Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New 'no parking' signs

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A New ‘no parking’ signs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

honavery

Does anyone know who I can ask or call about ‘no parking’ signs? Specifically, when they were put up? I came back from my parents house to find what I’m almost positive are new ones on my street, which resulted in a towed car. I’m not 100% sure, but I’ve parked there tons of times before in the 3 years I have been here with no issue, and the no parking signs look new.

More for my curiosity than anything else.

bayrea
    Participant

I think they put up a whole bunch on the street that is across from Surley Girl next to the Family Dollar.. I tried to park there the other day and it was all permit parking… I don’t remember this and know I parked on the street a million times before.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Could probably call 311 to find out:

http://311.columbus.gov

atomicphoto

We got a ticket on that street across from Surly Girl just last week. I’ve parked there a million times and never seen the signs before either. What made it worse is that we saw the signs when we got out of the car, but we misread them to say permit only from “7am to 7pm” instead of “7pm to 7am,” which they actually say. The street was mostly empty, but the half dozen of us left parked there after 7pm all had tickets.

honavery

I’ll try 311, thx.

These signs are no parking any time except city permit A.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Alternately, you could probably call/email GVS. They’d probably know:

http://www.germanvillage.com/contact.htm

;)

misskitty
    Participant

When ever going to Short North I always scale the street for permit parking only. I only made that mistake of not checking that one time . It would suck to have them show up though.

laChewla
    Participant

I’m with misskitty. If you’re going to park your car somewhere – check for signs EVERY time.

misskitty
    Participant

it would be just my luck to get towed the one time I don’t look. lolz

honavery

Now I have a little more time, let me fill the blanks in here.

My girl friend is in graduate school in Athens. She was flying home to ME for 2 weeks starting on Monday, December 22nd. I parked her car on Frankfort between Pearl and High as I have done many times before. I dropped her at the airport and then headed to my parents house in Indy.

When I returned on the afternoon of the 26th her car was gone. She called the impound lot, and they said they had put 3 tickets on the car, then towed it. I would of gotten it out for her that day, but only a family member can get it and she has no family in the area.

So it sat there another week till she got back on the night of the 3rd. She just went and got it today, and the total was close to $400. The tickets, the towing, the storage, and a per day fee.

I really want to fight this, but the impound lot is such a zoo there is almost nothing you can do when you’re actually there. (a fist fight broke out while we were in line between 2 women).

Any advice on how to proceed? She got the hearing form, I really need to know the date the signs were put up.

Thanks.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I would appeal it. Probably depends on the hearing officer you get that day.
    But it would be good to know when those signs were put up. Although, you are really only allowed to have a car parked on the street in the same spot for 72 hours.

honavery

Anne wrote >>
    I would appeal it. Probably depends on the hearing officer you get that day.
    But it would be good to know when those signs were put up. Although, you are really only allowed to have a car parked on the street in the same spot for 72 hours.

Ok, we are trying to appeal. Never knew the 72 hour rule, I’ll keep that in mind for the future. Thx.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, we had a very similar problem almost in the same location a few years ago. Anne used to live on Frederick between Front & High, so just a few blocks away. My license plates were stolen off my Jeep, and we reported it to the police immediately. It happened on a Friday, so there wasn’t much we could do about it over the weekend, and neither of us had off-street parking available at our apartments. The cop who took the report said we’d probably be fine until Monday on the street.

We went out of town with some friends the next day (Saturday) and came home to a missing Jeep. They ticketed and towed it because of the missing plates. My job at the time was requiring to me to work mandatory overtime because my department was behind, so I was working 12 hour shifts all week from 7am-7pm, so I had no way of getting it out of the impound lot for an extra week, as I don’t have any family around either. The total bill for the tickets and towing and storage was around $400, which I had to pay to get the Jeep back.

I appealed and was called down to the Whittier offices to state my case. I told them the whole story and they decided to let me go with a warning and reimbursed me.

The license plates turned up in police custody a few weeks later after they were found on a stolen vehicle elsewhere in the city. So I got them back, but I had already replaced them by that point, so they didn’t do much good.

So yeah, I feel your pain about these types of hassles. It sucks, but I’ve got my fingers crossed that you’ll be reimbursed. ;)

honavery

Thanks Walker, that is very encouraging. I will def. proceed with the hearing.

misskitty
    Participant

yea you may as well what’s the worse that could happen? At least it is not like traffic court and if you Fail you pay court costs :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE