Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Aab India Restaurant on Grandview Avenue

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Aab India Restaurant on Grandview Avenue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 133 total)
  • Author

Core_Models

heh…it isn’t the cooking that’s the worst alex, its the cleaning. One experience I don’t plan on ever repeating.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

So what’s the “authentic south Indian and Sri Lankan” on Godown by the Jaffa market? As far as I can tell, it’s called Ideal Supermarket. I haven’t gone in yet but I probably should.

JonMyers
    Participant

@TakeASiesta – Well put. I do think the complex flavors can be intimidating and overwhelm American palates.

Writing off Indian food with a broad stroke would be like writing off “American food” (whatever that may be) with a broad stroke.

I remember in India there were 30 – 40 languages on some forms of their currency the Rupee. There is an enormous amount of diversity there, in many ways more diversity than here in the US and definitely more religious diversity and religious tolerance. That range of diversity is reflected in the infinite amounts of subtleties in “Indian food” that break down by regions, ethnicity and tons of other variables.

@pecuniadea @takeasiesta – Thank you for sharing those details on Indian food. I love Udipi and Dosa Corner and some of the other Southern Indian options in town. Now if we can convince them to set up shop downtown. There would be a line down the street. :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

clark909 wrote >>
    Tonight I saw a sign on the old Thom’s Grandview building announcing that it will become an Indian restaurant by the owners of Ambar India in Cincinnati. Based on some quick Google research, this seems like fantastic news. Anybody tried Ambar or know anything about what its owners have in mind for Grandview?
    http://www.ambarindia.com
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/ambar-india-restaurant-cincinnati

Bear
    Participant

Urban Knight wrote >>
    The spices used are often overpowering and offensive, they produce odours that are “foul and unpleasant” as Thomas Paine described it.

Well, consider the source: Paine was described by one of his most prominent biographers as “intemperate… dirty… hypocritical… friendless… parasitical… unpatriotic… [and] wretched” (James Cheetham, [i]The Life of Thomas Paine[/i]). I guess we can add “crappy taste in food” to the list.

rosta

Please, now you’re just throwing more bad journalism on the fire (or in the tandoor). Cheetham and Paine had a lifelong hatred of each other and this book was a complete bash on Paine after his death. Even given the law and slander people could make at the time, and Cheetham owned a strong right wing paper in the day, Cheetham lost a libel lawsuit on that book you quote for his lies.

Thomas Paine was a complex character – loved and hated, often by the same person. He could apparently be gracious on one hand and say something hated on the next. A true patriot? idealist? extremist for sure. Restauranteer?

Having read a couple books on his life, we know very little about him that is true for certain, as the “man” paid for some serious bashing of him after his death (british govt and religeous groups), most of it propogated by that book by Cheetham.

He was British, came to the States and, as I recall, only ever went to France. Was this even a quote regarding Indian food?

I think we can all agree that an excentric 16th century revolutionary firebrand brits opinion is very pertinent to the state of 2010 Indian food in Grandview, Ohio.

We’re very much looking forward to this new restaurant!

Bear
    Participant

Quit eating my troll bait. ;-)

penelopus

[img]http://tesorthene.com/jules/IMG_0826.JPG[/img]

Columbusite

Not the most creative restaurant name, but it picks up where “Korean Restaurant” just north of Lane (where BW3 stands) left off. This is certainly one of the most entertaining restaurant opening threads I’ve read.

clark909

You all need to try Chutny’s (not a typo) at Crosswoods (just north of 270 on High Street). Very, very delicious and reasonable prices. We’ve been twice and each time the place blew us away.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/chutnys-columbus

futureman
    Participant

They have the signs up now, it’s officially called “India Restaurant”. Not the most creative, but hey you at least know what you are getting into.

And Columbusite, can’t forget about Japanese Restaurant in north campus. Goes right along with Korean Restaurant, and FYI Japanese Restaurant is actually owned by Koreans. love it.

Urban Knight

So not only is it “rude” and “immature” to disagree with your food preferences, according to you: I don’t even have the “right” to have an opinion about it. Pray tell, what would grant me this right?

For starters, a complex flavour profile is not indicative of good taste. And by assuming that this aforementioned [i]complex[/i] flavour profile is incomprehensible to me is yet another example of your insulting and [i]not-so complex[/i] elitist statements. Implicit in your remarks is a sort of culinary hegemony. The level of intolerance you have for differing views on taste is frightening. Moreover, I wonder why it is you feel insulted to begin with? One wonders whether or not you are aware of the fact that the saying “You are what you eat” is not meant to be taken literally.

