Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Aab India Restaurant on Grandview Avenue

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Aab India Restaurant on Grandview Avenue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 133 total)
  • Author

penelopus

Urban Knight wrote >>
    The spices used are often overpowering and offensive, they produce odours that are “foul and unpleasant” as Thomas Paine described it.

i’ve always thought of mr. paine as being a little hot-headed, so would consume his words with a grain or two of salt. though the popular term was likely unknown to mr. paine, ayurvedic cooking embodies such a (delicious and healthy) cuisine. i can’t wait to get all smelly from ambar!

Urban Knight wrote >>
    While Indian food is certainly vegetarian friendly (although the [main] reasons for said vegetarianism depend on dubious metaphysics) that is, perhaps, all it has in its favour; for it is–on the whole–a variety of food that one can smell from a kilometre away. The spices used are often overpowering and offensive, they produce odours that are “foul and unpleasant” as Thomas Paine described it. After eating such “food” one always walks away with the meal and never away from it. In short, I see no reason for excitement in this particular thread.

I really wish you did not hide behind a screen name. Way to throw an entire culture under the bus because you can not handle the smell of spice. Well done sissy, maybe you will throw out some anonymous racial quotes supported by ancient white guys to make your bigoted views easier to swallow.

Maybe if you were really a stand up man or woman you would stand proudly and proclaim your views, but sadly you will not. Thomas Paine would take credit for his views.

ohiojimmie
    Participant

Columbusite wrote >>
    Aren’t there two Ambars right next to each other in Clifton? Wish I went there instead of a crappy local version of Chipotle. Oh well, now I can.

In defense, I ate at Star of India Restaurant in Athens a week ago and I havn’t smelled the same since. Must have been the tandoori.
    But I am glad for another Indian Restaurant in Columbus because I keep telling my fiance that we need to go to one. This one on Grandview Ave will be super close.

hungrywoolf
    Participant

pixiecrinkle wrote >>
    Ambar in Cinci is one of those awesome places where you can get a sampler dinner on a “silver tray” (that looks like a metal cafeteria tray) and get tastes of all kinds of great stuff on the menu. I am crossing my fingers this one is true.

The sampler plates you are talking about are called ‘thali’ or sometimes ‘tali’. It means plate in hindi. Quite often restaurants will have a vegetarian and meat thali. The South Indian version is sometimes served on a banana leaf instead of a plate. There are a few places in Columbus that offer thali that I know about and I am sure there are others.
    New India on Bethel
    Dosa Corner
    Amul India[/url]
    I think Udipi Cafe does as well but I don’t think they have a website.

A thali is a great way to try a few different dishes and is similar idea to ordering a Japanese bento box lunch.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

God I love Udipi.
    I have to remember to go there soon.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Udipi and Dosa Corner are both great vegetarian (South Indian) restaurants in Columbus. When it comes to North Indian I stick with Taj.

People are telling me to go to Bayleaf at Polaris. Anyone tried it?

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Mister Shifter wrote >>

People are telling me to go to Bayleaf at Polaris. Anyone tried it?

yup… but you knew that.

Bayleaf is really good. A little more expensive then taj (only been for dinner so not sure about lunch) But the menu is also bigger.

I’m excited to try this new place! When does it open?

GW_Justice
    Participant

Urban Knight wrote they produce odours that are “foul and unpleasant” as Thomas Paine described it.

Troll. No instances of this quote found on a quick search.

futureman
    Participant

FYI the phone # listed front window to inquire about jobs is 513-225-5092

pixiecrinkle
    Participant

hungrywoolf wrote >>

There are a few places in Columbus that offer thali that I know about and I am sure there are others.
    New India on Bethel
    Dosa Corner
    Amul India[/url]
    A thali is a great way to try a few different dishes and is similar idea to ordering a Japanese bento box lunch.

Everyone I know loves Dosa Corner, but it’s not my favorite. Udipi on the other hand….awesomeness. And Ambar’s thali is the only one I’ve had that beats Udipi, so that accounts for my excitability in this thread. :)

catnfiddle
    Participant

takeasiesta wrote >>

As a person of Indian descent, I am thoroughly offended by your post. “The excitement” stems from the fact that there are two Mediterranean places and no Indian restaurant in that vicinity. I currently drive 15-20 minutes out of my way to eat at a good Indian restaurant. Just because your body can’t handle Indian cuisine does not mean you have the right to put down the food of the second highest population in the world. It’s rude and immature of you to insult something that has a complex flavor profile that you don’t understand.
    India is one of the hottest places on earth and the point of those spices was for preservation of meats before there was refrigeration, which many people still don’t have because of the extreme poverty that is still there.

