Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Lucky's Farmers Market - New Grocery Store in Clintonville

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Lucky's Farmers Market – New Grocery Store in Clintonville

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
  • Author

Luckys Market
    Participant

Hi everybody,

Thank you for the kind words and ideas for what we can do to meet everyone’s needs.

We are working with our local bakeries about how to match our needs and their production. The demand for local bread was incredible- it was flying off the shelves! It’s really important to us to be able to use as many local vendors as we can, so we are invested in working through all of these issues from the first few days with them.

We’re making sure all of the feedback we hear- from places like CU, Facebook comments, neighborhood talk, etc- is getting to the right folks in our store, so keep it coming, please! Please feel free to email us, too- you can email me directly at [email protected].

We’ve been really grateful for the response from our community, and are genuinely thrilled to be open and bringing people healthful food options, supporting local producers, and being a positive presence here in Clintonville. Thank you for your patience as we work to make sure we’re doing everything we can to give you a great experience with us, and more thanks for all of the love and excitement you have shown us- we are so proud and happy to be here!

Ned23
    Participant

DouginCMH said:
    I did have a staff member there ask me if tahini was a ‘kind of pasta sauce’ .

Well, technically, you can use tahini on pasta. It can be used to make a dairy-free sauce that resembles alfredo sauce, or a garlic sauce.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

We’re having our first Gluten-Free Walkabout this Thursday! Join us for this informative store tour, where we take you through our gluten-free products and share tips on gluten-free cooking (and eating!). Our walkabouts are always free- you can register by sending us a message on Facebook, or by emailing [email protected]. There is life after gluten, we swear!

LINK

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Boneless skinless chicken breasts for 99 cents a pound?

Hell yes we will impulse buy 15 pounds of that!

News
    Participant

Treat to Try: Layer Ice Box Cookies
    Published on December 7, 2013 10:20 am
    By: Miriam Bowers Abbott

Lucky’s Market has a bakery section that features the wares of all sorts of local bakers: Glad Annie’s, Buckeye Donuts, Pattycake Bakery and something new from Layer Cakery.

You may be familiar with Layer’s Oatmeal Carmelita bars, chocolate chip cookies and frosted cookies. You’ll find them in lots of local baked goods sections. Layer’s got a little something new in the refrigerator section: Layer Ice Box Cookies.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/treat-to-try-layer-ice-box-cookies

Bear
    Participant

Walker said:
    Boneless skinless chicken breasts for 99 cents a pound?

Hell yes we will impulse buy 15 pounds of that!

Hormone- and antibiotic-free, too. Got some myself. Huge goddamned things—wouldn’t want to meet that chicken in a dark alley.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Went to Lucky’s for the first time last Thursday. It was great, we spent a good hour just browsing and ended up with a bunch of cool GF stuff for the wife and $0.50 avocados. Great store, glad to have it here.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

speaking of Lucky’s, I heard some strange rumor facts about Chinese investors and green cards..

Colorado based Lucky’s Farmers Market is to launch its EB-5 capital raising campaign in Shanghai. A promotional seminar is hosted by Chinese emigration agency January 12, 2013, the chain’s senior VP Jason Brown will be presenting the project to potential investors. The new direct EB-5 project will allow the chain to open more shops in other part of the country through EB-5 finance. Direct EB-5 investment opportunities are gaining popularity amongst Chinese investors.

http://eb5news.blogspot.com/2013/01/report-from-china-luckys-farmers-market.html

from wikipedia:
    The EB-5 visa for Immigrant Investors is a United States visa created by the Immigration Act of 1990. This visa provides a method of obtaining a green card for foreign nationals who invest money in the United States.[1] To obtain the visa, individuals must invest $1,000,000 (or at least $500,000 in a “Targeted Employment Area” – high unemployment or rural area), creating or preserving at least 10 jobs for U.S. workers excluding the investor and their immediate family.[1]

I’m not sure I have a problem with the EB-5 concept, its just a little weird to know that it might play a part in the demise of some local stores.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was lured into Lucky’s by buy one get one grass fed beef chuck. I was also after some fish to fry. While the butcher was weighing the roasts, I noticed the house smoked orange honey bacon and thought it would be good with some Brussels sprouts I was cooking that night. The butcher asked if I’d had it before, and I hadn’t, so she wrote no charge on the package. Then when I pointed out that I was undercharged for the perch, she got her supervisor to try to fix it, but nobody knew how, so I saved $7.00 per pound.
    Doesn’t seem like a sustainable business model, but what do I know?