Most importantly, I’m afraid, is that you’ve conflated Indian people with Indian food. Nowhere in my statement did I say anything about Indian people; instead, you extrapolated from my remarks a series of racially-charged statements and, brazenly, attributed them to me. If you told me that you didn’t like apple pie, should I feel insulted as an American? I wouldn’t be. And if you don’t care for fermented cabbage (i.e. Kimchi), should I feel insulted as a person of Korean descent?—not really. It’s pretty spicy and grosses some people out. Kind of like some Indian food.

Lastly, the fact that India is a “hot place” that uses spices for meat preservation is an interesting anecdote, but not at all relevant to our discussion here. Once again, this demonstrates the lengths you’re willing to go to in order to snuff out an opposing point of view: If you do not like Indian food you are indicting an entire population, even the most destitute among them. What infamy!

In actuality, the only outrage here is your faulty reasoning. Good day to you.

takeasiesta wrote >>

Urban Knight wrote >>
    While Indian food is certainly vegetarian friendly (although the [main] reasons for said vegetarianism depend on dubious metaphysics) that is, perhaps, all it has in its favour; for it is–on the whole–a variety of food that one can smell from a kilometre away. The spices used are often overpowering and offensive, they produce odours that are “foul and unpleasant” as Thomas Paine described it. After eating such “food” one always walks away [i]with[/i] the meal and never [i]away[/i] from it. In short, I see no reason for excitement in this particular thread.

As a person of Indian descent, I am thoroughly offended by your post. “The excitement” stems from the fact that there are two Mediterranean places and no Indian restaurant in that vicinity. I currently drive 15-20 minutes out of my way to eat at a good Indian restaurant. Just because your body can’t handle Indian cuisine does not mean you have the right to put down the food of the second highest population in the world. It’s rude and immature of you to insult something that has a complex flavor profile that you don’t understand.
    India is one of the hottest places on earth and the point of those spices was for preservation of meats before there was refrigeration, which many people still don’t have because of the extreme poverty that is still there.

Urban Knight

Are you trolling? I can’t tell. If not, this really is too, too much. Someone on the internet accuses of me hiding behind a screen name while calling me a sissy and a bigot, trying to internet-bully me into submission. Ironic much? Also, this poster should see my comments above about conflating Indian people with Indian culture. And I would gladly take a “stand,” but I think said poster will have more fun pummeling away at the straw-man he/she made instead (which, given the level of the craftsmanship of the straw-man, shows that he/she has a real talent for that sort of thing).

More ironic still, calling Paine an “ancient white guy” demonstrates his relevance insofar as said poster might benefit from a reading of his treatise on “Common Sense.” (Okay, it’s not exactly about [i]common sense[/i] as I intend to mean it here, but the temptation to “zing” was far too great to pass up.)

Matt Wunderle wrote >>

Urban Knight wrote >>
    While Indian food is certainly vegetarian friendly (although the [main] reasons for said vegetarianism depend on dubious metaphysics) that is, perhaps, all it has in its favour; for it is–on the whole–a variety of food that one can smell from a kilometre away. The spices used are often overpowering and offensive, they produce odours that are “foul and unpleasant” as Thomas Paine described it. After eating such “food” one always walks away [i]with[/i] the meal and never [i]away[/i] from it. In short, I see no reason for excitement in this particular thread.

I really wish you did not hide behind a screen name. Way to throw an entire culture under the bus because you can not handle the smell of spice. Well done sissy, maybe you will throw out some anonymous racial quotes supported by ancient white guys to make your bigoted views easier to swallow.
    Maybe if you were really a stand up man or woman you would stand proudly and proclaim your views, but sadly you will not. Thomas Paine would take credit for his views.

catnfiddle
    Participant

In any case, the signs are going up and I’m really looking forward to the opening! We drove past tonight and there IS a name besides just “India Restaurant”, but for some reason the three letters in the name have slipped my mind.

howatzer
    Participant

I don’t know. I want to expand my horizons, be open-minded and all, but the idea of eating monkey brains is just too much.
    [img]http://axisofawesome.net/index/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/monkey_brains.jpg[/img]

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 133 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.