Wow, you SO totally rock. Rockmastermike and I agree we’d love to meet you at this new place for dinner when it opens. Can you help me order as I’m never sure what to get?

pecuniadea

hungrywoolf wrote >>

pixiecrinkle wrote >>
    Ambar in Cinci is one of those awesome places where you can get a sampler dinner on a “silver tray” (that looks like a metal cafeteria tray) and get tastes of all kinds of great stuff on the menu. I am crossing my fingers this one is true.

The sampler plates you are talking about are called ‘thali’ or sometimes ‘tali’. It means plate in hindi. Quite often restaurants will have a vegetarian and meat thali. The South Indian version is sometimes served on a banana leaf instead of a plate. There are a few places in Columbus that offer thali that I know about and I am sure there are others.
    New India on Bethel
    Dosa Corner
    Amul India[/url]

just a little clarification from cbus south indian…thali is actually the necklace that a bride is given during a south indian hindu wedding ceremony (kind of like a wedding ring) so the “thali” plate, as it’s a circle, is in a way a symbol of the hindu marriage (the wedding is sealed by the bride and groom walking around the fire seven times, after receiving garlands, after the bride receiving the thali, etc). so the “thali” plate is the complete meal; rice, lentil, vegetable, yogurt, maybe an idli (steamed rice cake) or a chapati (wheat bread), and a sweet.

in south india, the banana leaf is used at temples and weddings, frequently because the plates are too expensive, and banana leaves are readily available (like, you can get them from the street if need be).

ambar is for sure a north indian restaurant. amar india in dayton’s sister restaurant is here in columbus if anyone wants to try it (amul, on sawmill next to the old thai orchid. great vindaloo). udipi is food from one region of india (my home region actually), the state of karnataka, specifically the mysore style of cooking, whereas banana leaf is a mix of all vegetarian indian food. i’d definitely recommend going for high tea, where you get a sample of the chaat (like indian nachos), south indian filter coffee or chai.

i am hoping ambar’s buffet is great–will look forward to not having to drive up to bayleaf for quality weekend fixes :)

@catnfiddle – Haha, I’m flattered. I would love to! My heritage is a very complicated story so I don’t claim to be an expert on Indian food but I know enough to fake my way through it. There are so many regional variations of Indian food and pecuniadea just put everything I know to shame. Menus can be intimidating but they aren’t totally impossible to navigate if you know what you are looking for. Usually the naming of dishes is very deliberate and there are key words to look for. For example “aloo” means potato and “gobhi” means cauliflower so Aloo gobhi is potatoes and califlower in a north Indian style flavorful spiced sauce usually served with rice. Chole is one of my favorite dishes which is a chickpea central dish. I tend to go vegetarian when I’m at Indian restaurants just because it’s “safe” and if they get that right I might spring for lamb curry or chicken curry next time. Usually the rule for me is if they can’t get a vegetarian dish right then they probably suck at everything. I’m a little biased but my mom’s cooking will always be the best for me since she’s figured out how to make it flavorful without being greasy which is my #1 complaint with most Indian restaurants. Also she’ll go out of her way to make her own spices, like toasting cumin in the oven before grinding it in a coffee grinder which gives it an extra depth of flavor. I can cook a little Indian food myself but that woman puts me to shame. Maybe next time I go to Cleveland to visit her I can bring some back for you guys. :)

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Urban Knight wrote >>
    they produce odours that are “foul and unpleasant”

*shrug* a lot of people hate the smells of sesame oil or garlic, too.

*edited to add* I once walked into a house where chitterlings were cooking. Once.

@takeasiesta Great comment about a vegetarian entree as a test, that’s a keeper.

goldenidea
    Participant

I enjoy rolling into Udipi for their weekday lunch buffet special. It’s all very interesting but I’m never quite sure what I’m supposed to put in those little metal bowls… fill them w/one of the chutneys or one of those soups(?), or something further down the line? Then do you eat the bowl of chutney by itself or use it as sauce for the rice cake or something else??? There’s lots of great flavors, but I suspect I do the equivalent to pouring ketchup on my oatmeal.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 133 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: