Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Long Street Condos

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Long Street Condos

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

surber17
    Participant

I have a feeling that there is already a post out there about this, but I can’t find it. Anyway, I heard on NPR this morning about a building on Long that has been knocked down for a new condo complex to be built. Does anyone have any more info on this?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It’s going to be at Long & 21st, done by CHP. I believe the land sale/transfer approval was handled at last night’s City Council Meeting.

I was able to take a sneak peek at the renderings at CHP’s offices a few days ago, but they’re not ready to unveil them to the public yet. Will have more info posted as soon as I get the greenlight. ;)

futureman
    Participant

surber17 wrote >>
    I have a feeling that there is already a post out there about this, but I can’t find it. Anyway, I heard on NPR this morning about a building on Long that has been knocked down for a new condo complex to be built. Does anyone have any more info on this?

After looking at google maps it makes me wonder why they couldn’t have used the empty lot across the street vs knocking down the existing building.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Does CHP own the empty lot?

If so, I imagine they’re probably going to develop there anyway. They’ve done a lot of infill work on 21st in the past few years.

surber17
    Participant

The report stated they bought the building for 1500 bucks … not a bad deal

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Here’s three renderings so far, all of the new build.

The new build portion will contain 7 condo units while the building next door is being rehabbed and turned into 2 units.

More info coming soon…

anillo
    Participant

I like what they did with the garages, making it look different on the front than the back.

futureman
    Participant

anillo wrote >>
    I like what they did with the garages, making it look different on the front than the back.

+1, they look pretty nice. I’m looking forward to hear more about them.

Urbanboi

This is always good news to hear..Its sad to see such a historic building go though.

jawjack187

The building that was demolished was not historic, it was old. It was in disrepair and was unsafe because of that. It sat vacant for over 10 years. I think it would be good for those who care to walk the KLD and determine which structures that are vacant and/or abandoned that you would like to have saved. Identify them, buy them (or find someone with the resources to do so) and then rehab them and make them productive. Sure there are old buildings in every neighborhood. The alternative is, in the SN, if it is old, it probably isn’t abandoned, and if it is, it certainly won’t sit empty for over 10 years. Someone would consider it an investment, and do what it right to save it. We don;t have very many people willing to do thin in the KLD, and so these type of old properties (with little historic value other than their age) are left to sit and become havens for drugs, crime, or worse. I think we do need a plan, but a plan without resources is in vain.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I wish I had money for The Edna. Actually, there are currently 4 buildings over here (KLD) that I wish Walker and I had the money to buy up and do something with.

Also, I like the condos above.

Urbanboi

Strict codes should go on buildings like this, If they are fixed up they will be more appealing for businesses to move in. Its hard for alot of people to see the end result without a facelife.

Leahy255
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Here’s three renderings so far, all of the new build.
    The new build portion will contain 7 condo units while the building next door is being rehabbed and turned into 2 units.
    More info coming soon…

I love the three-story concept, I’ve seen detached versions in the south, and it helps saves on land. They had courtyards and other things since they reduced land ussage.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Very interesting. Walker, do you know of an early timetable, or an estimate as to the expected cost?

jawjack187 wrote >>
    The building that was demolished was not historic, it was old. It was in disrepair and was unsafe because of that. It sat vacant for over 10 years. I think it would be good for those who care to walk the KLD and determine which structures that are vacant and/or abandoned that you would like to have saved. Identify them, buy them (or find someone with the resources to do so) and then rehab them and make them productive. Sure there are old buildings in every neighborhood. The alternative is, in the SN, if it is old, it probably isn’t abandoned, and if it is, it certainly won’t sit empty for over 10 years. Someone would consider it an investment, and do what it right to save it. We don;t have very many people willing to do thin in the KLD, and so these type of old properties (with little historic value other than their age) are left to sit and become havens for drugs, crime, or worse. I think we do need a plan, but a plan without resources is in vain.

Maybe you should ask yourself how the worst neighborhood, much worse than present-day KLD, which was full of ho-hum buildings in disrepair now doesn’t have buildings sitting vacant for a decade and then bulldozed. If people with your position were in charge of the fate of Short North buildings back in the day it would look a lot more like Long in the KLD and not see much improvement. The wholesale demolition of so much of Long St means it has lost the perks of an intact urban environment and now requires lots of new builds to fill in the gaps. I’m glad there were enough people with the guts and the vision to invest in and turn around the dumpy old commercial buildings of no historic value that continue to stand in the Short North.

The question is: why are there so few of these kind of people now? I really don’t know why our pool of moneyed urban pioneers basically dried up after the success of the Short North. Part of the answer lies in the fact that until you have enough of the right people with first-hand experience in an up-and-coming neighborhood like KLD you aren’t going to see much progress because the only way you can see the potential of such an area is by being there yourself. Actually, since the Short North was on way to Downtown or OSU many were pretty much couldn’t help but see the area, whereas others like this one has to make an effort to seek it out.

This new development along with the Whitney condos is OK, but for most developers this might as well be Linden or whatever other area name results in an immediate dismissal. The neighborhood association should also get everyone to focus on the handful of blocks of Long between Hamilton Park and 17th: this development is happening outside of the improving business corridor when there are quite literally a dozen empty grass lots sitting untouched near the new Lincoln Theatre, coffeeshops, and book store. Why is the city prioritizing this lot over those? Is there something I’m not getting?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: