Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Aab India Restaurant on Grandview Avenue

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Aab India Restaurant on Grandview Avenue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 133 total)
  • Author

rus
    Participant

I’m looking forward to this place opening. Always nice to have dining out options for diet days.

KSquared

rus wrote >>
    I’m looking forward to this place opening. Always nice to have dining out options for diet days.

I usually ruin that by eating far too much naan.

rus
    Participant

KSquared wrote >>

rus wrote >>

I usually ruin that by eating far too much naan.

Or pigging out on samosas …

futureman
    Participant

isn’t “ABB” above India Restaurant? Seems like they should have name it Restaurant India, but hey not no matter what I’ll be giving it a try.

FYI, did anyone actually read what Urban Knight wrote? God knows I didn’t.

takeasiesta

@Urban Knight

When I wrote that it was pretty early in the morning when I’m very irritable so I fired off my response pretty rashly. I’ve now learned not come on CU before my coffee because I can be a heinous bitch.

The problem that I had with your statement was the fact that you brushed off a whole subcontinent full of food that has various regional differences. Your examples of Kim Chi and apple pie are only one aspect and a single dish from each of the aforementioned food cultures. Spices, on the other hand are integral to every single dish in Indian cooking. Curry powder, cardamon, saffron, turmeric, chili powder, mustard seed, fennel seed, various peppercorns, nutmeg, bay leaves; the list of spices used in Indian cooking go on and on, to the point that they are even included in the desserts. Yes, there is a lot of poorly made Indian food out there that do make people sick, along with other ethnic cuisines that also may not sit well with different people. The reason I brought up “complex” flavors is a lot of people don’t know how to properly prepare and use spices. For example, I make my own cumin powder by first toasting the cumin seeds before grinding them so different warm notes in the spice can come out and be expressed in the final dish. Also, the taste of the food depends on how fresh the spices are since they can develop rancid flavors from oxidation if they have been sitting on the shelf too long. I brought up the spice anecdote because that is why Indian food has evolved into what it is today. I do not believe that Indian food is superior to other cuisines.

I am studying nutrition/dietetics and I’m a chef at the Fawcett Center at OSU. From a dietetics standpoint, research has shown that people who are picky eaters are the ones who tend to obese, so I find it off putting when someone brushes off a whole genre of food. It’s fine to have one or two individual foods that you might dislike, but to completely dismiss a whole region’s food? That just doesn’t sit well with me.

You are more than welcome to have your opinion and to like and dislike whatever foods you want. It’s just a personal pet peeve of mine when people are close minded about food.

jarsloth
    Participant

takeasiesta wrote >>
    For example, I make my own cumin powder by first toasting the cumin seeds before grinding them so different warm notes in the spice can come out and be expressed in the final dish.

off-topic a bit, but how do you toast your cumin? i’ve tried a few times and have burned the seeds once and the other times i was paranoid of burning them so don’t think i toasted them enough.

takeasiesta

jarsloth wrote >>

takeasiesta wrote >>
    For example, I make my own cumin powder by first toasting the cumin seeds before grinding them so different warm notes in the spice can come out and be expressed in the final dish.

off-topic a bit, but how do you toast your cumin? i’ve tried a few times and have burned the seeds once and the other times i was paranoid of burning them so don’t think i toasted them enough.

The trick is to toast the cumin at very low heat. If it’s a small amount I will just put them in a frying pan by themselves at “2” or whatever your lowest setting is on your stove top for about 10 minutes. You have to watch them closely until they develop a deep dark brown color right before they turn black and burn. If I’m making a lot of cumin I will spread the seeds on a cookie sheet at 250 degrees F for about 10-15 minutes, again watching them closely for the dark brown color to develop. I then grind them coffee grinder at the finest setting.

jarsloth
    Participant

takeasiesta wrote >>

The trick is to toast the cumin at very low heat. If it’s a small amount I will just put them in a frying pan by themselves at “2” or whatever your lowest setting is on your stove top for about 10 minutes. You have to watch them closely until they develop a deep dark brown color right before they turn black and burn. If I’m making a lot of cumin I will spread the seeds on a cookie sheet at 250 degrees F for about 10-15 minutes, again watching them closely for the dark brown color to develop. I then grind them coffee grinder at the finest setting.

ah; i was doing it in a dry pan over medium-high heat. though i like the cookie sheet idea, too. thanks!

HighLife
    Participant

According to the Valentine’s Day insert in the Tri-Village News, “Aab India Restaurant” is having a Grand Opening. No dates are listed, but the way it’s advertised implies it is open now. (?) Three coupons are included with the advertisement, expiring 3/3/10. The hours listed are 7 days a week, with varying times for lunch and dinner depending on the day. Also advertised: Full Service Bar.

sixby9is42

Bear
    Participant

We all await the official Takeasiesta review. ;-)

takeasiesta

Bear wrote >>
    We all await the official Takeasiesta review. ;-)

Haha, I’ll go anywhere once. I drove by there yesterday but they still aren’t open yet, so I headed up to Bayleaf Indian Bistro at Polaris. [url=http://bayleaf-indiabistro.com/]http://bayleaf-indiabistro.com/[/url] I was very impressed with their lunch buffet spread. Some Indian restaurants will just take the leftovers from last night and present them as the buffet the next day, but that was not the case with Bayleaf. The food was freshly made with salad options and vegetable pakoras (breaded fried mixed vegetables) as appetizers, two types of soups – Dal (spicy lentil soup) and Sweet Corn, and about 8 different entrees. The dishes that stuck out in my mind that I throughly enjoyed were the vegetable pakoras dipped in the brown tamarind sauce, chicken curry which actually reminded me of my mom’s, butter chicken (kind of like chicken curry but with more of a tomato base), and saag aloo (spinach and potato dish). I liked that there were both basmati rice and roti (bread) available. There were also two choices for dessert, a mango puree cornmeal/oatmeal like dessert with almonds on top and fresh cataloupe and honeydew melon with sweet milk on the side, which was a nice finish. The buffet costs around 9 or 10 bucks which is reasonable for a buffet. I had two full plates of food, dessert and a sprite plus tip which was about $12.50 if I remember correctly. The food was fresh, not greasy and there was a great variety including dishes that were vegetarian. I assume the buffet is different everyday. Definitely one of the better Indian restaurants in Columbus to check out.

deraj1013
    Participant

I ate at Bayleaf when it first opened, and I eat there every time I get a chance.

[url=http://deraj1013.blogspot.com/2007/10/bayleaf-india-bistro.html]Bayleaf review[/url]

honavery

Is this place def. open now? Thinking about checking it out this weekend.

honavery

Well, after searching the web for about half an hour, I can’t figure out if this is open or not. No phone number or website I can find, although I found a business first article that says it was supposed to open February 10th. I guess I’ll take my chances and drive over there tonight and see if it’s open and report back. Seems like at the very least they could create a Facebook page.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 133 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.