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

0Angle said:
    I was lured into Lucky’s by buy one get one grass fed beef chuck. I was also after some fish to fry. While the butcher was weighing the roasts, I noticed the house smoked orange honey bacon and thought it would be good with some Brussels sprouts I was cooking that night. The butcher asked if I’d had it before, and I hadn’t, so she wrote no charge on the package. Then when I pointed out that I was undercharged for the perch, she got her supervisor to try to fix it, but nobody knew how, so I saved $7.00 per pound.
    Doesn’t seem like a sustainable business model, but what do I know?

Actually treating people well is a very sustainable business model. You had a good experience there, shared that experience with others and did it an authentic way. That kind of “word of mouth” marketing is priceless.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If I hadn’t bought anything else besides the free or half price stuff, I think that they would have lost money on me. I ended up spending close to $60 so they probably broke even. I’m happy to have another place to buy *good* food from nice people in the neighborhood.
    And the free bacon might have tasted just as good if I’d been charged for it.
    I sure wish them the best.

smeej
    Participant

Re: the way employees are treated, the wages at Lucky’s are quite competitive for the industry. I can actually afford to turn around and shop there. They have a philosophy that promotes taking good care of their staff, and there’s a nice set of benefits–health insurance options, regular PTO and special PTO for completing community service effective from day 1, a good discount and more. The management is supportive and helpful. It’s a very good gig for the food retail industry. I actually look forward to going to work, because people have great attitudes and we’re enabled to have fun taking care of the customers.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

smeej said:
    Re: the way employees are treated, the wages at Lucky’s are quite competitive for the industry. I can actually afford to turn around and shop there. They have a philosophy that promotes taking good care of their staff, and there’s a nice set of benefits–health insurance options, regular PTO and special PTO for completing community service effective from day 1, a good discount and more. The management is supportive and helpful. It’s a very good gig for the food retail industry. I actually look forward to going to work, because people have great attitudes and we’re enabled to have fun taking care of the customers.

Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted as time goes on. I’m a dedicated member of the Clintonville Community Market.

Ned23
    Participant

smeej said:
    Re: the way employees are treated, the wages at Lucky’s are quite competitive for the industry…

Can you elaborate on that? What is your source of information? Giant Eagle and Kroger both have union scale positions, Giant Eagle a little more so. Trader Joe’s and Aldi also pay pretty well, and of course Costco is the gold standard. When I asked at Lucky’s they would only tell me that they paid more than minimum but they would not elaborate on how much. So, I would love more specific information if you have it.

smeej
    Participant

Can you elaborate on that? What is your source of information?

I work at Lucky’s and I’ve worked at Kroger and Clintonville Community Market, both UFCW shops and I was a shop steward at the latter for about a year, attending meetings and conferences with mostly Kroger people. Lucky’s is merit and experience based, but unions set the standards for the baseline grocery store wages here in Kroger-ized Central Ohio, so it’s certainly along those lines or more. I do roughly the same job (purchasing and stocking being the majority of my day) as I did at CCM and my rate of pay is the same as that of a 6 or maybe 8 year employee at the co-op, I can’t remember but something wild like that.

Obviously Kroger/Giant Eagle stores have the group size advantage for health benefits, but Lucky’s offerings are still pretty affordable; better than some I’ve seen. For example, the co-op, actually. Next year they’ll be doing away with healthcare altogether. The consolation given to the employees was “most of you will be eligible for Medicaid under the expansion.”

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: