Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Franklinton Tap Room - New Liz Lessner Restaurant in Franklinton

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Franklinton Tap Room – New Liz Lessner Restaurant in Franklinton

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

MichaelC wrote >>
    The potential for revitalizing Franklinton is staggering. To have someone like Liz Lessner leading the charge is a boon for this entire community. Where Liz’s brilliance goes, I’ll surely follow.

I know! Any obstacle that’s standing in the way of other neighborhoods either doesn’t apply to Franklinton or is negligible. For a great Franklinton there are just two words: West Broad. I wish there were more than just Liz Lessner nowadays willing to have a presence here. Still, I’m certain this will result in more popping up nearby. There are like five intact walkable blocks of storefronts west of the area we’re talking about from Yale to Princeton (was there a theme here?) with so much potential. If she was going to be an uber urban pioneer and locate in this area this is the building. Just how much TLC it would need however, is the big question.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=columbus&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Columbus,+Franklin,+Ohio&gl=us&ei=ezUZTMquLuPpnQffptnJCg&ved=0CCcQ8gEwAA&ll=39.958381,-83.032619&spn=0.00197,0.006105&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=39.958303,-83.032888&panoid=pbhHSb9HLoW9wfmxA-YT2g&cbp=12,172.68,,0,-5.21

catnfiddle
    Participant

The problem is that there is a distinct lack of lizless on this thread, so I will keep my hopes on the minimal side while praising the current industry she has brought to Franklinton.

roy
    Participant

I’m pretty sure I heard LizLess is opening a small place next door to my house, serving only my favorite foods and daily whims. She will have snappily dressed staff people deliver to me during inclement weather and I will receive a special discount except weekends when everyone will eat for free! In her spare time she will serve as my life coach and provide relationship, wardrobe, financial and Facebook advice.

catnfiddle
    Participant

roy wrote >>
    I’m pretty sure I heard LizLess is opening a small place next door to my house, serving only my favorite foods and daily whims. She will have snappily dressed staff people deliver to me during inclement weather and I will receive a special discount except weekends when everyone will eat for free! In her spare time she will serve as my life coach and provide relationship, wardrobe, financial and Facebook advice.

I’ll be moving in shortly.

Bear
    Participant

roy wrote >>
    In her spare time she will serve as my life coach and provide relationship, wardrobe, financial and Facebook advice.

And I thought I was special.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Lawd, y’all are outta control.

The wonderful Jim Sweeney has been an incredibly patient and informed resource, friend, tour guide and host to us the past few years as our restaurant group has in fact been prospecting in Franklinton. For any person looking to open up shop in Franklinton, talk to Jim, Reza, Trent or Erin from FDA, they are helpful, informed and eager to help new businesses take shape. Their enthusiasm, support and encouragement for the area is exciting and infectious. I spent an afternoon driving the neighborhood with Jim Sweeney and left feeling excited and inspired for what the future holds in Franklinton.

Also, Chris Boring of Boulevard Strategies has been a wonderful resource for information and demographics related to the West Side as he recently completed a retail study for the Hilltop. After a twenty minute talk with Chris, I was convinced that setting up on the West Side is not only an exciting proposition but a lucrative one as well for the right concept. Open businesses here, people. This guy can show you why.

We do have an interesting concept for the area, I spent some time in South Philly in 2007 researching and developing the concept. Finding the right space has proved challenging as the lending market for restaurant concepts has certainly taken a nosedive more recently.

Thanks for the love, interest and support. Columbus is a great town filled with wonderful opportunities. Franklinton is definitely a diamond in the rough.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Columbus is a great town filled with wonderful opportunities. Franklinton is definitely a diamond in the rough.

This is what has me excited.

Location, location, location. Franklinton has that.

It also has history, history, history. It pre-dates Columbus, having been founded in 1797. It has a rather nice view of Downtown Columbus, and has good pedestrian, highway, rail, hospital and school access.

Now, all it needs is Liz.

<ba dum bump…>

Sorry.

The beauty part is, the City sees the potential, too, having made this peninsula part of the Downtown area’s long-term plan.

It reminds me a little of what Philadelphia’s North Liberties neighborhood has become: “something of small enclave of young professionals, students, artists, and design professionals.”

Can’t wait to help make it happen.

News
    Participant

Restaurateur passionate about neighborhoods
    By Ray Paprocki
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
    Monday April 30, 2012 7:29 AM

Elizabeth Lessner stands in a gutted building on W. Broad Street. Plywood covers windows. Piles of trash dot the floor. Several missing bricks at the bottom of the back wall create an unintended entrance for creatures of various kinds. Where others might see a mess, Lessner envisions opportunity.

If all goes according to plan, not only will the two-story storefront become home to another in Lessner’s growing restaurant group next spring, but its renovation also will act as a catalyst in the long-struggling neighborhood of Franklinton, which is beginning to attract interest and investment.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/04/30/columbus-restaurateur-passionate-about-re-energizing-neighborhoods.html

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

This is wonderful. But Liz, when are you coming over to Long Street? The KLD could use some Liz Lessner love too!

SusanB
    Participant

Love to see a Lessner place down on the South Side. The Explorers Club and Hal & Al’s need some company :)

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

We should arm-wrestle, Susan. The winner gets the next new Lessner restaurant for their neighborhood! :D

Twixlen
    Participant

Her commitment to the West Side extends beyond the idea for a new restaurant. She said the Columbus Food League is looking to open a second Dirty Frank’s in Westgate. And she and her husband, Harold LaRue, are thinking of moving from their home in the Hocking Hills in southeastern Ohio to the same neighborhood.

*dances many jigs*

News
    Participant

The Franklinton Tap Room Takes a Step Toward Opening
    Published on June 26, 2013 3:50 pm
    By: Walker

The Franklinton Tap Room is already seven years in the making, and construction has not even begun yet. This long-awaited Columbus Food League (CFL) bar-and-restaurant concept is a bit closer to becoming a reality though, as the Franklinton Development Association (FDA) just purchased the building at 937 West Broad Street, where the venue will eventually reside.

“This is really exciting, as it’s been in the works forever,” said Elizabeth Lessner, Founder and Owner of CFL. “Jim Sweeney and I have been talking about the Tap Room for almost seven years, but we faced some substatial setbacks when we originally applied for funding right as the recession hit.”

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/the-franklinton-tap-room-takes-a-step-toward-opening

News
    Participant

Update from here:

Modernized Chintz Room Restaurant Reopening at Lazarus Building

The Franklinton Tap Room – On track for a Fall 2014 opening. Still in the process of bidding for contractors through the Franklinton Development Association.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Anyone know if this is still happening?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: