better, but it’s a little over designed. All that beige text in the background is just clutter, is inreadable and takes away from the impact of the red wing graphic/ icon which is pretty awesome on its own.

labi
    Participant

Walker said:
    I kind of like the sample design posted that has a whole bunch of slogans, facts, URLs and other stuff all scattered about in slightly different (but complimentary) typefaces.

I’d rather see that instead of having it narrowed down to just one.

My understanding is that the voting is to help establish a group of slogans/etc that will be distributed over the background in the same way the sample plate shows.

Write-ins are permitted in the box at the bottom of the form… https://ext.dps.state.oh.us/BMVOnlineServices.Public/NewPlateSloganVote.aspx

I think the background is a good design solution to the relentless pressure to include the favorite dipshit slogan of every member of a committee overseeing a project like this. The fact that it will be subtle (i.e., mostly unreadable) is a benefit, and on the drivers license it’ll be a security feature.

labi
    Participant

Check out the competition:

”license plate news” website[/url]

jimbach
    Participant

I’m torn between “Mother of Presidents” and “Rubber Capital of the World”, but I’d definitely go with “Steel” if it were changed slightly to “Steel!”

Twixlen
    Participant

In the piece on one of the news stations, the person froom the DMV said there will be a customizable line of 13-14 characters on each of the plates and we’ll get to pick what we want it to say. I thought this was most intriguing. And seems like there would be a lot of policing.

leftovers

Twixlen said:
    In the piece on one of the news stations, the person froom the DMV said there will be a customizable line of 13-14 characters on each of the plates and we’ll get to pick what we want it to say. I thought this was most intriguing. And seems like there would be a lot of policing.

Since these are all made by prison labor, it could get interesting…

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I am my license plate.

Roland
    Participant

The current Ohio farm plates are terrible. This is a good change. We avoided getting the farm plates by going with the personalized option.

I’d prefer if license plates were more Euro. Smaller profile and simple.

Who wants legally required pictures of Old McDonald’s farm on their car?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Roland said:
    Who wants legally required pictures of Old McDonald’s farm on their car?

What if it were a picture of Wayward Seed farm instead? ;)

Roland
    Participant

Walker said:
    What if it were a picture of Wayward Seed farm instead? ;)

:D

We did go with the Sustainable Farming plates. It’s got a nice graphic of the State of Ohio on it without going overboard.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

They used to play around with typography and O-H-I-O

Roland
    Participant

Those are nice form factors. Why did they have to plump them up in the first place?

UrbanApplachian
    Participant

I wish the plates said “Home of Innovation”. Some of the greatest inventions of the 20th Century had roots in Ohio. Anything better that the farmville plate we had.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE