Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Aab India Restaurant on Grandview Avenue

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Aab India Restaurant on Grandview Avenue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 133 total)
  • Author

GW_Justice
    Participant

Aab Indian Restaurant – not quite ready for the masses

The food was good, the service was poor.

You expect some bumps on the opening night of a restaurant, but the manager said that some employees didn’t show up for work! He apologized, he said “sorry, this was terrible service today”. We noticed. The server took our order quickly, the samosas were out in five minutes, then … 35 minutes later the main course arrived. Getting back to us with the check was another long wait. He even somehow lost the order and had to re-write the ticket. I think we got some discount, but the the service will need a lot of work before it is acceptable.

Menu photos of the first three pages. Right click and select “view image” for embigening.

I’m not a real Indian food aficionado so I can’t tell you if the food was better than average for these sort of dishes. I guess it was as good or better than other Indian food I have tasted.

My shrimp masala.

The wife’s saag paneer.

Hopefully they will work out the service problems and this will be a good addition to the cornucopia of food choices on Grandview Ave.

1470 Grandview Ave., 43212, ph (614) 486-2800

catnfiddle
    Participant

Thanks for being the guinea pig (this is a compliment as we have guinea pigs we love very much)! I’d say give the service a week or so before we descend en masse, especially if a server has vanished.

takeasiesta

I stopped in today too and sat at the bar. A really beautifully decorated space with earthy green and browns tones. They have a really nice wine and top shelf liquor menu. I got a Malbec and it was one of the better ones I’ve ever had which says a lot (around $6.50 a glass). I wasn’t very hungry so I just got the vegetarian appetizer platter which had 3 vegetable pakoras (fried vegetable fritter), 1 samosa, 1 aloo tikki (Spiced mashed potatoes that are battered and fried, 1 paneer pakora (block of cheese that is battered and deep-fried) and 1/2 papardamm (crispy spiced lentil wafer). I really loved the tamarind chutney. Their menu is very extensive and ambitious. The service was very slow and every employee seemed to be working each position. At one point the credit card machine was having problems so they had a very rough opening day. The girl that I talked to at the bar worked a double even though she wasn’t scheduled since other employees didn’t show up. The food was excellent, they just need to work on the service side of things. Everyone was super nice and apologetic. They kept running into problems all day. I also ordered the special tea (black tea with cardamon and other spices with milk) and it was very good. Expect great things from this place once they get the major kinks ironed out.

Thanks for the explanation– we stopped in for dinner and stood at the host stand for 10 minutes. After no one even looked at us, we left. (It didn’t help that we overheard a seated customer complaining loudly about the lack of service.) Will definitely give them a try again in a week or so– what a bad way to start!

Lorence
    Participant

Just curious – did you notice if they had a kids menu on the back?
    A couple of Indian places we go have a small kids menu (we have a 9.5 yr old), particularly Taj Palace – He likes the “min-meal”, lentil soup tandoori chicken & naan. They also have a “beginner’s curry”. He’ll sometimes eat what we eat there (usually chicken mahkani, lamb saag or chicken korma), but like to feel like he’s getting his own…Kids….

takeasiesta

Lorence wrote >>
    Just curious – did you notice if they had a kids menu on the back?
    A couple of Indian places we go have a small kids menu (we have a 9.5 yr old), particularly Taj Palace – He likes the “min-meal”, lentil soup tandoori chicken & naan. They also have a “beginner’s curry”. He’ll sometimes eat what we eat there (usually chicken mahkani, lamb saag or chicken korma), but like to feel like he’s getting his own…Kids….

They might have a separate kid’s menu somewhere. Probably call them and ask. I did see that they had 6 levels of spiciness from 0 having no spice to 6 extremely hot so they might be able to accommodate him.

Lorence
    Participant

Thanks – It’s not so much the spice for him (we just had homemade grilled buffalo chicken last night!), sometimes it’s just the general flavor as well as the “ownership” of the dish.

gk

We ate there last night. The food was great; the service, not so great. They are still learning the menu and ironing out some common opening issues. However, we would definitely go back for the food.

deraj1013
    Participant

From ThisWeekNews…

Vintage bistro delivers classics with finesse

Read more

HopperFan

We went in last night (Wednesday) around 8 pm. Seated promptly, but it took over 10 minutes before someone realized that we hadn’t been waited on yet. In the meantime, waitstaff were buzzing all around us – there may have been some confusion about what section our table belonged to. We were looking at the menu and in no particular hurry, so we didn’t bother flagging anyone down.

Finally, a waiter noticed, and got the manager – he came over to take our order, and the food came promptly. That made the wait worthwhile – it was delicious.

stoneschick84
    Participant

We ate here on Friday night. I had heard the service was bad, but my husband and I are pretty laid back about that kind of stuff, so we decided to try it out anyway.

The service was even worse than expected. Yikes.

My friend ordered a glass of wine at the bar, and the bartender took her order and immediately went into the kitchen, and didn’t return for 15 minutes. There were many, many empty tables, but we weren’t seated for 25 minutes after we arrived. When we finally were seated, we ordered some Naan. It didn’t arrive until our meals did – well, one of our meals, anyway. They brought my husband’s Tandoori chicken out a full 15 minutes ahead of the rest of our food, so we were all just kind of staring at it hungrily. I ordered a second glass of wine at dinner, which never arrived. The check arrived and it wasn’t split, as we had requested, so we asked them to split it (just two ways). They wrote both of the totals on the back of one check, which was confusing.

Service issues aside, the food was fantastic. I’d probably get takeout from AAB next time instead of sitting down for the meal.

rus
    rus
    Participant

stoneschick84 wrote >>

Noticed they have a “now hiring” sign in the window today. Perhaps that’s a sign of things to come?

GW_Justice
    Participant

rus wrote >>

stoneschick84 wrote >>

Noticed they have a “now hiring” sign in the window today. Perhaps that’s a sign of things to come?

Or maybe that sign means that staff is fleeing from poor management.

I don’t have any experience with restaurant management, so I can’t comment as an insider, but doesn’t it seem like the problems are beyond just a lack of staff?

shmack

there might also be a cultural barrier. if the staff isn’t familiar with a lot of the dishes on the menu, and isn’t properly educated, they won’t be adept at recommending them. and the burden of responsibility shouldn’t be placed solely on the management, some of the most successful servers i’ve worked with are curious and take the initiative to familiarize themselves with everything on the menu.

recently heard a story about how a friend ordered a sam adams at a new restaurant and the server/bartender asked how to make such a drink. ; o)

Jimbo Jones

When my wife and I went last week, we had a few minor issues with the service. But our food arrived in a timely manner, and it was fantastic. Maybe we’re more laid back than other people. As long as my food is excellent, I can overlook a lot of minor issues related to the service.

I do hope this place catches on, because the food is excellent.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 133 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: