Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Aab India Restaurant on Grandview Avenue

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Aab India Restaurant on Grandview Avenue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 133 total)
  • Author

avariell

I just skimmed the thread (I am very tired after my dog woke me up crying for 2 hours last night for no reason) but I may have missed it if someone mentioned it, but Banana Leaf Cafe on Bethel Rd has very yummy vegetarian Indian food. The owners are incredibly friendly and kind (I mentioned cooking classes and they asked if I wanted to visit the kitchen right then and there).
    http://www.bananaleafofcolumbus.com/
    ETA: They use the thali/silver plates which is why I thought to mention them…

Also, if you are remotely interested in cooking Indian food at home, go get yourself a copy of [u]660 Curries[/u] by Raghavan Iyer. It is AMAZING. I never thought I liked Indian food til I tried Banana Leaf, and now I love cooking it at home cuz of that cookbook.

honavery

Not open yet, fyi.

tourist19
    Participant

Does anyone know if any Indian restaurant in town makes Khatta Meetha Bhara Baingan? It is baby eggplant stuffed with paneer in the best sauce I’ve ever had in my life. It’s a red sweet/sour/spicy (not hot spicy though) sauce of the gods. I had this dish at a restaurant across from the hotel my airline stays at by the Dulles Airport and used to bid to overnight there just so I could go to that restaurant (yes I bid overnights based on food). We don’t overnight there any longer and I really really would love to find a local source. I used to beg the waitress to tell me what was in that sauce, but they never did. I think it involved tamarind, but the flavor profiles of Indian food are so complex it was beyond my figuring out more than that. Anyway, if anyone’s ever seen anything like that on a menu anywhere I would be most appreciative :-)

avariell

@tourist19
    were there cashews or peanuts in the stuffing? In 660 Curries there are several stuffed baby eggplant recipes. One in particular, called baghare baingan*, is a fried baby eggplant… there is no paneer, but I bet you could add it if the sauce tasted right to you. (Not sure if you are really interested in cooking it at home, just figured I would look for you.)

* meant to say that the name of this dish looks similar to what you referenced.

pecuniadea

@tourist19 I haven’t seen an eggplant stuffed with paneer on a columbus menu yet. Most of the places just have typical baingan bartha (the small, round eggplants stuffed with masala) or the south indian places have the long, chinese eggplants sliced, pan fried with different masalas.

I would imagine if you go to one of the north indian restaurants in town and suggested that they try the dish, they may replicate something similar. Paneer is a north indian speciality, and definitely one of the restaurants that focuses on the cuisine of punjab (amul, sher-e-punjab, bayleaf for example) may try and make it if you give them a description. Everything is better with paneer!

tourist19
    Participant

Thanks for the tips guys! It was more the sauce that I want than what was in it (although that was amazing too). It’s seriously unlike any sauce I’ve ever seen anywhere.

@avariell: There were sliced almonds on top of the dish, but I don’t think any nuts in the stuffing, although I could be wrong.

Sigh, the search continues.

takeasiesta

Does anyone know if this is open yet? I haven’t driven by there in a couple of weeks. I did a little googling to try and figure it out and found a couple of articles:

From [url=http://614columbus.com/magazine/03-01-2010/foodwire]614 Foodwire:[/url]
    [i]Aab India Restaurant is opening in the former Thom’s on Grandview space (1470 Grandview Ave.). Those who know of its parent restaurant, [url=http://www.ambarindia.com/Menu.htm]Ambar India[/url] in Cincinnati, will tell you that the Indian food gods are now smiling down on Columbus. The same menu, prices, and head chef will be present for the March opening.

Another new Indian restaurant, Tadka, is opening this month (3535 W Dublin-Granville Rd.). Tadka is a smaller Atlanta-based chain that offers “Northwest frontier cuisine” and promises to be an entirely different Indian food experience.[/i]

And [url=http://www.snponline.com/articles/2010/01/17/multiple_papers/business/alltvresta_20100115_0412pm_1.prt]this article[/url] giving some insight on the owners.

Tadka could be a fun outing too!

futureman
    Participant

I don’t think it’s open yet. Drove by tonight after going to Giant Eagle and it still looks closed.

rus
    Participant

futureman wrote >>
    I don’t think it’s open yet. Drove by tonight after going to Giant Eagle and it still looks closed.

Ditto.

GW_Justice
    Participant

Open! ABB India Restaurant is in business.

Just drove past, saw signs and people inside. We might be eating here tonight.

catnfiddle
    Participant

GW_Justice wrote >>
    Open! ABB India Restaurant is in business.
    Just drove past, saw signs and people inside. We might be eating here tonight.

YAY!!! Report back to us with details!

Rockmastermike
    Participant

<<– is eagerly awaiting developments

takeasiesta

YAY!! A group outing is in order!

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

takeasiesta wrote >>
    YAY!! A group outing is in order!

Count me in.

JonMyers
    Participant

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can’t wait to go.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 133 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.